Peter Hooks Fake DJing

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
M. Bréqs

Post by M. Bréqs » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:09 pm

suburbanbather wrote:Personally, I think he's taking the piss out of everybody- the promoters, the crouds, the people that complain on message boards. Nobody in their right mind would do what he is doing unless its supposed to be an absolute joke. Why not keep doing it if you keep getting paid to do it. If promoters and people are dumb enough to take him seriously, then rock on Pete!

I was dragged down to see this pathetic has-been burnt-out clown in Ottawa last year. What a fucking embarassment.

He didn't mix at all. His CDJs would count down, and they were burned so that the track ended immediately on a down-beat, and then he would smack play on the next one. That's it. I was behind the decks the whole time, and pointing at him, talking to my girlfriend and explaining to her why he was such a sorry pathetic shit (past accomplishments notwithstanding).

He sees me pointing, and then sticks his retarded finger in the air and slowly lowers it at me, like I'm in some kind of connection with him, one of those "FUCK YEAH BUDDY!" points. It took all I had not to burst out laughing.

I'll be honest, I don't think that mix DJing takes any significant talent (I did it for years and believe me, compared to making your own music it's fucking NOTHING). Old timer-forum haunts might recall some of my DJs have no talent rants on this board. But, I gotta say, Peter Hook takes the fucking cake for no-talent losers blown out of proportion. The saddest commentary was that everybody, even the promoter and other DJs were so "awed" by his reputation and history, that they couldn't admit the emperor had no clothes.

So, Suburbanbather, I guess that's the final joke of it all. A no talent puke making a mockery of every superficial sycophantic little like-minded goblin in a whole fucking club. Who's the loser now?

M. Bréqs

Post by M. Bréqs » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:15 pm

Pitch Black wrote:
Oscar F wrote: No more a slap in the face to all those talented musicians out there who have to keep hearing how Dj's "perform" and are musicians also.
"A DJ who thinks he's a musician is like a milkman who thinks he's a cow."

. . . hey, I didn't say it!
I like that. I'm gonna use it myself. A DJ is no more a musician than an art critic is an artist. However, in this case, Mr. Hook isn't EVEN an art critic, he cut out an article from a second year university textbook on art and republishes it as his own.

Yes, some DJs are musicians, but that is by no means a requisite for being a mix DJ. And to be clear, I don't hold turntablists in the same vein as mix DJs; the difference is profound.

BMX

Post by BMX » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:40 pm

I heard some guy was offered to book this trainwreck of a man for a mere 3000 dollars. No wonder Hook is so happy in all the videos.

edit: Oh yeah, and it was for 2 hours

earthloop

Post by earthloop » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:17 pm

I think all this is a bit rich considering how many 'DJs' have sampled and remixed the 'original' bass lines Peter Hook created.

OK, he looks like a dork in that vid, but I would like to see who here has even been a part of creating anything as memorable as these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZwMs2fL ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0dfd_L4 ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0We9d5J3 ... re=related

Give Hooksy a break! This is his superannuation - he has earned it!!! (which is more than I could say for many more recent 'entertainers')!

:P

olio89

Post by olio89 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:40 pm

how can you excuse a guy cheating paying club goers because hes spent all his new order money on drugs? and hes still snorting

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:52 pm

What's the difference between what Mr. hook does and someone who "dj's" with ableton

the whole point of djing is not only making people dance (with track selection programming etc)

but also BEAT MATCHING, turntable tricks, effects etc etc in that realm

ableton you just have to sepnd an eveing warping your tracks then show up

press play and off you go - jumping around, twisting knobs and smiling A LOT!

curious
Ableton | Elektron

Music

earthloop

Post by earthloop » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:58 pm

olio89 wrote:how can you excuse a guy cheating paying club goers because hes spent all his new order money on drugs? and hes still snorting
It's interesting how people just decide that because 'someone' said that so-and-so was 'on drugs' it is suddenly taken as a given!!!

Can anyone here actually show that Peter Hook was on Coke??? and not maybe just pissed? Many people just make things up to fill in the gaps in their knowledge, in a pathetic attempt to understand what is beyond their comprehension!

