All times are UTC

Post subject: legato mode in drum rack?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:21 pm 

Question for Live 7 users: I'm guessing the answer is no, but can you do legato mode in drum racks?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:46 pm 

Wrong, the answer is yes. You can do it in any clip. But then again, if you mean can you play individual samples/loops of the drum rack in legato mode, the answer is no.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:34 pm 

Do you mean one drum voice cutting off another?

like one hi-hat cuts off another?

because that is absolutely possible in drum racks and has a major section dedicated to exactly that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:41 pm 

Quote:

because that is absolutely possible in drum racks and has a major section dedicated to exactly that.

Been meaning to add that for the last 45 minutes or so, but been busy all the time. Thanks for addition Angstroem, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:01 pm 

Angstrom wrote:

No, wouldn't that be mute groups?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:12 pm 

LeifonMars wrote:
Wrong, the answer is yes. You can do it in any clip. But then again, if you mean can you play individual samples/loops of the drum rack in legato mode, the answer is no.

Perhaps we have different understanding of legato mode but what I'm talking about is a new sample taking over a previous sample in the same play position of the previous sample when the new sample is triggered . I know you can do this in session slots, but can you do this in drum racks with simpler/sampler?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:20 pm 

blinkeye wrote:
Angstrom wrote:

No, wouldn't that be mute groups?

yes it would,
but you know - sometimes we get people on here who aren't really up on the terminology so I have to use my answer shotgun ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:33 pm 

ok. so the answer seems to be no then. that's really too bad. i really like being able to mix and match whether a clip is legato or not and I was hoping I could use drum racks for that to justify upgrading to Live 7. Guess I'll have to live with session slots...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:34 pm 

well, there's still a bit of confusion here - " i really like being able to mix and match whether a clip is legato or not " . What's the problem ?

Drum rack clips can of course be legato mode. they are just clips, midi clips same as any other live clip ... the drum rack has no bearing on whether the clip is legato. If you want to be able to swap the clip 7/8ths of the way through then fine, you can totally do that - it just doesn;t matter that it is a drum rack.

a drum rack is an instrument. All you are doing is swapping the input, it cares not.

if you are asking whether the ride cymbal sample can be legato-ed to a kick drum then that is something else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:54 pm 

I've never heard of choke groups being referred to as "legato mode", is this common in some parts?

What exactly is legato mode then, if not?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:06 am 

no, not common - but I was trying to make sense of his question.

I mean - why else would he ask if Clip Legato mode worked with drum rack .. because of course that works, it is CLIP legato mode and nothing to do with the instrument - it is about midi information.

so I made a wild stab in the dark.

Clip Legato mode in Live enables you to switch between clips and the play head stays in the same relative position. IE - it doesn;t change clips at the start of the bar and begin to play from the start of the bar, it changes as soon as you press it and the play head will be wherever it was in the clip you just left.

Drum Racks or not makes no bearing on this - it works just the same on 3rd party VSTi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:21 am 

Gotcha Angstrom, thanks makes perfect sense.

I'd like it if I could get the legato mode behavior in Arrangement view, but regular "next bar" behavior for clip launching in Session. Never found a way to have that...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:04 am 

jamester wrote:

I'd like it if I could get the legato mode behavior in Arrangement view, but regular "next bar" behavior for clip launching in Session. Never found a way to have that...

But you can have this in Arrangement view too. It is part of arranging a piece of music in this view, if you want it to be. You simply arrange your clips (drag and drop, split clips, consolidate clips, etc. so that they play back the way you want them to play back. Or am I not understanding your statement ? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:54 am 

Lazos wrote:
jamester wrote:

But you can have this in Arrangement view too. It is part of arranging a piece of music in this view, if you want it to be. You simply arrange your clips (drag and drop, split clips, consolidate clips, etc. so that they play back the way you want them to play back. Or am I not understanding your statement ? :?

I think you are not understanding what Angstrom wrote above:
Angstrom:
Quote:
Clip Legato mode in Live enables you to switch between clips and the play head stays in the same relative position. IE - it doesn;t change clips at the start of the bar and begin to play from the start of the bar, it changes as soon as you press it and the play head will be wherever it was in the clip you just left.

It has to do with how Live's transport reacts when you click to change clips in Session view; my point was referring to when you click in Arrange view, the new position doesn't start immediately i.e., "legato mode".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:04 am 

Gotcha.