Richie Hawtin & Ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Marqx

Richie Hawtin & Ableton

Post by Marqx » Sun Jun 13, 2004 11:19 pm

i have been doing a lot of research on how to combine Ableton with regular dj-ing like Richie Hawtin does..

is it true that it is possible to let sound coming from the mixer run trough ableton so that you are able to use the ableton effects on it?

check this picture:

http://www.party-ludwigshafen.de/page_p ... 7&seite=35

You see in the screen of ableton 2 things that don't belong in ableton. on the right of the screen a blue strip and another blue strip in the middle of the screen.. what are these things? effects of some sort maybe?

does anyone have some specific info on what Richie uses exactly to run his setup??

Thanx in advance!

Marqx

Post by Marqx » Sun Jun 13, 2004 11:20 pm

And what are his most used effects in ableton??

dirtystudios

Post by dirtystudios » Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:07 am

the blue strip to the right is his desktop with some files on it.

k

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:40 am

the strip on the right means he hasnt learnt how to fullscreen ableton
and the strip going horizontally from my perspective looks like one of the PSP lexicon delay plugs.

Lucid

Re: Richie Hawtin & Ableton

Post by Lucid » Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:55 am

[quote="Marqx"]

is it true that it is possible to let sound coming from the mixer run trough ableton so that you are able to use the ableton effects on it?
are these things? effects of some sort maybe?

quote]

Unless I'm mistaken, you should be able to monitor incoming audio with effects through Live if you are able to achieve a very low latency with your audio hardware. I believe I've read the RME Hammerfall achieves the lowest possible latency. Turn on "Monitor through Live" in ableton options, turn off Direct Monitoring in your audio hardware if your audio hardware supports it, and reduce the latency to the lowest possible number by using an extremely small buffer and 96khz. Then just turn on the monitor switch for a track with live inputs and effects.

effekt

Post by effekt » Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:33 am

sweetjesus wrote:and the strip going horizontally from my perspective looks like one of the PSP lexicon delay plugs.
i would have to agree
Win XP Pro
2.5M P4
1Gb RAM
60GB 5400rpm HD
40GB 5400rpm modular HD
M-Audio Firewire 410
M-Audio Oxy 8
Ableton 3.0

drush

Post by drush » Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:10 pm

it is the lexicon plug

separate from this, one way to do so would be modifying speedy j's method: "The fourth method I use Live for is for using it as a multi-effect processor in a live performance situation instead of using a hardware effect rack. I made an arrangement in Live with on every track a different effects. For this I am using a RME Hammerfall with 8 in and outputs. Every auxiliary on my hardware mixer is routed into an input on the RME and to a track in Live. All tracks are armed for record in Live and the outputs of the tracks are plugged into the aux-returns of the hardware mixer."

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:47 pm

here comes the truth about Hawtin is using ABLETON . . . .

at first you need an X Zone 92 from Allen & Heath . . .the one and only DJ Mixer with Midi . . . yes yes . . . it could work as Master Clock and you can also change the speed of your Sequenzer . . . hehehe have a look at this :

here you can download the user guide : http://www.allen-heath.com/DL/xone92_ap5345_1.pdf

here the features : 6 stereo channels (4 phono or line, 2 mono/mic or stereo return)

2 auxiliary sends selectable pre/post fader (and crossfader)

MIDI output from VCF 1+2, crossfader, LFO (MIDI clock), dedicated data control and start/stop button

New twin-rail VCA channel faders or high quality VCA rotary faders

2 independent stereo mix outputs

2 VCF filters - any performance channel can be assigned to either filter and either side of crossfader

2 x independent Low Frequency Oscillators (LFO) for filter modulation

Active crossfader allowing contour to be set from smooth to scratch mix

Custom illumination showing status of all performance switches

4 band EQ - high definition of frequency bands, with ‘infinite kill’ on HF and LF; wide Q for cut, narrow Q for boost.

