when arranging..

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nepotist

Post by nepotist » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:20 am

If you start in Session and record into Arrangement, then do a bunch of editing in arrangement, how do you copy it back into Session for mixing or more screwing around? I like the idea of flopping back and forth in a sort of continuous remix but I'm not sure how its done?

musicmachine

Post by musicmachine » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:24 am

nepotist wrote:If you start in Session and record into Arrangement, then do a bunch of editing in arrangement, how do you copy it back into Session for mixing or more screwing around? I like the idea of flopping back and forth in a sort of continuous remix but I'm not sure how its done?
Grab you clips with the mouse and hit tab and the view will change from arrangement to session view and you can drop your clips onto a track :wink:

nepotist

Post by nepotist » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:51 am

awesome thanks for the help!

nowtime

Post by nowtime » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:54 am

musicmachine wrote:
nepotist wrote:If you start in Session and record into Arrangement, then do a bunch of editing in arrangement, how do you copy it back into Session for mixing or more screwing around? I like the idea of flopping back and forth in a sort of continuous remix but I'm not sure how its done?
Grab you clips with the mouse and hit tab and the view will change from arrangement to session view and you can drop your clips onto a track :wink:
Yes, but it will not keep your automation envelopes. They are left sadly and uselessly behind in the Arrange View. :cry: This should be "fixed" by this time next year.
Life is Good

bobbyduracel

Re: when arranging..

Post by bobbyduracel » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:47 am

Grab you clips with the mouse and hit tab and the view will change from arrangement to session view and you can drop your clips onto a track
Well. I just solved one mystery. THANKS!

This is only my 8th day with Live and the list of questions is surprisingly short. Solid app with a logical and intuitive layout. I think I'll uninstall Logic Studio from the notebook for awhile and just focus on Live. It'll be on the desktop should I need it. :)

I first used scenes/clips with Maschine when I picked that up a few weeks ago and i thought "BRILLIANT! I must get live!".

Go figure.
#livefullycharged

silveriofunk

Post by silveriofunk » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:48 am

session view works wonders for me... once i discovered i could not think of working in the arrangement like i used to!
don't get me wrong, i use both all the time, but i always start with session view and the finish with the arrangement, i rarely start to work on the arrangement biew (unless i'm remixing a track, then i start there, go to the session view to jam and come back to the arrangement to edit). 60/40 i would say

Peace

ChiDJ

Post by ChiDJ » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:48 pm

Session View is the magic of LIVE. But, here's the rub for me;

I write using both session and arrangement at the same time. AFAIK, this is not possible with LIVE alone. So I have a dual monitor set-up with a timeline DAW on the left, (Digital Performer) and LIVE's session on the right rewired into DP.

Bouncing loops and full arrangements in and out of each. Faster workflow, increased flexibility and spontaneity.

YMMV

-Tod
"Let you're body feel the sound! Let it cover you up and down!"

evon

Post by evon » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:46 pm

I do all my writing and mixing in Session. When I get a set of tracks to sound like what I had in mind, I then "save as" or "save a copy". I then open the copy and do some hardcore tweaking and experiment with all kinds of effects. If a track get messed up, I can delete that one and go back and drag the original track back into the copy project via the Browser button.

When I am satisfied, I record to arrangement, and export as a wav file. Then take this file to a sound editor for mastering.

One advantage for me is that I use the original copy to make notes of especially the various unusual presets used from Reason or FLStudio, which are my main source of drum tracks.
fe real!

Nick the Zombie

Post by Nick the Zombie » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:26 pm

I put together a few loops in session view to get the general vibe of the track going, and then drag those clips over to arrange view and do all the rest in the traditional, linear way, including writing new parts as they come to me. Basically, I see session view as a way to develop my initial inspiration. Been very happy with this workflow!

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:31 pm

I'm forced to do a lot of my stuff in arrangement simply because session can't record what I am playing.

I often forget this and start recording something like a 'wah-wah guitar' part into session only to have it play back without any footpedal automation!

well, that's why I work in arrangement most of the time.

Daim

Post by Daim » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:39 pm

The new sharing function is (will be) great to have a look at how others work with Live.

evon

Post by evon » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:52 pm

Angstrom wrote:I'm forced to do a lot of my stuff in arrangement simply because session can't record what I am playing.

I often forget this and start recording something like a 'wah-wah guitar' part into session only to have it play back without any footpedal automation!

You have the option to record automation (into the arrangement) while in the session view and then drag the track from the arrangement back into session as a clip. I suspect you know this already, so how does it affect your workflow?
fe real!

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:59 pm

evon wrote:
Angstrom wrote:I'm forced to do a lot of my stuff in arrangement simply because session can't record what I am playing.

You have the option to record automation (into the arrangement) while in the session view and then drag the track from the arrangement back into session as a clip. I suspect you know this already, so how does it affect your workflow?
no, that doesn't work unfortunately. I'm not sure why you think it does.

For example - one of my standard racks is a 'wah' that is constructed from an EQ8 with lots of other stuff. The 'wah' frequency is assigned via its macro to my midi pedal. If I record some electric piano into Arrangement while wobbling the wah pedal and then play it back from Arrangemnt - it plays back just like I played it in.
But, if I drag that clip from Arrangement into session it will play back with the wah completely frozen. There is no automation. Session clips have 'modulation' which is relative to the Arrangement's 'Automation', but they are two different things.

This is because session does not record or play back automation of assigned controls. As soon as you assing a midi dial or pedal to a Live control, then that midi data and item will not be recorded in Session
It's quite a well known problem and probably been top of the wishlist for a long long time.

musicmachine

Post by musicmachine » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:50 pm

bobbyduracel wrote:
Grab you clips with the mouse and hit tab and the view will change from arrangement to session view and you can drop your clips onto a track
Well. I just solved one mystery. THANKS!

This is only my 8th day with Live and the list of questions is surprisingly short. Solid app with a logical and intuitive layout. I think I'll uninstall Logic Studio from the notebook for awhile and just focus on Live. It'll be on the desktop should I need it. :)

I first used scenes/clips with Maschine when I picked that up a few weeks ago and i thought "BRILLIANT! I must get live!".

Go figure.

Hehe! Glad it helped! The shortcuts really help with the workflow in live so they're well worth learning as you'll probably be switching between session, arrangement and clip view a lot. Another good use of that switching is copying several clips from your scene into the arrangement view and consoldating them then copying it back. I know that's what follow actions art for but it's a good way of freeing up some clip slots and streamlining your session. :)

How is maschine? Does it integrate well with live?
Dell Inspiron 1525|Live 8.03|Akai MPC1000|Waldorf Blofeld||NI AK1|Event TR8s|