External Instrument with Virus TI

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
kenporter

Post by kenporter » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:51 pm

From the manual:

If you’re routing to a multitimbral plugin on another track in your Live Set, the Audio From chooser will list the auxiliary outputs in the plugin. Note that the main outputs will be heard on the track that contains the instrument.

This means that the Virus TI channels 1 and 2 are locked to the track that your Virus Control plugin resides on. So, if you're using the USB I/O then you will always only be able to see channels 3/4 in the external instrument plugin.

If the Virus TI is not your main audio interface then simply select the inputs of your audio interface that are connected to the analog outputs of the TI in the "Audio From" of the external instrument plugin.

That's the only way you will be able to use the external instrument plugin in Ableton with your TI.

With V2.7 coming up you will be able to choose one more USB output if you don't need the TI inputs. I would think that this means you can select 3/4 and 5/6 in the external instruments plugin.

Hope this helps.

Ken

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:30 am

kenporter wrote:From the manual:

If you’re routing to a multitimbral plugin on another track in your Live Set, the Audio From chooser will list the auxiliary outputs in the plugin. Note that the main outputs will be heard on the track that contains the instrument.

This means that the Virus TI channels 1 and 2 are locked to the track that your Virus Control plugin resides on. So, if you're using the USB I/O then you will always only be able to see channels 3/4 in the external instrument plugin.

If the Virus TI is not your main audio interface then simply select the inputs of your audio interface that are connected to the analog outputs of the TI in the "Audio From" of the external instrument plugin.

That's the only way you will be able to use the external instrument plugin in Ableton with your TI.

With V2.7 coming up you will be able to choose one more USB output if you don't need the TI inputs. I would think that this means you can select 3/4 and 5/6 in the external instruments plugin.

Hope this helps.

Ken
yep, once again that seems to be the obvious way to go. But, once again, the "Audio From" part of External Instrument is greyed out, hence it won't let me select any other output than the TI's USB 3/4. That's the whole issue for me. Not really a question of "what to do" but more of a "why the FUCK can't i change the 'Audio From'?!?!?!"

anyways thanks

kenporter

Post by kenporter » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:19 pm

Aqua,

Like I said in my original post, you're using the USB which the TI only has 4 USB outputs currently. Channel 1 and 2 are being used for the track that your TI resides on, therefore only channels 3 and 4 are available. That's why it's greyed out. You currently have no choice but to use channels 3 and 4 with the external instruments plugin with the TI.

Ken

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:44 pm

kenporter wrote:Aqua,

Like I said in my original post, you're using the USB which the TI only has 4 USB outputs currently. Channel 1 and 2 are being used for the track that your TI resides on, therefore only channels 3 and 4 are available. That's why it's greyed out. You currently have no choice but to use channels 3 and 4 with the external instruments plugin with the TI.

Ken
so its definitely a TI OS limitation then.

Shame. i was hoping it would be flexible enough to let me use Ext. Inst. with all USB and Analog outs simultaneously. Eventually it'll be possible i'm hoping. in the meantime, back to the AUDIO/MIDI pair clutter routine :lol:

Thanks Ken :wink:

Daim

Post by Daim » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:56 pm

hm interesting thread.. i was thinking about buying a ti but when i read this..

they should have chosen firewire instead of usb.. there's propably bandwith missing for more seperate outputs.

i don't see why i should spend 1200€ more for this than for a virus a..

kenporter

Post by kenporter » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:48 pm

Hey Aqua,
The TI OS V2.7 will give you a total of 6 outputs via USB instead of the 4 right now. You will be able to select either 2 inputs/4 outputs or 6 outputs.

Hey Daim,
If you really have to ask why you should spend 1200 Euros more for a TI than for a Virus A, then go with a Virus A! ;) The difference between these 2 synths is huge!!! I've had every Virus so far and the TI is by far the best one. I don't really think that the amount of outputs is such a limiting factor. I just bounce the track or record it and work in audio. Also, who knows maybe a future update will allow you to use the USB and analog outputs together. I am sure this idea has crossed Access' minds. :)

The Virus A is a good synth considering it's about 12 years old. The TI is an amazing synth, there's almost nothing you can't do with it. And I am really excited about the upcoming OS update too, since it has a lot of nice feature enhancements.

http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM08 ... tform.html

http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM08 ... tware.html

Ken

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:31 am

Dont let this little "issue" dishearten you from choosing a TI over a Virus A. They are simply in different leagues. The TI is awesome. I'm extremely happy with mine. And there's a workaround anyways.

You can still use all parts and route them at will through the old method of having an AUDIO/MIDI pair of tracks for each part. It's what i've been doing so far and it's worked.

with further updates i'm hoping i'll eventually be able to just use Ext. Inst. for all parts and get rid of the clutter.

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:33 am

Thanks for info on upcoming update.
A friend of mine has just given me a virus ti keyboard that he was not using and had it in storage gathering dust.
How cool is that. I'll have to pay him for it one day if I decide to keep it. At this stage it looks very likely that I will.
Just getting to know my way around it and how to use it with Live, as this is my first hardware synth, so good post for me.
I'm only using the usb I/O atm.

donnydonny

Post by donnydonny » Thu May 01, 2008 12:01 am

Just wanted to confirm that in Live 7.0.3, the Virus|Control plug-in is working as it should with External Instrument. All additional External Instruments can be freely assigned to the newly available, 3 stereo outputs.
Macbook Pro 2.16GHz, 3GB, OS X 10.6.2, Live 7.0.18 (Triceratopz), Torq 1.5.2, M-Audio Xponent, Access Virus TI Polar, Trigger Finger

baseinstinct

Post by baseinstinct » Thu May 01, 2008 4:25 am

Tarekith wrote: it's been awhile since I sold mine.
May I ask why you sold it?

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Thu May 01, 2008 7:04 am

donnydonny wrote:Just wanted to confirm that in Live 7.0.3, the Virus|Control plug-in is working as it should with External Instrument. All additional External Instruments can be freely assigned to the newly available, 3 stereo outputs.
You ARE confirming, or you are wanting confirmation?

donnydonny

Post by donnydonny » Thu May 01, 2008 3:39 pm

Sorry, I am confirming.
Macbook Pro 2.16GHz, 3GB, OS X 10.6.2, Live 7.0.18 (Triceratopz), Torq 1.5.2, M-Audio Xponent, Access Virus TI Polar, Trigger Finger

kenporter

Post by kenporter » Thu May 01, 2008 9:35 pm

Actually, you're wrong, it works exactly as I described in my 2 posts above. It has nothing to do with Live 7.0.3 either just with the fact that the TI adds an extra USB output with V2.7. You still cannot choose USB outputs 1 and 2 with an external instrument plug-in, only 3,4, 5, and 6 which are the 2 of the 3 stereo channels.

Ken

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Thu May 01, 2008 11:06 pm

Yeah, that's what I've been finding as well. I've never been able to select 1/2 on the virus, no matter what version of Live.

kenporter

Post by kenporter » Fri May 02, 2008 12:41 am

That's because channel 1&2 are used for the main track where the TI resides, which means you can still use all outputs. One stereo output for the main track and then the other two stereo outputs with external instruments.

From the manual:

The thing that bothers me is that you can't freeze multi-timbral outputs. Ableton should fix this ASAP!

Ken

PS: Btw, cool music Timothy!