Yamaha RM1X users - any potential with Live?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
metafactor

Yamaha RM1X users - any potential with Live?

Post by metafactor » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:49 pm

If you are using an RM1X with Live, in what capacity are you doing so? I have one and it is just sitting here doing nothing. I haven't taken the time to really dive in to explore the possibilities.

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:29 pm

I used to have one. But I sold it before I realized how powerful the actual sequencer is - if you like hands-on control. Soundwise, I found it quite lame.

Hook it up to sync as master, then run Live from it. Should be cool.

-M

tjwett

Post by tjwett » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:30 pm

i had one once upon a time. very cool onboard sequencer and a nice amount of knobs and buttons. the internal sounds are pretty dated but you can probably shit out some cool MIDI with it. i remember it having a nice arpeggiator. and would prob make a good trigger device.

phon77

hi

Post by phon77 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:44 pm

you should squeeze the sound of your RM-1X. Its a pretty cool sequencer, and more if you allready have it. I program sequences with it and then sample them with live. Pretty nice fat warm sounds.

the only thing that limits me is my ignorance.. hehe, we have to take control of the drum machine!
Fon)))))

dcease

Post by dcease » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:53 pm

i use it to trigger clips, and for a little sequencing, and i assigned a knob for tempo control... but i can only seem to get the bottom 4( 8 ) knobs to transmit... the sounds are hmmm, but it is always nice to have a couple of extra clip launchers... not to hard to setup, actually easier than navigating the damn thing!

i didn't put no smiley face in there...oh wait
Last edited by dcease on Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

metafactor

Post by metafactor » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:06 am

Thanks for the posts. I need to dump some laziness and check it out. I picked the thing up in perfect condition for $150 about 2 years ago, composed one track on it, and it’s been sitting idle ever since I became glued to Live, with the exception of a few sampling times. I was thinking about sampling the sounds I like then selling it for a better controller, but thought I would check out the midi capabilities first. Wonder if anyone has circuit bent one of these?... :)

Komplex

Post by Komplex » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:49 am

dcease wrote:i use it to trigger clips, and for a little sequencing, and i assigned a knob for tempo control... but i can only seem to get the bottom 4( 8 ) knobs to transmit... the sounds are hmmm, but it is always nice to have a couple of extra clip launchers... not to hard to setup, actually easier than navigating the damn thing!

i didn't put no smiley face in there...oh wait
jump into setup and assign all the knobs to CC numbers then u can use all of them.

wavejumper

Post by wavejumper » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:08 pm

metafactor wrote:Thanks for the posts. I need to dump some laziness and check it out. I picked the thing up in perfect condition for $150 about 2 years ago, composed one track on it, and it’s been sitting idle ever since I became glued to Live, with the exception of a few sampling times. I was thinking about sampling the sounds I like then selling it for a better controller, but thought I would check out the midi capabilities first. Wonder if anyone has circuit bent one of these?... :)
the sounds are rompler so I wouldn't bother sampling it as they are very run of the mill...the sequencer is where it's at. I have mine hooked up as master to Live 5, I create and trigger midi files from it using both its own sounds or live's own midi tracks. Oh and this thing overdubs CCs in its own clips using its built in knobs and buttons, it also overdubs mutes and midi effects. Live doesn't do that yet.

it's great for triggering loops in its pattern mode but the song mode doesn't hold a candle to Live's. Depends how you work. I't fierce fun to jam live.