guitar players - what's fun to play?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tone Deft

guitar players - what's fun to play?

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:42 pm

looking to learn some new choons to learn, stuff with a high fun factor that's current or kinda current.

youtube has been great for finding tunes to jam along with, been learning Clash tunes lately. easy but damn cool.

muchos TIA.

\m/
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

stonee

Post by stonee » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:05 pm

don ross

andy mackee

erick mongrain
have fun :)
Last edited by stonee on Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

thefool

Post by thefool » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:07 pm

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:09 pm

right...

thanks but you totally missed the point. I'm looking for grip it and rip it fun stuff to learn on a Sunday afternoon. pop tunes basically, recently published stuff. maybe it's just not out there.

amazing player though, outstanding dynamics and polyphony. great tune, for an elevator. ;) I'm always up for a thread on great youtubes, just looking for tunes to check out.

what are you playing lately?
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:10 pm

yeah yeah yeah just that video in your sig, we get it. do you play guitar?

I don't think there are any tunes published today. :( I'm still stuck in the grunge era for guitar tunes. shit like these pumpkins tunes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDYhqi1_lKo <-- Mayonnaise
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeAiQ1UP ... re=related <-- Siva
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:48 pm

Deftones! Deftones! Haha. I love their stuff, esp. to play on an acoustic guitar. It sounds so moody. That, and Tool. Alot of their material translates really well onto acoustic.
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:58 pm

that's a damn good idea, thanks man, much appreciated. I also love playing rawk on the acoustic, Tenacious D are awesome at that. all hail KG.

youtube in one browser, the tab/chords in another browser, works great. then hit up the Line6 site, search for a Tool preset, click, it uploads in seconds, rock on.

damn with the Tool youtubes the videos are distracting
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07pLGIgyfjw <-- stinkfist, great freaking song and video
tab FWIW
http://www.guitaretab.com/t/tool/

I didn't know the Deftones used so many crazy open tunings. Foo Fighters do the same, makes it a bitch to play their songs.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:26 pm

They all use open tunings because they can't actually play the guitar.

Try some Steely Dan. It takes Donald Fagen to really bring out the fucking best in Larry Carlton. Holy shit that stuff is sick. Some Hey Nineteen. Peg. Reelin' In The Years. Kid Charlemagne. Fuck, that is some fun stuff to play.

You want solos to transcribe, or just things to play chord changes to? These have both.

Or are looking for some Fall Out Boy goodness?
Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:29 pm

For acoustic, I always like playing some Paul Simon or James Taylor. Obviously plenty of material to cull through to keep you busy, and it should be stuff your ears are so retardedly familiar with that it's easier to get your fingers to do what they should.

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:34 pm

Other poppy current stuff: Shins, Death Cab. Ooh, Cake is fun, too. Know "Hey, Dalila" yet? Chili Peppers. Raconteurs.

Heavier? Try some Muse. Work on your arpeggios.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:47 pm

nice post puffy

fallout boy - holy fuck that's some simple shit. I'm ashamed to like that band, there's some retarded shit on their albums. a review I read once said "I never understood teen angst until Pete Wentz explained it to me." great lyrics, total dorks, huge sellouts (well played LOL).

Taylor and Simon - totally, but yeah, looking for stupid simple learn a bunch of stuff on a Sunday afternoon shit. Taylor's playing is a little more in depth. then there's the whole Simon and Garfunkel catalog. goes great with the Tool I was just playing.

"Hey, Delilah". thefool - if you play that song to 5 chicks, you WILL get laid, a true 'pantydroppers' song. in college for me it was 'More Than Words' and 'Romanza' (cheeseball classical song. totally sick of hearing it, but good to know, dead simple.
http://www.tabcrawler.com/search.php?sh ... guitar+tab

Cake's another great one, as is Death Cab, Raconteurs, great simple effective. I know the standard RHCP BSSM tunes, good shit.

OK, enough internets, gotta play.

daylight savings sucks ass. we should lose an hour twice a year, keep people chilled out, but on their toes.

thanks.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

nate_D

Post by nate_D » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:51 pm

Tone Deft wrote: I don't think there are any tunes published today. :( I'm still stuck in the grunge era for guitar tunes. shit like these pumpkins tunes
shit. i was gonna say anything off siamese dream. even though its really easy i've been going back to nevermind/inutero just to crank it up and practice singing/playing at the same time. :wink:
Macbook 2ghz c2d, 2gb ram, osx 10.5.5, live 8.0.8, fw-1884, ms20, x-session, 2xLP

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:04 am

Rip it up with some simple Ramones riffs, like I wanna be sedated or gimme gimme shock treatment etc. Easy to play but cool as f**k.

Or Velvet Underground or early Bowie etc. Or The Smiths or Talking Heads.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

Post by 4.33 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:14 am

speaking of the comedy-theatrical stuff (tenacious d type) check out "flight of the conchords" on youtube, they're hilarious!

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:18 am

I liked to play to Incubus, too, when I was in to heavier stuff.

Layer on the phase & delay! Make that Pod of yours work!