[ot] Should I bother seeing Cloverfield?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
sweetjesus
Posts: 8803
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:12 pm
Location: www.fridge.net.au
Contact:

[ot] Should I bother seeing Cloverfield?

Post by sweetjesus » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:41 pm

Hello

I'm not a big fan of going to the cinema but some movies are cinematic and deep down you know they need to be seen on the big screen.

Is Cloverfield one of those movies? Is it actually good and worth seeing or just wait for it to come to download si.. i mean DVD..

substance_g
Posts: 486
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:30 pm
Location: Berlin
Contact:

Post by substance_g » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:45 pm

Haven't seen it myself either, but it got a good review here - http://www.avclub.com/content/cinema/cloverfield - and I usually trust their opinion on pretty much everything :)
MBP-Live7-Oxygen8-Ultralite-UC33e-WaldorfPulse

beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Post by beats me » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:49 pm

Neb and I saw it. Highly recommend it. I think it's a theater worthy movie because on the small screen I think it would come out a little campy and I'd even say some of the scenes wouldn't be clear or translate well on a small screen. After all, the thing is filmed with a handheld camcorder...or at least made to look like it was. Do your DJ gigs look better in person or on youtube?

nebulae
Posts: 15715
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:16 am
Location: New Orleans
Contact:

Post by nebulae » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:57 pm

Agreed with Beats. It's a good piece of entertainment, and the camera work is outstanding. I was getting queasy toward the end of the movie, but that could just be because of three days of nonstop boozin'


SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by nebulae on Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image Image

sweetjesus
Posts: 8803
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:12 pm
Location: www.fridge.net.au
Contact:

Post by sweetjesus » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:00 am

ok i think i'll give this a try..

i bet the cloverfield monster turns out to be robert henke or nebulae..

:P

ill eat someting really sloppy beforehand and leave a surprise for the theater if the motion sickness gets overwhealming

nebulae
Posts: 15715
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:16 am
Location: New Orleans
Contact:

Post by nebulae » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:09 am

sweetjesus wrote:ok i think i'll give this a try..

i bet the cloverfield monster turns out to be robert henke or nebulae..

:P

ill eat someting really sloppy beforehand and leave a surprise for the theater if the motion sickness gets overwhealming
Now that's a fucking good idea...make sure it's got nasty refried beans and cheese.


Also, regarding the monster...you be the judge:

ImageImage
Image Image Image Image

simpleton
Posts: 913
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:44 pm
Location: Location: Location:

Post by simpleton » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:32 am

So this is just a hyped up version of The Blob? That "monster" seems kinda jiggly.
Image
The Leveller wrote:Wow, a weird shaped dead coral with sh!t stuck to it. Proof indeed of supernatural abilities.

nebulae
Posts: 15715
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:16 am
Location: New Orleans
Contact:

Post by nebulae » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:33 am

it's basically Godzilla but from the perspective of the humans being squished/eaten/mutilated.
Image Image Image Image

beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Post by beats me » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:44 am

nebulae wrote:it's basically Godzilla but from the perspective of the humans being squished/eaten/mutilated.
WRONG!! It's a story of two lovers who had been friends all their lives until one magical night when their love and attraction were both realized and acted upon....but this night only caused confusion as both their lives were going in different directions. It could never work....or could it?! There are times in our lives when you don't realize what is important to you until everything and everyone you know is getting crushed and trampled into smitherines. This is that moment. This is that story.

nebulae
Posts: 15715
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:16 am
Location: New Orleans
Contact:

Post by nebulae » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:46 am

beats me wrote:
nebulae wrote:it's basically Godzilla but from the perspective of the humans being squished/eaten/mutilated.
WRONG!! It's a story of two lovers who had been friends all their lives until one magical night when their love and attraction were both realized and acted upon....but this night only caused confusion as both their lives were going in different directions. It could never work....or could it?! There are times in our lives when you don't realize what is important to you until everything and everyone you know is getting crushed and trampled into smitherines. This is that moment. This is that story.
You had me at "WRONG!!".
Image Image Image Image

Tarekith
Posts: 17724
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:46 pm
Location: Ableton Forum Administrator
Contact:

Post by Tarekith » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:53 am

I saw this yesterday, it's an awesome movie IMO, and DEFINITELY a theater movie. Nice and loud, lots of explosions and roars and other cool sound effects. It's not the best movie in the world, but it's definitely better than I was expecting.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
Inner Portal Studio - Professional Audio Mastering

nebulae
Posts: 15715
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:16 am
Location: New Orleans
Contact:

Post by nebulae » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:53 am

Tarekith wrote:I saw this yesterday, it's an awesome movie IMO, and DEFINITELY a theater movie. Nice and loud, lots of explosions and roars and other cool sound effects. It's not the best movie in the world, but it's definitely better than I was expecting.
did you get queasy toward the end?
Image Image Image Image

Pitch Black
Posts: 6451
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2002 2:18 am
Location: Auckland New Zealand
Contact:

Post by Pitch Black » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:11 am

sit well back from the screen, they say...

Pitch Black
Posts: 6451
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2002 2:18 am
Location: Auckland New Zealand
Contact:

Post by Pitch Black » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:12 am

PS Neb, What about a SPOILER ALERT!!!!!?????????


Bastard.

Tarekith
Posts: 17724
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:46 pm
Location: Ableton Forum Administrator
Contact:

Post by Tarekith » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:57 am

I didn't get queesy at all, after a couple minutes I barely noticed the whole hand held aspect. Then again Blair witch didn't bug me either. Was pretty funny seeing signs all over the theater warning against motion sickness.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
Inner Portal Studio - Professional Audio Mastering

Post Reply