Fun Fun Tuesday - Hating is Fun Fun

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rozling

Post by rozling » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:22 pm

b0unce wrote:I see.

My theory on the hostility question: it's most likely down to profanities and nothing more. Kind of odd that a grown man could be so sensitive, regarding your 'power of words' bit ..... ANYONE so sensitive, and knows they are, should take personal responsibility for their own well being. If people's words effect you, probably not a good idea to be an attention whore on a public forum etc.
Didn't see your edit there - it's funny, I started writing a post explaining why it's not cool to be nasty to people, and you're explaining how it's people's pwn fault if they get offended. But you have to admit that you (and mostly you) go a lot further than profanities - e.g. your insult to pixelbox didn't have any profanities but it's offensive as fuck! You know as well as I that most people don't come here for that - maybe it's your 'thing', not much I can do about it obviously, but to suggest that everyone who visits here 'has it coming' ... that's fucked up. Potentially funny, in a fucked up way, but mainly just fucked up and antisocial. But you know that and I am wasting my time!

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:27 pm

rozling wrote:
b0unce wrote:I see.

My theory on the hostility question: it's most likely down to profanities and nothing more. Kind of odd that a grown man could be so sensitive, regarding your 'power of words' bit ..... ANYONE so sensitive, and knows they are, should take personal responsibility for their own well being. If people's words effect you, probably not a good idea to be an attention whore on a public forum etc.
Didn't see your edit there - it's funny, I started writing a post explaining why it's not cool to be nasty to people, and you're explaining how it's people's pwn fault if they get offended. But you have to admit that you (and mostly you) go a lot further than profanities - e.g. your insult to pixelbox didn't have any profanities but it's offensive as fuck! You know as well as I that most people don't come here for that - maybe it's your 'thing', not much I can do about it obviously, but to suggest that everyone who visits here 'has it coming' ... that's fucked up. Potentially funny, in a fucked up way, but mainly just fucked up and antisocial. But you know that and I am wasting my time!
lol, do you have pixelbox on ignore or something ?
you'd swear he just offered me a cup of tea and I pissed on his shoes as a thank you.

He is a pleb, and I try not to engage plebs with anything more complex than clicks & grunts

"but to suggest that everyone who visits here 'has it coming' ... that's fucked up."

No, you're fucked up. that is a gross misrepresentation of what I said.
spreader of butter

Winston

Post by Winston » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:46 pm

I love lamp.

Hypomixolydian

Re: why all the hostility?

Post by Hypomixolydian » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:01 pm

nebulae wrote:
And I most certainly would love to see a Musikmesse report in March!! Especialy Euro booth bunnies!!!
Need more exploitative material to jerk off to? You obviously have no respect for women. Dickhead.

Timur

Post by Timur » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:15 pm

Personally I try to keep to content when discussing in threads. If someone starts calling me or others names then either I try to remind him about staying respectful or ignore the rant and stay on topic.

For some strange reason some people here like to think that if you don't shout some "fuck you"s out at others from time to time or throw in one or the other sexist joke then you're not man enough to discuss with them. Unfortunately they don't understand the irony of the fact that oftentime they seem not mature (aka man) enough to be even bothering the adult and mentally stable forum-members with infantile gibberish.

Some people here should remind themself what this forum is mostly about: a place for professionals and amateurs to discuss technical topics concerning how to make music, including playing technics and gear. Beside that it offers some plattform to spread the word about your own projects and maybe even make some friends who are interested in the same hobby or proffession.

And really, I don't care for how many times you can make love to your neighbors lady per night or what a buff Bronco you are when I'm coming to this forum. I just want to know how to make Ableton Live and myself perform best when doing my own projects and along the way help Ableton and some other forum-members to solve their problems.

My answer to the weaker minds around this place: :idea:

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:23 pm

Timur wrote:For some strange reason some people here like to think that if you don't shout some "fuck you"s out at others from time to time or throw in one or the other sexist joke then you're not man enough to discuss with them. Unfortunately they don't understand the irony of the fact that oftentime they seem not mature (aka man) enough to be even bothering the adult and mentally stable forum-members with infantile gibberish.
Timur, no one has criticised you for the way you talk.
Or refused to talk with you, or take you seriously based on the way you talk. (or don't talk, as the case may be)
You have invented that scenario.

