how to play live live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
deepfunktribal

how to play live live

Post by deepfunktribal » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:57 am

how can i play the projects i created in live live without having to make the audience wait for opening (loading) the next project in live ?
how do u perform live your projects created in your past years ?
even it is not possible to make one project being a continuous project where all new ideas are following as new clips and scenes because of a lack of system resources so i do not have an idea how to get this managed.

any suggestions ?

pj_player

Post by pj_player » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:54 am

remember that ableton live files are called "sets". although it's virtually impossible when using multiple midi mappings, arrangements, vsts and the like, you're meant to be able to play your whole set without reloading anything. in reality though, you just have to get a shit hot laptop and hope no one notices the short gap. it's a bit shit for my band as we route everything through live, meaning our mics cut out when a new song loads, rather spoiling the singer's funny stories.

they're not that funny though.

lanquarem

Post by lanquarem » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:59 am

You can also start another session of Live... The midi controls will work for session one session only, but the second session can contain samples or short pieces (I use a lot of random things for that) that you can launch and manipulate with your mouse while the next set is loading...

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:11 am

put as much as you can into a Live set, then play an mp3 player between sets.

if you can, catch Pitch Black on tour, they pull it off for real.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1siG6_Pd-Mg
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

beatpoet

Post by beatpoet » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:21 am

The presets on your MIDI controller and effect racks solve all these problems.

One set, different mappings for each track, you'll need to create custom presets. No shared cc's or notes for elements that change track by track. Shared cc's for stuff like sends ect, global controls

Different VST are easily solved with effect racks.

julienb

Post by julienb » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:33 am

I use racks of instruments.
I compose songs, independently and when i want to build my live, I stuck all clips in one set.
I have to extract instruments from all independant songs in order to put them in the Live set (the performance one)
and in all clip, there is a little work with chain selector ..

My aim is to reduce the "artificial" / "parasite" work: I mean, I just want to compose, compose, compose, and rapidely put all songs in performance set when I want to play them live.
with this method, artificial work is:
- extract all instruments from each song
- configure chain selector in all clip of the performance
- manage memory (wavize very consuming clip/instruments, sometimes off/on in clips too)

macro
macros are always assigned to different parameters.. it can be a problem, because when I alter one parameter from the instrument of song N, I alter another one in the instrument of the same track of the song N+1, N+2 etc etc
.. artificially, I reduce possibilities by putting everytime macro1, 2 on filters things, and the 3rd on an fx (switch on/off + parameters with the same macro.. et voilà !)

but I like this method :-)
I hope it will help someone
Julien Bayle
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

art + teaching/consulting
ableton certified trainer
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Precision

Post by Precision » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:53 am

Tone Deft wrote:put as much as you can into a Live set, then play an mp3 player between sets.

if you can, catch Pitch Black on tour, they pull it off for real.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1siG6_Pd-Mg
So cool - great to watch! After seeing it, I feel like canning work for the day and messing 'round with Live instead 8)
Tone Deft wrote: it's hard to code Python when you're knocked up on morphine with your dick in a sling.

ava

Post by ava » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:24 am

You can use WinAmp between sets, you can dock it so it covers only the top/middle of ableton titlebar so it doesnt get in the way, also useful if live crashes as it's imediatly available.