Need feedback on this!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
djgroovy

Need feedback on this!

Post by djgroovy » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:20 am

Hi,

I've just put a new track up on the myspace player (link on the signature), it's something i'm working on, called Musica Um, it's electro-ish.
It's a shortened preview with some fade ins and outs between sections.

I'd like some feedback on it, specially if it sounds good on your system, (i'm not too happy with my monitors/room and i've done much of it on headphones).

Cheers.

djgroovy

Post by djgroovy » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:59 pm

Up!

j2j

Post by j2j » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:43 pm

I tried but your my space takes forever to load
and I have highspeed...

and I not 128 k dsl. like serious high speed...
too many lasers...

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:38 am

a little muddled in the bass

the dropout at 1:30 sounds more like the audio crapped out than a break, not sure of your intention there. happened again at 1:58...

sounds a little muddy, up the mids a bit (I think that's what you want.)

there are some lines that come out crisp in the mix.

my monitors suck in the bass area, this sounds about right in the bass so it's probably a bit bass heavy on a real system.

dunno, my $0.02, there are better people to take advice from.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

djgroovy

Post by djgroovy » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:45 am

j2j wrote:I tried but your my space takes forever to load
and I have highspeed...

and I not 128 k dsl. like serious high speed...
Well, it's not my myspace, it's Rupert Murdoch's... i blame him! 8)

eamoon

Post by eamoon » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:45 am

Yeah, a bit bass-heavy. There's some nice flam-y rhythm stuff in there but it's getting compressed away to almost nothing... maybe try programming some of your "dynamics" w/ volume envelopes instead of running it through a really heavy compressor? Compress only certain rhythm/bass parts as a submix to let the rest breathe?

(reviewing a mix from crappy myspace-grade mp3s is always a bit dodgy, so take the above w/ a grain of salt)

It does sound like a headphone mix. Mine tend to be muddy in much the same way.

I really like how that blippy bass part anchors the track. Gets maybe a bit too effected and "gloopy" by the end. Arrangement-wise, it kind of loses energy over the course of the tune... maybe find a way to bring back some of the early punchiness as you drop elements out?

djgroovy

Post by djgroovy » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:54 am

Tone Deft wrote:a little muddled in the bass

the dropout at 1:30 sounds more like the audio crapped out than a break, not sure of your intention there. happened again at 1:58...

sounds a little muddy, up the mids a bit (I think that's what you want.)

there are some lines that come out crisp in the mix.

my monitors suck in the bass area, this sounds about right in the bass so it's probably a bit bass heavy on a real system.

dunno, my $0.02, there are better people to take advice from.
Thanks Tone.

Those dropouts are intentional and not in the final version, that's just for the myspace player... i made a quick edit of the 7:02 track by cutting 3 sections and pasting them with a very quick fade in between.
It makes the file smaller and helps discourage piracy. :lol:

My monitors also lack in the bass dept. I'll have to check that.

djgroovy

Post by djgroovy » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:02 am

eamoon wrote:Yeah, a bit bass-heavy. There's some nice flam-y rhythm stuff in there but it's getting compressed away to almost nothing... maybe try programming some of your "dynamics" w/ volume envelopes instead of running it through a really heavy compressor? Compress only certain rhythm/bass parts as a submix to let the rest breathe?

(reviewing a mix from crappy myspace-grade mp3s is always a bit dodgy, so take the above w/ a grain of salt)

It does sound like a headphone mix. Mine tend to be muddy in much the same way.

I really like how that blippy bass part anchors the track. Gets maybe a bit too effected and "gloopy" by the end. Arrangement-wise, it kind of loses energy over the course of the tune... maybe find a way to bring back some of the early punchiness as you drop elements out?
I do have volume envelopes going on, and three diferent submixes too. The overkill comes from the mastering effects i slapped on it quickly before rendering.

As far as the arrangement goes, what you listened to were 3 unconnected sections, it's not the full mix obviously, but it does get a bit full sometimes.
But again that is probably more because of the muddiness i reckon.

I think it's close, i just have to burn a cd and go listen to this on diferent systems.

eamoon

Post by eamoon » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:07 am

if any of those systems have an audio input, bring your laptop and experiment with mastering/mix ideas on them (starting w/ raw but loud, maybe clipping even). that's a big reason why I bother to do live shows :)