how to roll your own Operator drums

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:25 am

edited - I asked about what note to use, just reading now to use the FIXED FREQ feature.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Tytus

Post by Tytus » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:15 am

Toob wrote:
Tytus wrote:
forge wrote: in the help menu in Live
Sorry...dont see em. Looking in the "all lessons" and "table of contents". no mention of operator. whats the path exactly? i know abes dont make it this hard to find tutorials...
In Live 7 go to the lessons, scroll down and click on "More Lessons...". Then you'll see a Table of Contents in which you can scroll down again untill you see the Operator heading. Underneath it there will be 6 short lessons. Have you installed Live and Operator properly?
yea i have the demo. i guess i have to purchase Live for those videos.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:18 am

all the videos are here
http://www.ableton.com/movies

and on youtube.

interesting tips, going through these now...

heavy post CS, nice download too, thank you.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:07 am

Had a play around last night for a couple of hours...without too much success. Got a lot of work to do for drums and all the links will help me with that. Goijg to start from scratch over the weekend and build the knowledge.

Did end up with some great sounding patches though! albeit not drums...

Toob

Post by Toob » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:14 pm

eryx666 posted this on mnml.nl, maybe it can help: http://www.waldorfmusic.de/assets/files ... sounds.pdf

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:42 am

thanks again, hitting this up again tonight, last night I was BEAT.

I'm ashamed at how little I've taken advantage of loop and repeat features. the implications for basslines and drums is SICK!!

wow, nice trick on OSC C to get it to sound random like that. damn I do not know Operator. I thought I kinda did, but damn...

/mind blown
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

Toob

Post by Toob » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:35 am

Tone Deft wrote:
thanks again, hitting this up again tonight, last night I was BEAT.

I'm ashamed at how little I've taken advantage of loop and repeat features. the implications for basslines and drums is SICK!!

wow, nice trick on OSC C to get it to sound random like that. damn I do not know Operator. I thought I kinda did, but damn...

/mind blown
:D

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:50 am

This is how I learned back'n' the day :

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/allsynthsecrets.htm

check out the parts about drums... u got 2 chapters per drum/cymbal...
he covers most bases in these...
and he shows various possibilities and how it's done in 808's and 909's...
a little late in the thread...but...
hope this helps!

:P

michaellpenman

Post by michaellpenman » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:18 pm

mdk

Post by mdk » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:46 pm

forge wrote:well done that man! Good job

again - notice the absense of cymbal! :wink: [edit: just looked more closely at the Hi-Hat - he used 6 oscillators!! so there ya go!]

take a look at the clap - that;s an interesting one

if you look at the waveform in the 'drum machines' bundle at the clap the attack has about 4 peaks - claps have this kind of flamming attack - called 'roll in' in marvotron's kit - he's used an arpeggiator to create it - I've used a simple delay before set to 'time' and with the delay time around 20ms
cool man, glad you like it, its been lurking in that 'share your racks' list in the tips and tricks forum for ages, good to see it out and about getting some air :)

as for cymbals, really really hard, i was playing about last night and im getting close to some kind of ride cymbal (well, its more like hitting a piece of metal, but i've just started..), but for a crash cymbal :?

no suprise that the 909 used samples.

there is a document about the waldorf attack which has some interesting info about some of the classic sounds, you can read it here :

http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:nJ ... sounds.pdf
Pr0k Records - Bandcamp Facebook Twitter

forge

Post by forge » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:08 pm

yeah I've been reading the waldorf attack PDF a bit lately - I have been building a kit using a sliced beat box sample and just using the samples as simple waveforms looped - I'll upload the kit when it's done, but I did a ride I'm quite happy with just using 3 simplers with tight loops of the 'chhhsssh' sound I made with the mic :wink: -

yeah I gave up on a crash - i got something vaguely usable, but nothing really good enough