"Exclusive Arm" usage?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
substance_g

"Exclusive Arm" usage?

Post by substance_g » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:20 am

Hi,

I've been messing around with MIDI controls to the Arm buttons and the exclusive arm option in preferences, but am getting all confused.

- With "exclusive arm" switched on, MIDI control switching of arm on/off ignores the exclusive setting. Is this correct behaviour/is it a bug?

- I'd like to keep exclusive arm switched on to avoid accidentally recording in the wrong track, but at the same time I have a dedicated track which is recording everything on my ultralite output. So basically I want an "exclusive arm except for this one!" option :roll: - there's undoubtedly a smarter way to do this - any ideas?

Cheers for any help.
MBP-Live7-Oxygen8-Ultralite-UC33e-WaldorfPulse

substance_g

Post by substance_g » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:52 pm

any ideas?

ethios4

Re: "Exclusive Arm" usage?

Post by ethios4 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:57 pm

substance_g wrote:- With "exclusive arm" switched on, MIDI control switching of arm on/off ignores the exclusive setting. Is this correct behaviour/is it a bug?
I know what you mean...this one gets me too...

djMadder

Post by djMadder » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:10 pm

If I understand what you mean you could as a work around,and you probably already thought of it is just program "armed" groups to single buttons (this is what I do)

Just give the arm for multiple tracks (the ones you need) the same button and this way be able to choose which are armed by the midi msg

substance_g

Post by substance_g » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:54 pm

Thanks for the input, but I don't want to arm multiple tracks at the same time.

Just wondering if the current "exclusive override when using MIDI control" is deliberate or a bug? And whether I can effectively mask the exclusive arm track range...

Gabe

Post by Gabe » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:56 am

This bug just bit me. I want to be able to select and arm a track with the same button. There's no way this isn't a bug. Arm exclusive works when assigned to computer kbd buttons. Then I try to do it via midi and exclusive no longer behaves. Then computer kbd exclusive is broken afterwards.

:P

please fix!

sublimelobc

Post by sublimelobc » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:42 am

It seems like if you have the exclusive option selected, that if you hold down multiple buttons at the same time they will still arm multiple tracks....not the most convenient method but it works ok if it's just one or two extra tracks you are wanting to arm without having to turn off exclusive.

Edit: Just tried it, doesn't work like I thought. I must have been thinking of other software...I could have sworn I used to use that method. It was with an M-Audio controller, I have switched to Novation and that may be the difference.

8O

Post by 8O » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:48 am

Hey Gabe, kudos for finding my ancient post!

sublimelobc - the main problem is the fact that midi-control ignores the exclusive arm setting. Looks like it's still a bug, months later...