UserConfiguration.txt oddities, a bug?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Pasha

UserConfiguration.txt oddities, a bug?

Post by Pasha » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:18 am

Hi,

I've managed to make Bank Switching work with UserConfiguration.txt,
but it seems to work only when a device (Instrument or Fx) has the blue hand.
Live gives feedback in the status bar showing the Bank I'm working on (i.e. which Oscillator parameter I'm tweaking in Operator). However this is not working on the Tracks. I'm always controlling volume for tracks 1-8. I would have expected a different behavior for tracks.
Does anyone has experience to share on this? is this the expected behavior?
I post here but if it turns out as a bug I'll post in the bug section.

- Best
- Pasha
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:30 pm

hey

i wondered about this when i first started using Live 6 with my CME UF80...

i also expected bank switching to work like a Mackie Control would on tracks/channels but unfortunately it seems that it only works on devices... other users and Ableton support confirmed this...

it is a serious limitation, and i don't really understand why they haven't implemented channel shifting of the controls... makes the whole instant mapping thing kinda useful and useless at the same time!

Ableton support suggested hacking the Mackie Control script (although it may be better to hack a different script depending on your controller/s), but instead i use LC Xmu (great app, but OS X only) to do Mackie Control emulation...

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:37 pm

fishmonkey wrote:hey

i wondered about this when i first started using Live 6 with my CME UF80...

i also expected bank switching to work like a Mackie Control would on tracks/channels but unfortunately it seems that it only works on devices... other users and Ableton support confirmed this...

it is a serious limitation, and i don't really understand why they haven't implemented channel shifting of the controls... makes the whole instant mapping thing kinda useful and useless at the same time!

Ableton support suggested hacking the Mackie Control script (although it may be better to hack a different script depending on your controller/s), but instead i use LC Xmu (great app, but OS X only) to do Mackie Control emulation...
Thanks for reply. I had this doubt... now confirmed. :cry:
Yes, it's very strange they didn't implement this as track shifting.
That's why every owner of non-Mackie MIDI Controller always tries to reprogram it in Mackie Mode.

- Best
- Pasha
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers