OT: Anyone know a good Apple forum?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
MarkH

OT: Anyone know a good Apple forum?

Post by MarkH » Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:21 pm

Looking for a good forum to talk about Apple, OS X, and would be helpful if it was a mustic related site but it doesn't have to be.

I'm looking to swap the Powerbook's internal hard drive for a Hitachi Travelstar 7200 RPM but want to know how hard it is to pop open the 15.2" Aluminum 1.5Ghz model and whether it will be too hot.

Thanks!
MarkH

the8bitdeity

Post by the8bitdeity » Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:28 pm

forge

Post by forge » Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:34 pm

I have one of those and I'm thinking of selling it because of heat issues in my PC - it's been overheating since putting it in, and my powerbook is a pismo with the 900mhz upgrade which runs as hot as the pismo can deal with so I'm not sure I'd risk it in there either

the Apple.com site has stuff in the support section about 'user upgradable maintenance' or the right words for that, i found out how to do my PB there

if you want music related www.osxaudio.com is great - and there's usually people who'll answer general mac questions on the forums, and there's also www.macmusic.org - they're good places to start, but do the old google thing you should come up with loads

Vercengetorex

Post by Vercengetorex » Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:44 pm

MarkH:
This site has step by step OFFICIAL apple dissasembly and matinence instructions:
http://home.earthlink.net/~strahm_s/manuals.html

A very good friend of mine (and Live user Vivaplex) has a 15" TiBook, and runs that very same 7200rpm drive with no problem. I realize that you are talking about putting it in an AlBook, however I would not be concearned as the AlBooks seem to be far better at dissapating heat. I will try and get Vivaplex over to this thread to pop in his observations regarding this upgrade.
I cant think of a sig

nickw

Post by nickw » Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:44 pm

a good list for all things powerbook is at

www.themacintoshguy.com/lists/Titanium.html

replacing the hard drive is one of the regular discussions there.

A regular poster is one S Wozniak.

HTH

Nickw

drush

Post by drush » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:56 pm

this has been specifically discussed on xlr8yourmac.com -- check there
also a great place for general info about mac upgrades & changes

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:56 am

Try

http://community.sonikmatter.com/cgi-bi ... matebb.cgi

Its a very good forum dedicated to Logic, but if you scroll down you will find 3 forums that could be of use to you

Mac Hardware

OSX

Community

Its a bit more moderated and formal that the Ableton forum but guys there (especially the mods) really know their sh1t

Its full of Aussies and Kiwis too, so that can't be a bad thing
8)

HTH
paddy
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

rajcoont

Post by rajcoont » Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:01 am

for general mac info

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/6/ubb.x ... 8300945231

is head and shoulders above the rest, tons of knowledgable and helpful people, like all good forums it ebbs and flows but it and ablton are the only two i check on a dialy basis