"Wrapping" Notes

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
djwesley

"Wrapping" Notes

Post by djwesley » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:32 am

OK, maybe this is a dumb question... Actually two related questions... But is it possible to "wrap" notes in a MIDI loop?

Two scenarios...

1. I want a quarter note in my loop (in terms of its duration), but the loop breaks right in the middle of it (at the eighth), and obviously starting an eighth note at the beginning of the loop re-strikes the note. I want that quarter to wrap the end of the loop back around to the front.

2. I want a single, sustained note, as if held down for an entire 8 measure phrase, but stick it in a loop that's, say, one measure long so I have more flexibility in using it.

In both cases, I'm working in Session View (perhaps obviously).

I haven't found anything in the manual, but surely I have to be missing something obvious.

mr-e

Post by mr-e » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:04 am

Amen , those cut off midi notes are driving me crazy too !
Usually I just consolidate the whole midi track and re'edit the cut off notes ... making the whole 'loop' button in midi clips useless :-(

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:58 am

would it work to draw a sustain event at the end and beginning of the loop?

didn't test it

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:37 am

just move the loop brace to the end of the held note, and keep the start marker where it is.

djwesley

Post by djwesley » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:14 am

garyboozy wrote:just move the loop brace to the end of the held note, and keep the start marker where it is.
In retrospect? Duh! Yeah, that was the magic answer, even if not quite correctly stated.

In order to get what I was after, the clip start and clip end markers remain as-is. The loop start and loop end markers both come-in a little bit so the note never ends, and never gets re-struck.

Thank you, thank you for putting me onto the right solution. Amazing how one's mind can get hung-up on the loop and clip markers always being the same (or having to be) when obviously they do NOT have to be.