Session Drums and Firewire Drives Workaround

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
forge

Post by forge » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:00 pm

longjohns wrote: currently I think you will have to use forge's workaround to run EIC2 off an external drive. (change library, load a preset, change back library, save set.)
it's actually surprisingly quick as all the Library effectively does is give you access to its contents in the device browser

you dont need any of it while you're browsing for the kit you want and then when you 've chosen it you can change the library back

maybe it's worth thinking about the things you want most often from your library - i.e. most likely presets for Live's own devices

if you copy the presets to the new library as well so you can for example still change to your favourite reverb preset to try it on a kit while you are browsing, you dont really need to go back to your old library until you are ready to use it's contents - then you just hit ctrl + comma and quickly change the library in the prefs

actually not such a big deal after all

but it will be nice to not have to

forge

Post by forge » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:03 pm

hey neopotist - how bout changing the thread title so as not to cause alarm! :wink:

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:08 pm

OK,

I sucessfully repaired presets from both EIC2 and Session Drums, and are now capable of running off an external without switching libraries back and forth..

bad news: it takes a while to fix one with a lot of samples.

Luckily some of the new Ableton presets use single audio files with zones set up in the simpler/sampler... so only one file to replace on those

due to the quirkiness of the file management, for the session drums preset I had to:

-search - finds all the samples and lists each one as '1 candidate'

-click on the "?" icon of the first one, hit return key four times - replaces that sample and (not helpfully) lets you know that there are x-1 number of candidates, which we already knew..

-repeat for each missing sample

-collect and save (does NOT copy anything to the main library)

then you will be able to load the preset from the bookmarks in the user browsers

DEAR ABLETON, PLEASE AUTO-REPLACE SAMPLES WITH ONE CANDIDATE ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!!

;)

forge

Post by forge » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:28 pm

longjohns wrote: DEAR ABLETON, PLEASE AUTO-REPLACE SAMPLES WITH ONE CANDIDATE ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!!

;)
well I posted a report in bugs/probs for that one - it has to be wrong

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:38 pm

It is wrong. So wrong

:)

nepotist

Post by nepotist » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:47 pm

forge wrote:hey neopotist - how bout changing the thread title so as not to cause alarm! :wink:
done! and thanks for the help...hopefully they correct this soon so there is no workaround required! And hopefully they add a bit more documentation at some point.

Bam Bam

Post by Bam Bam » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:07 am

longjohns wrote:OK,

I sucessfully repaired presets from both EIC2 and Session Drums, and are now capable of running off an external without switching libraries back and forth..

bad news: it takes a while to fix one with a lot of samples.

Luckily some of the new Ableton presets use single audio files with zones set up in the simpler/sampler... so only one file to replace on those

due to the quirkiness of the file management, for the session drums preset I had to:

-search - finds all the samples and lists each one as '1 candidate'

-click on the "?" icon of the first one, hit return key four times - replaces that sample and (not helpfully) lets you know that there are x-1 number of candidates, which we already knew..

-repeat for each missing sample

-collect and save (does NOT copy anything to the main library)

then you will be able to load the preset from the bookmarks in the user browsers

DEAR ABLETON, PLEASE AUTO-REPLACE SAMPLES WITH ONE CANDIDATE ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!!

;)
Thanks for this post - very informative. Just tried this above method and seems like I can load the preset from within my original library only if I call up the file that has been collected and saved - not if I'm working within another project. Should this be the case or am I missing something?

Thanks

jdune

Re: Session Drums and Firewire Drives Workaround

Post by jdune » Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:37 am

Does anyone know whether this problem has been fixed in Ver 8 / 8.1? I just bought Suite 8, and was about to install the EIC2 to my internal HD and the drums to an external drive, since there isn't room for all on my internal drive, but maybe that is a really bad idea....

Longjohns? Forge? Ableton?

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:02 am

From my experience only one Library path can be active.
I own Session Drums and I have done the following for my Laptop:

1) Copied my Library to an external drive
2) Set the External Drive as Library defauly
3) Install Session Drums to that Library
4) Test
5) Remove SD packages you do not need
6) If the Library now fits on the internal drive move it there
7) Alternatively you can install the light versions of SD on the Internal HD, that takes less space with a little compromise on quality

You can't mix up libraries unless you use some tricks
using links. Links are the trick that Sampler uses
to avoid moving Garage Band / ESX samples to the Library.
It could be possible to apply this behavior to SD as well.

- Best
- Pasha
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

trommelmeister

Post by trommelmeister » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:30 am

Pasha wrote:You can't mix up libraries unless you use some tricks
using links. Links are the trick that Sampler uses
to avoid moving Garage Band / ESX samples to the Library.
It could be possible to apply this behavior to SD as well.
Actually, "Use links!" is what I wanted to say all the time I was reading this thread. I would use links as a workaround for Live's constraint of having only one library at a time.

On Windows you can create such links with a tool called "junction" from Sysinternals. So you would create a link in the main library folder which directs to the real folder on your external HD. Only requirement is that the file system on the external HD is NTFS.

On MacOS you can use the already available "ln" command from the command shell to create such links (actually, I guess this can maybe also be done from the Finder or so, but I don't know this for sure as I am on Windows.)

What you only need to know is to which folder the Session Drums installation would go. You would need to create this symbolic link before you would install Session Drums. Alternatively, you could install Session Drums first to your main library, after that move it to the external HD by using the Windows Explorer or Finder, and finally set the symbolic link accordingly.

HTH, Martin

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:21 am

jdune wrote:Does anyone know whether this problem has been fixed in Ver 8 / 8.1? I just bought Suite 8, and was about to install the EIC2 to my internal HD and the drums to an external drive, since there isn't room for all on my internal drive, but maybe that is a really bad idea....

Longjohns? Forge? Ableton?
apologies, i'm out of touch with the current state of affairs. judging by how often live 8 tells me that it's "scanning packages" during various operations.... i suspect it's getting worse and worse since live 6

??