Live's resampling quality aka Sample Rate Conversion

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Timur

Post by Timur » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:49 am

8O :lol: :arrow:

substance_g

Post by substance_g » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:19 pm

MBP-Live7-Oxygen8-Ultralite-UC33e-WaldorfPulse

Dennis DeSantis

Post by Dennis DeSantis » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:29 pm

Hi guys,

Please note that there is a section on Live's sample rate conversion in the Audio Fact Sheet. In this section, we explicitly recommend that you do sample rate conversion as an offline process, in an editor that is specifically optimized for these types of tasks.

That's the official answer.

Unofficially, I would suggest that you listen carefully to the kinds of results that your tools give you. If you hear things that you don't like, you should first try to identify whether or not you've made a mistake. If you haven't, and your tools really are to blame, you should probably use different tools.

If you hear things that you do like, then your tools and working methods are fine. If you then go and try to figure out ways to not like what you're hearing, you're probably not making the best use of your creative energy.

My 2 cents,

Timur

Post by Timur » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:06 pm

Thanks Dennis, I'm fine with that. I will use external SRC for critical resampling now and when using Live's SRC I will mostly stick to Hi-Q unless I seek the special effect/character of the default one, which I find to be so astonishingly lacking that I wonder why it's still made the default.