my rant about timbaland

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Post Reply
dcease
Posts: 2405
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:43 am

Post by dcease » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:10 pm

Machinesworking wrote:Never saw the movie, but i might just for sadistic laughs......
you won't regret it...

leisuremuffin
Posts: 4721
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:45 am
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Post by leisuremuffin » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:44 pm

i guess i missed the fun.


whatever, i'm tired of defending one of the greatest electronic musicians of our time. I'm off to listen to ginuine's "my pony" on serious blast.



lol at sampling scandal, though. Most of us are involved in a style of music that routinely samples entire phrases of shit without paying. Some of us even like "mash ups" and other such horseshit. Some even think club DJ's are as worthy of praise for their talents as musicians! but timabland gets busted ripping a sample and it's the biggest fucking deal ever. That cat will get his money from timbo, if he hasn't already, i'd bet money on it. and now more people know who he is and how great his fucking 8 bit music is. boo hoooooo. i sure hope timbaland doesn't sample my shit.





.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

Nod
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:18 pm

Post by Nod » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:00 pm

leisuremuffin wrote:i'm tired of defending one of the greatest electronic musicians of our time.


Serious question Muffin - do you know of any footage anywhere that demonstrates his musical chops? Sure any mug can drop a sample onto a timeline or sit in front of an SSL G that they can't turn on without hiring someone in - but actually footage of him 'playing' an instrument? Here's one - tho' I think I may have linked this before:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-ZhIgJbsuY

@Tone Deft - re: Battery: best version ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCE1NnvonF0

logic_user99
Posts: 1965
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:58 pm
Location: Nottingham, UK

Post by logic_user99 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:00 pm

I like Timbaland. He isn't as good as The Neptunes (although their styles are very different) but he's still got some mad skills behind him; his latest is verging on 'retro' in sound...

I like the track with 'She Wants Revenge' on it. Dope.
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

Tone Deft
Posts: 24154
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:26 pm

Nod wrote:
leisuremuffin wrote:i'm tired of defending one of the greatest electronic musicians of our time.


Serious question Muffin - do you know of any footage anywhere that demonstrates his musical chops? Sure any mug can drop a sample onto a timeline or sit in front of an SSL G that they can't turn on without hiring someone in - but actually footage of him 'playing' an instrument? Here's one - tho' I think I may have linked this before:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-ZhIgJbsuY

@Tone Deft - re: Battery: best version ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCE1NnvonF0
.lm. - I'd appreciate linkage to some GOOD Timbaland songs.

that's really twisting the term 'electronic musician', the baseline of which woud have to include being a good piano player, not some finger drumming.

that studio video is some really intense turd polishing.

thanks for the Battery video, daaaaaaamn!!
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

leisuremuffin
Posts: 4721
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:45 am
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Post by leisuremuffin » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:30 pm

Nod wrote:
leisuremuffin wrote:i'm tired of defending one of the greatest electronic musicians of our time.


Serious question Muffin - do you know of any footage anywhere that demonstrates his musical chops? Sure any mug can drop a sample onto a timeline or sit in front of an SSL G that they can't turn on without hiring someone in - but actually footage of him 'playing' an instrument? Here's one - tho' I think I may have linked this before:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-ZhIgJbsuY

@Tone Deft - re: Battery: best version ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCE1NnvonF0

blah blah blah.

clip isn't of a timbaland production.

instrument "chops" are not relevant in all forms of electronic music, do you have any footage of autechre's musical chops? obviously not relevant to that kind of music. programming chops aren't as tangible as instrument chops and you don't have to be a virtuoso on any instrument to produce great electronic music.


go listen to "my pony" and tell me you could produce a track that hot. and that was 1996. fuck it, don't tell me, show me, where's your shit, or any of your friends shit that is that hot? maybe that's why we aren't making fuck-tons of money producing hip hop and rnb.


.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

leisuremuffin
Posts: 4721
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:45 am
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Post by leisuremuffin » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:33 pm

my pony. 1996, bitches:


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tMluz0R1LU

yeah, that track sucks.

fuck you idiots.


.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

b0unce
Posts: 5379
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:16 pm

Post by b0unce » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:34 pm

leisuremuffin wrote:Most of us are involved in a style of music that routinely samples entire phrases of shit without paying. Some of us even like "mash ups" and other such horseshit. Some even think club DJ's are as worthy of praise for their talents as musicians! but timabland gets busted ripping a sample and it's the biggest fucking deal ever. That cat will get his money from timbo, if he hasn't already, i'd bet money on it. and now more people know who he is and how great his fucking 8 bit music is. boo hoooooo. i sure hope timbaland doesn't sample my shit.
most of you aint multi-millionaires, and most of you aint selling the shit you jacked by the truckload (at the time)
Timbo wasn't just busted for ripping the sample, Timbo was busted for acting the absolute CUNT after finnish dude called shenanigans. Timbo denied shit, tried to justify it with weak-ass try-hard ham-fisted pseudo-intellectual sewage, and even began to counter-sue for 'slander'. He's dragging finnish dude through the courts to be a CUNT and no more, no one's buying finnish dudes tracks as a result of this, finnish dude is paying legal fees just to try and get what's rightfully his.

