monome opinions

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:54 pm

Yeah I know it's really not fair to compare monomes to the lemur other than they are both controllers but beyond live performance I'm looking at what would give me the most creative options, and not to be an Apple drone, but "think different".

Shit, god knows I won't get either of these things, but I'll probably be sitting at my desk in a cold sweat at 10:30 AM PST tomorrow when the monomes go on sale.

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:01 pm

beats me wrote:but I'll probably be sitting at my desk in a cold sweat at 10:30 AM PST tomorrow when the monomes go on sale.
lol

I'm gonna pick up a 64.
The dollar is weak, so very weak - mwuhaha
*tug*

but the EU, they want a piece of the pie. Those son's of bitches will fuck me for 21% at the depot.
spreader of butter

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:07 pm

Goddamnit, just the competition on this board alone makes me want to go for it like an ebay sniper. For the last month every time the monome was brought up on here I was like "STFU!!! Nothing to see here!!" I almost wanted to take the day off work tomorrow because I know some slow ass talking customer is going to call with an issue at 10:28 and then our internet connection will go down at 10:29.

But seriously people, you should buy a lemur. leeeeee-mur. Not a monome. Or at least take a couple days to think about that monome purchase. Get one Monday if you decide you still want it.

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:14 pm

I saw it first motherfucker :twisted:
spreader of butter

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:22 pm

lalalalalalal lalala la lalal lalala must ......ignore .........thread.

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:28 pm

icedsushi wrote:I'm tempted to get one tommorrow, but I fear I will spend more time geeking out, setting templates, etc, which will reduce the time I spend actually making music. I have enough distractions as it is! (Like downloading software updates, trying new plugins and so on...)
This was my fear, that id get one and just geek out programming the crap out of it...Had me a 128 now for about a week and have barely done any programming, just tweaking a couple apps here and there, but nothing substantial. There are so many good apps there already, no real need to geek...
icedsushi wrote:Like microtonic for example...maybe I could just program the patterns in with the mouse and all the parts would be done in half the time it would take just trying to configure this thing to work in that particular song.
Molar - Molar - Molar - great VST step sequencer groovebox and Live looper thingie...way simple to get going with, but extremely powerful if you want to dig in. You can Program beats in minutes using that and impulse, drum racks, microtonic, battery....
icedsushi wrote: Yes I know it's more for a live performance tool than to speed up production. So let's look at the live concept. Even then, check out the videos of people watching him play the monome in front of a sitting audience. The people look bored as hell! Programming step sequences part by part is too low level to visually keep anyone's attention, yet non-visually, music created by one person from a blank pallette tends to not be complex enough to set a mood for people who are listening as background music while having drinks, etc.
Thats his style, but doesnt mean you have to go down that route. Its just a block of 64 buttons, you can do whatever your creativity limits you to do...

I don't know...some reason I'm totally on the fence about this one. I'm hoping someone convinces me it does some things the padKontrol can't do and it's easy enough to use that I don't end up going down an endless rabbit hole of max/msp geekiness. :lol:[/quote]

For me the only thing that it can do that the pK cant do is not have to toggle back and forth between banks of pads as you have 64 buttons in front of you or 128... Id recommend getting two then you have a 128...

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:00 pm

I'm getting 16 of them.
Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams

icedsushi

Post by icedsushi » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:11 pm

mike@TrackTeam Audio wrote: Molar - Molar - Molar - great VST step sequencer groovebox and Live looper thingie...
link please?

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:16 pm

icedsushi wrote:
mike@TrackTeam Audio wrote: Molar - Molar - Molar - great VST step sequencer groovebox and Live looper thingie...
link please?
http://monome.org/data/app

you should get familiar with the monome site.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:16 pm

Maybe I'll wait until they come out with the 4X240 configuration that also doubles as a leather studded belt.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:08 pm

sparklepuff wrote:I'm getting 16 of them.
Ah, the much-covetted onethousandandtwentyfour - comes with one of these - 8 ports on either side:

doc holiday

Post by doc holiday » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:37 pm

beats me wrote:Maybe I'll wait until they come out with the 4X240 configuration that also doubles as a leather studded belt.

I'm just waiting for the 420 configuration.

nah... i want to buy two kits and sell one to fund the operation

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:40 pm

doc holiday wrote:
beats me wrote:Maybe I'll wait until they come out with the 4X240 configuration that also doubles as a leather studded belt.

I'm just waiting for the 420 configuration.

nah... i want to buy two kits and sell one to fund the operation
you're cool, but buying two and selling one is pretty shady, it's pretty
much on the same level as scalping tickets. people wait in line for that shit,
they pay to get one but some get shut out because a few people want to jack
the price on theirs to help themselves. ya dig?
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

doc holiday

Post by doc holiday » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:42 pm

^^^ not quite the same as scalping

because it's some work to build the kit, but quite a discount.

so... i'd sell it for a similar price to buy an assembled monome

of course unless it gets bid on higher

kits go on sale next month

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:47 pm

doc holiday wrote:^^^ not quite the same as scalping

because it's some work to build the kit, but quite a discount.

so... i'd sell it for a similar price to buy an assembled monome

of course unless it gets bid on higher

kits go on sale next month
I can guarantee you that your plan is totally half baked. there's no way
you can build one, put a case on it and sell it for any significant profit if
you sell it for the same cost of what the monomes are selling finished
64s for.

feel free to try to prove me wrong, I ran the numbers on this project about 9
months ago, before the kits were announced and I thought the only way I
could get one was to make my own.

you haven't really thought this through. the monomes' margins aren't
what you think they might be.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz