What Is Tinnitus?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
furrybum

Post by furrybum » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:38 pm

I'm sure I heard something somewhere about them using Botox to help get rid of tinitus.

I get it a bit but tend do avoid being in total silence. Used to live out in the country and it could all get a bit much. Now there's always some sort of background noise to block it out.
Macbook (An old white one...WITH FIREWIRE!!!!!)
Tascam Fireone
Spongefork
Logic Studio
Tassman 4
Live 7

http://www.myspace.com/darklightuk

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:06 pm

I've got hearing damage from a previous career. It is usually irreversible.

I'm amazed that musicians/DJs, who rely on their hearing for their livelihood, lack the common sense to take precautions against excessive volumes.

Off to the forest on my bike with iPod at full volume... :oops:

Mesmer

Post by Mesmer » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:24 pm

helo ham,
say,
do you remember some plugin suite somebody here "highly recommended" ... they were free (like a year ago maybe more)....
was it you that posted that...

they were mainly black background guis....
I describe my memory better here:
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 6&start=15

do you even remember who it was, so we can ask him/her?
do you remember their name?
thanks?

** puts machine guns on the floor, walks out of airplane stairs **
http://www.mesmero.net
---
---
Hidden Driveways wrote:This doesn't answer your question at all, but I said it anyway simply for the joy of making a post.

Amberience

Post by Amberience » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:49 pm

I'm 23 and I get it. but I hope I'll be dead by the time I'm 50 and uber UNcool anyway, so fuck it.

sgx

Post by sgx » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:54 pm

hoffman2k wrote: Anyway. It passed and my ears seemed ok.
I just got of a flight and experienced the mother of all pressure on my ears. I was close to screaming.
3 hours since my flight and I'm still waiting for my right ear to pop.
I'm probably going to schedule an ear exam tomorrow. I hope my ear will have popped by then.
You can try to do this yourself: Hold your nose, close your mouth, and blow. Don't do it terribly hard if it isn't working because you could bust your eardrum if your ear suddenly does pop. If you need to target one ear, try plugging the opposite one with a finger while you do it.

I have constant ear congestion issues myself and have to do this regularly. It was worse when I was young - I had major hearing issues and had surgery to put tubes in my ears a couple times until the doctor was finally like, "oh hey try this - hold your nose and mouth and blow." Thanks....you couldn't have told me that BEFORE SURGERY??

thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:15 pm

Mix on a pair of earbuds (as someone on this forum suggested) and you will find out what Tinnitus is.

Clearscreen

Re: What Is Tinnitus?

Post by Clearscreen » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:25 am

Astral Fridge Magnet wrote:I have noticed that when I am in almost total silence I hear a kind of constant white noise in my ears, a low level type of hissing. My wife says she hears it in her ears too when there is total silence. Is this tinnitus? Does anyone else experience this? From what I have read so far, tinnitus seems to be a kind of high pitch ringing, which isn't quite what I hear. Can anyone shed some light?
kind of depends how loud the ringing is as tinnitus is a LOT louder than the sort of background 'psychohum' (which it sounds like you've described there...). i haven't had continuous tinnitus at all, but every now and then i get it badly for maybe 30 secs and it's like theres no other sound at all... every time i kind of freeze and hope it goes away, and so far it has.....

have a look at this trailer - it's for an aussie movie where the main character has tinnitus and at about 0:35 in theres a bit thats pretty close to what it's like (sound wise anyway...)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4u8KxEf4A3M
Hp Elitebook 2.8Ghz. Live 7.0.14 & Live 8.1.5, XP Pro. and stuff...

JAMM

Post by JAMM » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:07 pm

I also got tinnitus from playing live and producing with a headphones on loud volumes. I have it in both ears and i really had to learn to live with it the first half year. Some days it,s worse then other days expecialy when i am tired, have stress or do intensive sports but overall it,s stable and now i can live with it in peace but i hope it doesn,t get worse. I still DJ and play live in a band but with earplugs.

Soooo...watch out you guys with loud music and use earprotection!!!

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:53 am

when I was in high school a buddy of mine shot a bottle rocket @ me and it blew up against the side of my head

I was pissed

when I woke up the next morning and still could not hear out of that ear, I was worried!!

luckily it came back eventually, though surely not 100% of what it was before that.