fuck timbo, he's a repugnant pig.
spreader of butter

Tone Deft
Posts: 24154
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:35 pm

leisuremuffin wrote:instrument "chops" are not relevant in all forms of electronic music, do you have any footage of autechre's musical chops? obviously not relevant to that kind of music. programming chops aren't as tangible as instrument chops and you don't have to be a virtuoso on any instrument to produce great electronic music.
it's the term musician. I get a chip on my shoulder after woodshedding on guitar for half my life and appreciating the danger of playing every singe freaking note by hand as opposed to programming or producing.

it's the same old argument that never really goes anywhere.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Tone Deft
Posts: 24154
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:38 pm

leisuremuffin wrote:my pony. 1996, bitches:


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tMluz0R1LU
good shit. got more? or even recommend a whole album of his shit that's worthwhile? no sarcasm, I know you follow this kind of hip hop more than I do (err all hip hop, respect where respect is due.)
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

leisuremuffin
Posts: 4721
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:45 am
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Post by leisuremuffin » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:39 pm

here's another piece of shit track made by a non-musician:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHnzjV8SaEY


or


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVMDyJrAyZE

i'm sure BT could produce a track with that kind of impact if he wanted to. riiiiiiight. no fuckin way.



.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

b0unce
Posts: 5379
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:16 pm

Post by b0unce » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:41 pm

fuck his skills.

no denying he knows how to put good beats together.



but the man is a fucking CUNT. you can't deny that shit.
spreader of butter

Nod
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:18 pm

Post by Nod » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:49 pm

leisuremuffin wrote:
clip isn't of a timbaland production.
As I said I'm looking for clips of him actually playing something as in the above - that may not seem relevant to you - but it is to me. Doesn't matter what record or who's.
instrument "chops" are not relevant in all forms of electronic music,
That's true - however good chops on something certainly are an indication, but not the be all & end all, of talent and an understanding and dedication to music, built over a number of years.
do you have any footage of autechre's musical chops? obviously not relevant to that kind of music. programming chops aren't as tangible as instrument chops and you don't have to be a virtuoso on any instrument to produce great electronic music.
Odd then that many of the pioneers, and well known artists, back in the day could actually play their (electronic) equipment in real time mostly to a virtuoso level...what would you say has been lost in the meantime?
fuck it, don't tell me, show me, where's your shit, or any of your friends shit that is that hot?


No one's claimed that I'm "one of the greatest electronic musicians of our time" hence there's no need - so chill out and find me a clip of the cat playing something hot, to make your point, and I'll not say another word about him.

leisuremuffin
Posts: 4721
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:45 am
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Post by leisuremuffin » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:52 pm

i don't give a shit what kind of person he is.


i'm a cunt too.


look, i don't deny that whole situation is fucked up, but people here aren't just talking about that. a lot of them don't realize this cat blows them out of the fucking water as an electronic musician. asshole or not. and what the fuck ever, i'll say it again, there are a shit-ton of electronic musicians stealing samples every fucking day. and those tracks get club play and people are like, "wow!" when it has the fucking billie jean bassline underneath. Fuck you fucking hypocrites.


another horrible beat from the 90's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqhDLuXj ... re=related



what ever.


.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

leisuremuffin
Posts: 4721
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:45 am
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Post by leisuremuffin » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:54 pm

Nod wrote:
leisuremuffin wrote:
clip isn't of a timbaland production.
As I said I'm looking for clips of him actually playing something as in the above - that may not seem relevant to you - but it is to me. Doesn't matter what record or who's.
instrument "chops" are not relevant in all forms of electronic music,
That's true - however good chops on something certainly are an indication, but not the be all & end all, of talent and an understanding and dedication to music, built over a number of years.
do you have any footage of autechre's musical chops? obviously not relevant to that kind of music. programming chops aren't as tangible as instrument chops and you don't have to be a virtuoso on any instrument to produce great electronic music.
Odd then that many of the pioneers, and well known artists, back in the day could actually play their (electronic) equipment in real time mostly to a virtuoso level...what would you say has been lost in the meantime?
fuck it, don't tell me, show me, where's your shit, or any of your friends shit that is that hot?


No one's claimed that I'm "one of the greatest electronic musicians of our time" hence there's no need - so chill out and find me a clip of the cat playing something hot, to make your point, and I'll not say another word about him.

you sir, are a moron. and i am done posting in this thread or responding to you. write back when you figure out what the fuck electronic music is.


.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

Post Reply