Harware Samplers - anyone still rock them?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
pamplemousse_mk2

Re: Harware Samplers - anyone still rock them?

Post by pamplemousse_mk2 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:51 am

Hi everyone,

I have the opportinity to buy a SU700, perhaps with SCSI interface.

I currently use Live as DAW, with a Trigger Finger and a LPD8 for drum rack and Impulse. I recently get a cassette recorder to record my drum parts to a tape and resample them back to Live to get an "analog" feeling. And I will buy a APC40 (that is sure).

Presently, my set up seems good. But after reading the last responses on this post about the SU700, I'm tempted to buy a SU700. But what this SU700 can bring me more than what I have already? I will certainly perform gigs with a pianist, a guitarist and my laptop running Live: how and what for can I use the SU700, in addition to Live?

I mean, Live is my sequencer. Live is my sampler. It can chop, warp, play reverse, beat-repeat, etc... So why would I use a hardware sampler in addition to this? For its effects? The sound (compressed, reverbed, etc) out of the hardware? I'm afraid that I feel I need a SU700 just because 10 years ago I wanted one but never bought it, and today it is just to satisfy an old fantasy (you know what I mean?). I don't want to invest in an useless device.

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:17 am

I don't think it would be useless. Redundant, maybe, but not useless. I still have my old Roland SP-808 sampler, and I will probably never get rid of it. It was my first piece of gear. Can Live do everything it does and more? Absolutely, and a hell of a lot faster, easier, etc. However...

Don't discount the importance of the interface of the device you're using. Lots of tools can accomplish similar tasks, sometimes with amazingly different results. Operating within the limtiations of a device can create good results, too. If anything, working with a piece of hardware like the Yamaha unit will give you a sense of appreciation for how easy we have it today. I say jump, and if you hate it, sell it.

Oh, be sure to check out Speedy J's older live performance stuff. He used to do live sets with two SU700s.

T.I.M.

Post by T.I.M. » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:44 am

I used to have an Emu 6400. To this day that is one of the best sounding samplers ive ever used. I do dislike working on rack mounted gear. The ergonomics never made me comfortable.

drchoc

Post by drchoc » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:00 am

Agreed with above poster.

In my experience with hardware sampler grooveboxes they are more rewarding if you can use them away from your computer. Perhaps connected to a CD player, turntable or even a radio, so you can just grab a few chunks of audio and go mad. Once I connected my SCSI hard drive to my yamaha RS7000 I was less productive and would try and spend a lot of time loading high quality samples.

I suppose I was using the sampler to generate fast organic ideas, and if I was preparing a live set then the mentality would be different.

Also once I started connecting the sampler to the computer to record in to live I became less productive again.

dealing with latency and multiple outputs = pain
mashing grooves together away from a screen = party bizness

kb420

Post by kb420 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:32 am

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

pamplemousse_mk2

Post by pamplemousse_mk2 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:28 am

kb420 wrote:Image
Hi,

could you tell me why you need an MPC (is it an MPC60?)? Is it because its samples sound better than Live? Or is it because, like Silverfish and drchoc said, having hardware limitations bring you more creativity?

netwarrior

Post by netwarrior » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:33 pm

hardware is like toys with sole, software is just a piece of code ... soleless...

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:28 am

nice 3000 kb420....what do you think about the overall sound of the 3000? or do you just use it as a controller or sequencer for software?

JAMM

Post by JAMM » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:36 am

I have a EMU 3xp somewhere....i don,t know where....but it,s taking up dust.
Happy now with my software/laptop.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:28 pm

netwarrior wrote:hardware is like toys with sole, software is just a piece of code ... soleless...

just tape a shoe to your computer, problem solved.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

T.I.M.

Post by T.I.M. » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:40 pm

leisuremuffin wrote:
netwarrior wrote:hardware is like toys with sole, software is just a piece of code ... soleless...

just tape a shoe to your computer, problem solved.

.lm.
:lol:

WaveRider

Post by WaveRider » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:30 am

snakes and ladders wrote:I'm thinking about getting an EMU - e4xtultra> I heard my friends Emu and it sounded amazing - the filters were incredible.
Does anyone else still hardware samplers anymore?
The emu is sort of a hybrid synth/sampler/sequencer.
I'm amazed at how cheap they are- this was an $6000 sampler 8 years ago and I can get it for $800aud.
yeah man I hear you, I just finished building a nice emu rig, 1 e5000 ultra + 1 e6400 ultra, plus a nice rack mounted 2X SSD drives. Those sampler go for ridiculous prices. I am just starting to use mine, and yeah they sound fab, the sound is very detailed and smooth, then you start listening to any other digital rompler (including emu's own) they all seem lo-fi. Hard to explain, but the sound really surprised me.

The bad part is a very old non interesting sound lib, but I imported some of my own and I'll see what I can do sampling with it. I was used to EmuX in software format, but now use an all-hardware setup for composing and needed sampled instruments.

It's quite a silly purchase really, I have a daw after all :lol: I'll see if it was worth it later on!

WaveRider

Post by WaveRider » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:41 am

pamplemousse_mk2 wrote: just because 10 years ago I wanted one but never bought it, and today it is just to satisfy an old fantasy (you know what I mean?).
yeah, 25 years ago me wanted an emu sampler :oops: now I got one. ooups 2. useless? no way... I already noticed the pleasing sound of recorded ambience samples. It's for the color of sound, being able to work away from the computer for a while, plus it never ever clicks like EmuX sometimes did, and the interface is quite nice on those ultras. And I am talking about the price of an MFB synth to get 2 ultras plus SSD storage.

Zeddy

Post by Zeddy » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:52 am

How do people feel about the Elektron Octatrack? It seems kind of like a new 'generation' of hardware sampler, mixed with a Machine Drum. Pretty cool looking. It might be worth checking out if you want a hardware sampler.