On the contrary, you are the one being elitest due to language.
spreader of butter

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:28 pm

Timur wrote:Personally I try to keep to content when discussing in threads. If someone starts calling me or others names then either I try to remind him about staying respectful or ignore the rant and stay on topic.

For some strange reason some people here like to think that if you don't shout some "fuck you"s out at others from time to time or throw in one or the other sexist joke then you're not man enough to discuss with them. Unfortunately they don't understand the irony of the fact that oftentime they seem not mature (aka man) enough to be even bothering the adult and mentally stable forum-members with infantile gibberish.

Some people here should remind themself what this forum is mostly about: a place for professionals and amateurs to discuss technical topics concerning how to make music, including playing technics and gear. Beside that it offers some plattform to spread the word about your own projects and maybe even make some friends who are interested in the same hobby or proffession.

And really, I don't care for how many times you can make love to your neighbors lady per night or what a buff Bronco you are when I'm coming to this forum. I just want to know how to make Ableton Live and myself perform best when doing my own projects and along the way help Ableton and some other forum-members to solve their problems.

My answer to the weaker minds around this place: :idea:
Wait one goddamn second!!!

today's Wednesday, right? fix the thread title please. scared me for a second, I paid my dues, Tuesday's over.

and yeah, Timur what the hell are you talking about?
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Timur

Post by Timur » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:47 pm

For many forum members, including me, english is not the native language. Many non-native kids (and adults as it seems) try to mimmick street-language style that they've heard from music-videos, games or internet forums. Oftentimes they are rather bad at that, only destilling harsh words and phrases without understanding/feeling the flow and context of authentic street-language and slang. That often seems to lead to misunderstanding. That plus the tendency to ignore smileys which often mark a sentence as joke or irony, but because of the ignored smiley is falsely understood as mean or insulting.

Eventhough I am very aware that my choice of words and style appears to be elitist and sometimes even outright goofy, in fact I'm just keeping to the form of english I was taught at school and university (which in Germany is Oxford english) and thus can be most authentic with. Some of this originates from the necessity to use a dictionary, too. Nevertheless I do have to admit that I also take some fun and pride in providing a contrast to the common trash-talk of internet communication. It's not such a bad idea to offer kids some alternatives in what they're reading everyday, including the lesser common use of interpunctations and sentences consisting of full words and phrases.

Language is a music of its own kind, as a singer I love echoism (the german word for this is grand: "Lautmalerei" meaning something like "painting with sound" or just "soundpainting"). When I'm reading all the shortcuts and supposed 1337 chopped down sentences it often feels like listening to bad and monotonous (if not even uniform) techno all day long. On the other hand I understand that not everyone can take as much time writing a single post as I do, hehe. But Did you notice that many people with high postcount tend to start/join new threads at a very high rate while hardly keeping their attention to one topic for very long. I thought I was the hyperactive kid with problems to maintain concentration on one thing for a long period of time. At least they didn't want me in the army because of that. 8)

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:00 pm

Timur wrote:*a nice but irrelevant story*
heh, you misunderstood me and didn't address my point.
I didn't mean elitest as a compliment.

The scenario you described below does not exist, NO ONE has treated you this way.
When I said you were the one being elitest about language, I meant you are the one telling people how to speak, or snubbing them if it's not to your taste. Basically, you are the individual who most resembles the person you describe in the quote below.
b0unce wrote:
Timur wrote:For some strange reason some people here like to think that if you don't shout some "fuck you"s out at others from time to time or throw in one or the other sexist joke then you're not man enough to discuss with them. Unfortunately they don't understand the irony of the fact that oftentime they seem not mature (aka man) enough to be even bothering the adult and mentally stable forum-members with infantile gibberish.
Timur, no one has criticised you for the way you talk.
Or refused to talk with you, or take you seriously based on the way you talk. (or don't talk, as the case may be)
You have invented that scenario.

On the contrary, you are the one being elitest due to language.
spreader of butter

TITBAG

Post by TITBAG » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:20 pm

Timur wrote:For many forum members, including me, english is not the native language. Many non-native kids (and adults as it seems) try to mimmick street-language style that they've heard from music-videos, games or internet forums. Oftentimes they are rather bad at that, only destilling harsh words and phrases without understanding/feeling the flow and context of authentic street-language and slang. That often seems to lead to misunderstanding. That plus the tendency to ignore smileys which often mark a sentence as joke or irony, but because of the ignored smiley is falsely understood as mean or insulting.

