Should I get Suite if I use Live primarily to DJ?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
lunarhostility

Should I get Suite if I use Live primarily to DJ?

Post by lunarhostility » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:59 pm

As my post title says I use Live + a BCR2000 to DJ and am considering getting either a Padkontrol to trigger samples during my set or buying Suite to make new samples / sounds to integrate into it. Which would be the smarter investment? Is Suite only useful if you want to make whole original tracks, or is sampler + operator + drum machines a good way to make new track elements to integrate into preexisting songs? Also I don't have any sort of MIDI keyboard so I worry that I wouldn't get much out of Analog and Tension - are they still useful without one in the context I mentioned? Thanks for reading/responding!

dCross

Post by dCross » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:07 pm

(Full disclosure: I work for Ableton, so take my words with a grain of salt.)

All the extra instruments and samples inside of Suite could be used in a live performance....

That said, if my main goal for Live stemmed from traditional DJ technique, and if I had a limited budget, I'd probably use my money to get Live + hardware instead of Live + bundled instruments....

That said, Suite gives you a crapload of integrated extras inside one package, and is a steal (IMHO) if you're upgrading to it....

Overall, it's a personal decision: if your DJ technique involves a ton of sample creation, then the production-oriented extras in Suite may be a good fit for you. If you're just playing other people's music and samples, normal Live 7 will do you fine.
David Cross
Public Media Coordinator
Ableton Inc. (NYC)

cross@ableton.com