It is a source of constant amazement to me that people can actually do this! The Monty Python crew obviously recognized this characteristic!

xrayfish

Post by xrayfish » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:08 pm

Watching those clips again it strikes me as being quite funny. In a parallel thread on the same subject somebody makes comparison between artists and plumbers.

Well it might just be me but Hooky looks like a plumber trying to fix a leaky tap or unblock a stubborn toilet when he does his 'thang' twiddling that famous knob LOL

A rare example of art / plumbing fusion

:) :) :) :) :)

the ar

Post by the ar » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:14 pm

Angstrom wrote:favourite Youtube comment
I actually have this mix CD he's miming to.... it's a free CD that was given away with Mixmag December 2003. It's a good CD, but that is the biggest piss-take I have every seen.
ahahahah
Classic.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:20 pm

Ok, after watching the video - he's annoying!
Ableton | Elektron

Music

earthloop

Post by earthloop » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:28 pm

the ar wrote:
Angstrom wrote:favourite Youtube comment
I actually have this mix CD he's miming to.... it's a free CD that was given away with Mixmag December 2003. It's a good CD, but that is the biggest piss-take I have every seen.
ahahahah
Classic.
Ahhh yes (I must have missed this post?). Hehe, I love it! :P

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:32 pm

could you se bono or the edge doing this?hahaha

ThrowAway

Post by ThrowAway » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:45 pm

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. that was hilarious. you should be smart enough by the age 18 to know that in "show business" nothing is guaranteed to be real.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:47 pm

M. Bréqs wrote:He sees me pointing, and then sticks his retarded finger in the air and slowly lowers it at me, like I'm in some kind of connection with him, one of those "FUCK YEAH BUDDY!" points. It took all I had not to burst out laughing.
heheheh, fucking priceless!

RibbedSauce

Post by RibbedSauce » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:06 pm

gotta love some of the comments to his myspace blog about this

jay sheridan wrote:having watched you mate at Dirty South in London and being a d.j myself, Ido exactly the same as editing to the beat. It was a great set when I saw you, good to see there are anal twats in every music genre tho ain't it?! All the best mate and fuck 'em
missy jem wrote:What a load of bollox! I've seen you DJ at Dirty South, NOOL day, the 2005 aftershows and at loads of other venues. There was even a thread on NOOL recently about it which sparked a bit of a row. The fact is, Hooky or not, if you were as bad as this guy is making out, we wouldn't pay good money to come and see you. Besides, if you were faking, you wouldn't have made that one mixing mistake at the Hacienda night ;-)

Bilby wrote:Yeah, I thought the whole idea of DJing was to play pre-recorded stuff. If it isn't pre-recorded then it's called "being in a band." Who gives a rat's arse how you mix it, or when it was mixed or if the beats match? Have fun, get drunk, fall over, get back up again....

and my favourite one AGAINST mr hook

DJ Funktion wrote:Peter,

It's a real shame that a good Bass player like you has to stoop to these lows for exposure. I appreciate your work with New Order, but I do NOT appreciate your "pretend" mixing. By doing that you are being disrespectful to the promoters that have paid good money for talent, and that are receiving none in return.

Most of all, you are spitting in the faces of those who have worked very hard to make a name for themselves as DJs. I have spent years working on my mixing and honing my skills to be able to play in front of 20 people, while you get to play in front of 2000 people based solely on your name. I don't have a manager or a marketing team; I have to do everything myself to get exposure. There are countless others like me that have a bad taste in their mouths because of your actions.

You know how hard it was to "get in" the industry. Us DJs have the same hardships.

It's a shame, because I'm sure you could pick up mixing very quickly if you wanted to. You have been playing for bands for over two decades, so you know most of the musical knowledge that you would ever need. You just need to learn how to work the CD players and the mixer. Heck, if you didn't know what to do and asked for help I know we would give it to you.

Mike

THEN...Peter Hook Replied

Peter Hook wrote:I think youve missed the point mate, but i do understand how rotten it is to play to no-one, i remember it well tower club oldham, joy division 1979, audience none ,we laughed !p.s. i dont have a manager or a marketing team either,have you ever thought you just might be crap?
pot calling the kettle black?
Hear The Music, Feel The Music, Be The Music