brain for your DIY MIDI controller

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
beats me

brain for your DIY MIDI controller

Post by beats me » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:12 am

The people that brought you this thing

Now bring you this thing

http://lividinstruments.com/hardware_midiy.php

Just thought I would share cause I know some of you are into making frankencontrollers. I'm not even sure what this thing does because I am more into the first thing than the second thing.

Anybody into any of this? Hello?

the0verclock

Post by the0verclock » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:27 am

yes indeed. i am into it for sure. been using a few different circuits for this purpose. i like the looks of this in that it has so many inputs. the only downside is that there it is completely one-directional. most of the time that's ok for me though. thanks for the tip.

doesn't seem to be available yet though.

- b

metafactor

Post by metafactor » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:28 am

check out Doepfer's site as well. They have some midi brains set up for power supplies and usb. All you need to add are the potentiometers, knobs, sliders, and the case.

dcease

Re: brain for your DIY MIDI controller

Post by dcease » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:54 am

beats me wrote:The people that brought you this thing

wow, that looks cool! not too expensive... any one with experience with this thing? rackmount, huh? hmmm, never can have enough buttons, knobs, and sliders, and the way y'all carry on about the automap crap, well i have keys that work. i'd just like some more knobs and such. the remote zero is kinda ugly, and this thing rackmounts...mmm...glowing lights! well, maybe it is a little pricey on second thought...

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:00 am

the0verclock wrote:
doesn't seem to be available yet though.

- b
I'm not screaming vaperware here but I will just say that Livid has had it's moments of long turn out periods from the time they publicly display their prototype picture and the time it arrives on your porch. But that might have to do with demand and order requests too. I don't think there would be as much demand for this as the Ohm controller.

At any rate, there's another thing for you mad scientists to keep your eye on.

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:03 am

you love that company now don't you.

Why don't you marry them!?

beats me

Re: brain for your DIY MIDI controller

Post by beats me » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:06 am

dcease wrote:
beats me wrote:The people that brought you this thing

wow, that looks cool! not too expensive... any one with experience with this thing? rackmount, huh? hmmm, never can have enough buttons, knobs, and sliders, and the way y'all carry on about the automap crap, well i have keys that work. i'd just like some more knobs and such. the remote zero is kinda ugly, and this thing rackmounts...mmm...glowing lights! well, maybe it is a little pricey on second thought...
I have one and I've blabbed on about it a lot on here. So the short of it is the lights are brilliantly and blindingly blue, it's build solid and heavy, and it only has 1 way (out) communication with no "brain" or presets so you just have to use Live's mapping feature to get the controls to the functions you want. It also comes with the Union VJ software.

In summary: It's more sexy than practical depending on how deep you want to program things.

funkdefino

Post by funkdefino » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:28 am

Available at the end of December?

JEEZ!
What is that? A .38?

38, 39, whatever it takes.

chrysalis33rpm

Post by chrysalis33rpm » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:47 pm

OK, but seriously what are the options for a DIY controller brain? Let's count:

1) midibox.org
2) doepfer(?)
3) arduino
4) cycling74(?)

what else is out there?

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:25 pm

if it only has an output...
then how do ya program it...???
absolutely no details...
looks kinda limited really

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:42 pm

3dot... wrote:if it only has an output...
then how do ya program it...???
absolutely no details...
looks kinda limited really
It's like their full controller boxes: Outputs midi notes 0-127 (assumably on midi channel 1) and midi cc#s 0-31, also probably on midi channel 1.

I reckon it's the perfect little board... although kind of lame to use an actual midi output, when it should have been USB, for my money. Way too much inherent latency in hardware midi transfer, if you ask me.

If this one comes in at under 100$ it should sell well, I reckon. Closest competition is... well, not a lot, really.

32skins

Post by 32skins » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:20 pm

does anybody know where i can by pot meters taht will fit the POCKET ELECTRONIC (http://www.doepfer.de/home_e.htm)
i'm have absolutely no experience but i would like to build one:)
cheerz

julienb

Post by julienb » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:55 am

for those interested in Wiring board as the brain of a controller, I began that:
http://wiring.org.co/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB. ... 1208346187
Julien Bayle
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

art + teaching/consulting
ableton certified trainer
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

julienb

Post by julienb » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:22 am

I opened a post here about diy hardware:

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=
Julien Bayle

art + teaching/consulting
ableton certified trainer

elementv

Post by elementv » Thu May 01, 2008 12:58 pm

I talked to someone at Livid last night and they said the diy would be available soon. They also told me they are releasing an editor that is going to let me change the midi settings on my ohm as well as change it to osc... now abletone needs to let me use osc! he also told me about the live ohm videos http://www.lividserver.com/media/mov/li ... epart1.mov