so what is the consensus on Analog?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
alex.the.forge

Post by alex.the.forge » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:40 am

3dot... wrote:...thing is it doesn't matter... we're discussing this....

but they aint gonna change jack shit...

...kinda sad... :cry:
you so sure?

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:48 am

tits
spreader of butter

forge

Post by forge » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:42 pm

just want to reiterate - it's the interface I'm talking about

I actually really like the sound and I'm using it quite a bit

I just find I'm not doing much programming with it beynd loading presets because my eyes are too crap for keyhole surgery

Marx

Post by Marx » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:01 pm

I bought the upgrade to Live Suite for 330 when it first came out and was immediately disappointed.

Electric, Analog, and Tension are all right but for the money there are FAR SUPERIOR virtual instruments. IE anything by Native Instruments. I wanted to make Live my more central program and move away from plugging in Reaktor and Rewiring to Reason, solely because of the incredible CPU usage (when I have reaktor plugged in and am running muliple tracks it uses about 60% of my MacBook Pro's CPU).

If you're buying Virtual Instruments go with NATIVE INSTRUMENTS or REASON.

ZAQ

Post by ZAQ » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:03 pm

can´t second that.
I absolutely love the sound of analog and electric!
haven´t used tension much...
really psyched to have all that together with operator and sampler in one package!

the analog interface could be better, but it´s not really bothering me much...

for some reason I dislike what I have seen/heard from NI so far... can´t put my finger on it, though.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:38 pm

Marx wrote:I bought the upgrade to Live Suite for 330 when it first came out and was immediately disappointed.

Electric, Analog, and Tension are all right but for the money there are FAR SUPERIOR virtual instruments. IE anything by Native Instruments. I wanted to make Live my more central program and move away from plugging in Reaktor and Rewiring to Reason, solely because of the incredible CPU usage (when I have reaktor plugged in and am running muliple tracks it uses about 60% of my MacBook Pro's CPU).

If you're buying Virtual Instruments go with NATIVE INSTRUMENTS or REASON.
are you seriously saying there are better deals than 330 for analog, electric, tension, operator, sampler and the live 7 upgrade. how else are you gonna spend 330 to get more than that?
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:24 pm

NI stuff is not VASTLY superior - Electric is as good as anything for an electric piano (including Elektrik Piano) and although I like FM8 and agree it has a stronger range of presets, Operator is just as capable a synth, patches from Puremagnetik and Covert Operators (including some freebies) showcase it better than the included presets.

Kontakt is a very different kind of sampler from Ableton's Sampler and both have their strengths and weaknesses, for immediate playback of sampled sounds Kontakt is better but Sampler is fine and better for weird tweaking.

What does NI have that does physical string modelling like Tension?

I got the educational upgrade for 239 dollars from Live 6. I got the new improvements in 7 plus 5 quality virtual instruments and drum machines. That deal was the best !!
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:18 am

I like the interface but i think it sounds pretty crappy.

forge

Post by forge » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:04 am

djsynchro wrote:I like the interface but i think it sounds pretty crappy.
:lol: now that sounds like you are just disagreeing for the sake of it!

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:13 am

speaking of pro53..
....would love to have the option to route audio through 'Analog's Filter/Amp modules...

I like the filter section in 'Analog'... and I like the modulation...

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:13 pm

forge wrote:
djsynchro wrote:I like the interface but i think it sounds pretty crappy.
:lol: now that sounds like you are just disagreeing for the sake of it!
I took it for another spin and got some cool sounds of it.

R.J.Dubya

Post by R.J.Dubya » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:18 pm

Is it me, or is it quite difficult to get sharp snappy attacks with analog's envelopes?
aka glitchrock-buddha
303 posts as Winston

Macbook pro C2D 2.16, Firepod, rubber band and a stick.

fiz

Post by fiz » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:53 pm

djsynchro wrote:I took it for another spin and got some cool sounds of it.
As I'm still pretty new to synths, I didn't know how good Analog's sound really is. After "shopping around" a bit, I started to appreciate Analog a lot more...while hating the UI.

Finally, I decided to buy AAS's UltraAnalog VA-1, as it has the same great sound, and a very clear, usable UI. I didn't bother to ask the folks at AAS whether this was part of their marketing strategy in designing Analog for Live or not...but in my case, the poor UI of Analog has worked out well for them.

One thing Analog has that UltraAnalog doesn't: graphical envelopes. Those rock, and I do miss them. Can't have everything....

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:55 am

R.J.Dubya wrote:Is it me, or is it quite difficult to get sharp snappy attacks with analog's envelopes?
This is one area where it really shines so you must be doing something wrong. Don't forget to have the filter envelope modulate the filter, it will enhance the effect, and set the envelopes to exponential.

The other good thing is that the filter can (over) track the keyboard by 400%!