Graphic design software

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
smutek

Post by smutek » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:49 am

Mesmer wrote:
oh and consider the whole "Industry Standard" sales pitch: rubbish.
h
It is, unless you are looking for a job. Unfortunately proficiency in Gimp, Inkscape and Scribus isn't going to fly with a potential employer, unless of course that proficiency translates to Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign because that is what they expect you to know.

It's a shame, but it is true.

I did read an article a while back about a university professor who was teaching his kids on all open source software, as a way of making a statement and showing that Adobe isn't the only answer for effective design tools. I'm not up to speed on all of the others, but if you look at some Inkscape and/or Blender projects it is easy to see that they are definitely effective tools capable of creating killer work when in the hands of a capable user.

kabuki

Post by kabuki » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:56 am

If I went to some expensive school, and some prof wanted to make a statement by teaching us useless software, I would want a refund.
15" PB 2.5 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM, 750 GB HD, Live 9 still no cue points or program change messages?!?. Doesn't do shit.

Mesmer

Post by Mesmer » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:56 am

yes, yes smu you're right i know,
but I was stressing The Skills, not The Tool.
The Tool you can pick up with G with no problem... this is your "translation" thing.

plus, if you're anywhere near around hollywood, seems your GIMP resume might actually get you top coin.

regards
http://www.mesmero.net
---
---
Hidden Driveways wrote:This doesn't answer your question at all, but I said it anyway simply for the joy of making a post.