anyone using the novation nio 2/4

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
adventurepants_

Post by adventurepants_ » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:40 am

does the Nio have separate outputs for the headphones? or do you need to take up one stereo output pair in Live to assign to cue (phones)?

so for a dj setup, would you have to run outputs 1/2 to deck one IN, and 3/4 to deck two IN, and then run headphones from the DJ Mixer? or could you assign a separate output in Live to the cue mix and plug the headphones in the front?

ive read the manual and its still not clear.

adventurepants_

Post by adventurepants_ » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:53 am

bump!

dphouse84

Post by dphouse84 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:42 pm

it has two headphone jacks. you may want to check out the youtube videos. they can be reached directly from Nocations site as well, but streams slower. when djing with live i assign 1/2 to out in ableton and use 3/4 for my cue/monitoring.
Stuff I actually use.
sound card, speakers, mic, MBP, Mighty Mouse, Ableton, Reason, iPad, iPhone,Touchable, Rebirth, & other apps.
Pair of Technics 1200's, and a Pioneer Mixer

Destro

Post by Destro » Thu May 01, 2008 6:40 am

I just got mine about a week ago. Had some issues with the Nio at first (distortion on the inputs, crackling when playing two tracks at once on Live) but they were all resolved after I updated the driver.

Pros:
- FX Rack is really cool if you play the guitar or bass.
- 2 inputs; great for cueing songs when DJing.
- Built like a tank.

Cons:
- Did not work "out-of-the-box" with my Vista 32-bit (as mentioned above).

The technical support is great; got a reply from them in just under a day. Overall, I'm very satisfied with it.

abletoon

Post by abletoon » Thu May 01, 2008 10:33 am

i bought one a few months ago,its great value for money.
i bought it for DJing more than anything else, the lowest latentcy i could get out of it for playback was 7ms, whilst live monitoring i could get 15ms (which is slighty to high for realtime effects in my opinion)

the build is rock solid and the installation is a breeze. i didnt bother installing the guitar fx as i already have guitar rig, so i cant comment on them.

one bit of criticism however would be that the output is quite low, i had the knob turned up full and i could only get one green meter bar lighting up.

apart from that, if your looking for a cheap soundcard for DJing that is bus powered and build like a tank, its a no brainer.

plus two headphone outputs really come in handy!

treo730

Post by treo730 » Fri May 02, 2008 2:41 am

Just out of curiosity, what machine are you using. Like to know cuz of the latency your experiencing.

Thanks