Dedicated booth output

Metering - extensive channel, output and cue metering

Intelligent cue system allowing pre or post EQ monitoring

Monitor section - includes post EQ switch; split cue and mix to cue balance

2 x headphone outputs ¼” and 3.5mm jack

Talkover facility on mono/mic channel attenuates music by 20dB

Dedicated clean feed record output

Universal power supply for worldwide performance

Internal installer options for system optimisation

Plinth or 19” rack mount ears included

...Spare knobs included

and know using the X Zone 92 with Ableton

You will need the following hardware:

PC/Laptop with minimum basic spec to run software

Sound card

MIDI Interface

Standard MIDI lead

Connect the MIDI lead from the Xone:92 MIDI out socket to the MIDI in socket on the computer MIDI interface.
Basic setup; for detailed information refer to the user guide or the Help section within the software.

To set up the MIDI input, click on Options, preferences to open the preferences screen.
Click the MIDI/Sync tab.

Remote Control
Select your computers MIDI interface.

Sync
Select your computers MIDI interface.
Set input sync type to "MIDI CLOCK"

Close the preferences window and click on the EXT button. Now when you press the START/STOP button on the Xone:92, the Live sequencer should automatically start. Press the START/STOP button again to stop the sequencer and rewind it to the beginning.
Tap in a tempo on the Filter 2 LFO button and the software will now play at that tempo, displayed on the top left of the screen.

To map the software controls to correspond to control input from the Xone:92, click on the MIDI button (top right of the screen)

All the controls that can have MIDI assignment will be highlighted.

Select a function (a fader or knob) within the software and then move one of the Xone:92 controls that transmit MIDI code. The sofware will automatically assign that function to the control on the 92.

Basic default setup could be:

Assign the Xone:92 Filter 1 frequency control to Send 1 fader.

Assign the Xone:92 Filter 2 frequency control to Send 2 fader.

Assign the Xone:92 Crossfader to the Ableton Live crossfader.

NOTE the software crossfader will also follow the contour control setting on the Xone:92.

Experiment to find the best setup for the way you wish to use the software.

enjoy and have PHONE . . . . :D

drush

Post by drush » Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:18 pm

not exactly the truth

actually richie's xone62 has/had midi. it was especially built for him ;)

he's now using a xone92 but it's also been specially modified. can't say how exactly.

Superchibisan

Post by Superchibisan » Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:33 pm

fuckers and getting specially made mixers for them, I WANT ONE!

drush

Post by drush » Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:26 pm

his father (re)built the first one. have your dad do it! :P

effekt

Post by effekt » Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:30 pm

i spoke with him at his LA show and i think they'll be taking on the 464 next...and i'm pretty sure either the 92 or the 62 will be released in limited quantities
Win XP Pro
2.5M P4
1Gb RAM
60GB 5400rpm HD
40GB 5400rpm modular HD
M-Audio Firewire 410
M-Audio Oxy 8
Ableton 3.0

drush

Post by drush » Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:36 pm

unlike vestax, a&h has shown a lot of interest in working with him on this stuff. and he's been using their large format mixers forever.

Boxerfresse

Post by Boxerfresse » Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:42 pm

Anonymous wrote:here comes the truth about Hawtin is using ABLETON . . . .

at first you need an X Zone 92 from Allen & Heath . . .the one and only DJ Mixer with Midi . . . yes yes . . . it could work as Master Clock and you can also change the speed of your Sequenzer . . . hehehe have a look at this :

here you can download the user guide : http://www.allen-heath.com/DL/xone92_ap5345_1.pdf
.....................................etc...etc.......etc.....

enjoy and have PHONE . . . . :D

that`s right , I saw Richi Hawtin at Musikmesse in Frankfurt at the Allen & Lounge where he was djing with this SETUP ..... the X Zone 92 with the new Midi features . . .there is no special Version for MR. Hawtin . . .sorry but there is realy no special Version . . some other DJ`s like CH.Liebing are working with the X-Zone 92 too . . and believe the 62`s Version has no Midi Features . . . only the 92`r has got the knob for the Sequenzer speed and only the 62 has got the tempo tab button for tabbing the tempo of the LIVE clips :D

drush

Post by drush » Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:59 pm

Boxerfresse wrote:there is no special Version for MR. Hawtin . . .sorry but there is realy no special Version . .
yeah, actually there is. he's using it right now. whether or not that is ever a production model, even on a limited basis, i have no idea.
Boxerfresse wrote:and believe the 62`s Version has no Midi Features . . .
richie's 62 mixer was customized for him. by his father. so no, there was no midi version of the 62. except for the 2 in existence that are.