Eventhough I am very aware that my choice of words and style appears to be elitist and sometimes even outright goofy, in fact I'm just keeping to the form of english I was taught at school and university (which in Germany is Oxford english) and thus can be most authentic with. Some of this originates from the necessity to use a dictionary, too. Nevertheless I do have to admit that I also take some fun and pride in providing a contrast to the common trash-talk of internet communication. It's not such a bad idea to offer kids some alternatives in what they're reading everyday, including the lesser common use of interpunctations and sentences consisting of full words and phrases.

Language is a music of its own kind, as a singer I love echoism (the german word for this is grand: "Lautmalerei" meaning something like "painting with sound" or just "soundpainting"). When I'm reading all the shortcuts and supposed 1337 chopped down sentences it often feels like listening to bad and monotonous (if not even uniform) techno all day long. On the other hand I understand that not everyone can take as much time writing a single post as I do, hehe. But Did you notice that many people with high postcount tend to start/join new threads at a very high rate while hardly keeping their attention to one topic for very long. I thought I was the hyperactive kid with problems to maintain concentration on one thing for a long period of time. At least they didn't want me in the army because of that. 8)
i'm not reading that pile of bollocks

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:21 pm

Timur - your English is great, have a cookie. <sarcasm> but you're as weird as anyone else here. I don't know what you're complaining about, if anything it's a small issue, it'll work out, hang in there, be strong, you will survive, as long as you know how to love, I know you will stay alive, you've got all your life to live, you've got all your love to give, and you'll survive, you will survive.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

Timur

Post by Timur » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:22 pm

b0unce wrote:
Timur wrote:*a nice but irrelevant story*
heh, you misunderstood me and didn't address my point.
I didn't mean elitest as a compliment.
And I did not understand it as a compliment. Thank you.
The scenario you described below does not exist, NO ONE has treated you this way.
I feel inclinded to disagree, but since my post was less about my own experience than more about my observations when reading other peoples threads I saw no need to defend myself anyway.
When I said you were the one being elitest about language, I meant you are the one telling people how to speak, or snubbing them if it's not to your taste.
Yes, you are right.
Basically, you are the individual who most resembles the person you describe in the quote below.
I don't think so. Especially because there is a fundamental difference, with the exception of the mentioned quote I usualy don't insult other people directly into their face nor do I start shouting and slapping around wildly. Sometimes it's not easy to keep the discussion on topic and inspire serious answers and interest.

Anyway, I came here to learn the tricks and secrets of using Live to limit. Many of my questions I did either get no answer for or found out the answer myself by digging deep into Live to understand its structure, strengths and weaknesses. This cost me alot of time, including writing all those test reports and explanation answers. Now I'm beginning to get bored by the forum and its constant bickerings and will mostly stay around to see bugs resolved and exchange some experiences. Still it's a shame that anarchistic uniformist (LMFAO) takes over the net.

Yesterday I mentioned to a real-world musician (my current drumming-teacher) that I'm active in a forum and only after mentioning the word he tried to exorcise me from that wicked behavior and insisted that I shall not be wasting my time any longer with a bunch of home-bound computer-geeks who hardly ever saw a live-stage anyway (his words not mine). :twisted:
Last edited by Timur on Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:26 pm

Timur wrote:Yesterday I mentioned to a real-world musician (my current drumming-teacher) that I'm active in a forum and only after mentioning the word he tried to exorcise me from that wicked behavior and insisted that I shall not be wasting my time any longer with a bunch of home-bound computer-geeks who hardly ever saw a live-stage anyway (his words not mine). :twisted:
seriously, get over yourself. :roll: you're from from having Live or audio figured out. besides, some of us learn instruments without having a teacher show us which hand to use when wiping our asses.

btw my tip to you is that your posts are ALWAYS waaaaaay too long. but you've generally got a good attitude.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

Timur

Post by Timur » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:31 pm

Hm, given the fact that my original post was mostly not about me anyway it's strange how the discussion has turned into my direction, isn't it?
seriously, fuck yourself. you're from from having Live or audio figured out. :roll:
I assume you mean "far from". That may well be correct, but if so than apparently I did not learn much from hanging around certain people.
besides, some of us learn instruments without having a teacher show us which hand to use when wiping our asses.
Well, that's such a hard stunt to perform while drumming that I must insist you better ask a teacher, else your health might seriously be endangered. :lol:

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:33 pm

^funny. I did edit my post to tame it down a bit. so, you're a drummer, explains a LOT. :D
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz