Future Live 4 Mac users who want more viruses just buy a PC

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 24, 2004 5:36 am

most spyware and adware gets through via Internet Explorer..

using something like Mozilla's Firefox would be a step in the more secure direction.

but really - if someone wanted to use a PC for live - and owned a mac... then why not get the cheap $500 PC and use it for live and never let it touch the internet right? let your mac do that!

raapie

Post by raapie » Thu Jun 24, 2004 6:26 am

oh yeah! Firefox is fantastic. I only use this browser lately!
Marco Raaphorst

music, sound & story maker

https://melodiefabriek.com

claudek

Post by claudek » Thu Jun 24, 2004 7:23 am

Anonymous wrote:most spyware and adware gets through via Internet Explorer..

using something like Mozilla's Firefox would be a step in the more secure direction.

but really - if someone wanted to use a PC for live - and owned a mac... then why not get the cheap $500 PC and use it for live and never let it touch the internet right? let your mac do that!
I use my Mac for web and graphics and my PC just for Live..

gilbert

Post by gilbert » Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:25 am

like the poster above, I use a mac for the internet and a PC for live. My PC has never even seen the internet!

loophead

Post by loophead » Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:45 pm

anti-banausic wrote:

"I go to a space in NYC where absolutely every one is using MACs, do they rant? Do they tell me to go home? NO."

Well anti SOME of us prefer to travel in better circles. :wink:

Know a better class of people. :) Are more discriminating.... :D

you know... 8)

Or maybe its all part of our desire to do good in the world for the poor misinformed, trying to uplift the savage heathens ! It's part of the "beautify the great unwashed program" !

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I mean seriously, my mom and dad always told me not to stare and point at the poor unfortunate man ! ! :roll:

Alex Reynolds

Post by Alex Reynolds » Thu Jun 24, 2004 5:53 pm

I had to apply a firmware updater for a Toshiba Satellite laptop last night and it turned out the firmware updater file was infected with W32.Pinfi.

Infected 28 files, including a key operating system file. Luckily we could clean it up.

So I don't want to hear from the Windows crowd that viruses don't exist or its always the end user's fault. That's just bullshit.

hoffman2k

mac/pc

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Jun 24, 2004 7:24 pm

After all the horrors i experienced with pc, i'm sure i'll stick to mac.
But the biggest reason of all is this:
say you'll buy a 1000$ pc, next year it's value will have decreased almost to peanuts.
Mac's are indeed a bit overprised, but a 2000$ mac can still be sold for 1800 the nex year.

there was always something wrong with the hardware of any pc i had. i couldn't do 10 things at once and had to wait alot.
Cant even remember how many times i overheated the damn things.
My powermac had been running for over 2 years now. still runs fine. only shut it down when i go on vacations.
and as for viruses, never seen one. i think it will be big news when they find one if you look at the fuzz they made about that mp3 trojan.

rasputin

Me three!

Post by rasputin » Thu Jun 24, 2004 7:59 pm

gilbert wrote:like the poster above, I use a mac for the internet and a PC for live. My PC has never even seen the internet!
Glad to see I'm not the only person doing this.

I generally only download stuff from reputable places (e.g.,
software updates from the manufacturers sites) but even if I
go crazy and download some random VST, or pull a file off a
Future Music CDROM that's infected, there is no connection
between my PC and the net...

rasputin (posting as guest out of laziness..)

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:23 pm

yes i'm doing this too
dual800 g4 for mail, web and some osx only apps

highly tuned xp pro (www.blackviper.com, using the "super tweak" settings) just for music. nothing works expect mouse, screen and sound card ;) (no printing, no cd burning, no itunes, no media player, etc...)

and another big bloated xp partition for work which takes 2 full minutes to boot and/or shutdown. the 'two partition' scheme is HIGHHLY recommended btw

i definitely prefer the mac for non-music or non-development use (yes i'm a developer)

i would go all mac if i could afford it both price-wise and cpu power wise, but i've got a fast centrino pc so it would take a very expensive mac to be on par (which my boss wouldn't pay for as he did for the pc)

drush

Post by drush » Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:20 pm

i get by using just the musicxp.net tweaks on my 1.8 centrino and have no problems at all. i do have a couple different partitions tho. os and apps are separate from everything else.

raapie

Post by raapie » Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:51 am

XP needs almost no tweaking. the only thing I do is quit all animations for windows and let it put priority on background tasks (like a server).

all the suggestions from other sites (quitting services etc.) are not smart to do since it's harder to debug your system in case you end up in trouble.
Marco Raaphorst

music, sound & story maker

https://melodiefabriek.com

trolling police

Post by trolling police » Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:28 am

but really, EVERYBODY knows macs are easier to use, higher mhz doesn't mean more power, two-button mice are confusing, and that windows users are mindless lemmings incapable of significant creative output.

Why bother writing that shit just to piss off people? I really don't understand people like you. Do you really think what you do is about being creative? Sounds more like destructive to me.

Vercengetorex

Post by Vercengetorex » Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:37 am

Yo Trolling Police...
Perhaps you should have read this entire thread...
He later says he was kidding.

To each his own I say.

However Trolling Police it seems like you are the troll on this thread. And you are the one interested in conflict...

Let us hope I am wrong, and it was simple error on your part.
I cant think of a sig

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:02 pm

I have 7 pc's, 1 mac. none of my 7 pc's have had a virus in the last 6-8 years. people who get viruses don't know what there doing. if you have any clue about pc's and computers in general, you wont get viruses. sure, i get emails with viruses probably once or twice a month, do they do any harm? hell no. AVG! using the "virus" excuses against a pc is simply retarded. blame the user, not the platform.

bigbadotis

Post by bigbadotis » Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:40 pm

Lest anybody be in doubt...

I really was kidding in both my previous posts. In fact, I started this whole thread as a joke in response to the thread claudek started earlier.

Heck, in good faith, I'm typing this on a Windows machine right now. But using Mozilla. Wouldn't want to be using IE today...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3840101.stm