All Art and Music Is Self-Indulgent Vanity

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dn83

Post by dn83 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:58 am

stonee wrote:
dn83 wrote:How should I respond to this mentality? It does raise a good point, but seems really negative...

I agree, its sort of a harsh way of putting it, but its true.

people make music or art either because they cant find what they want, and they want just that right thing for just them,

or, they make music to show off, and feel accepted into the world on some level.

EVERYTHING we do is for self gratification in the end, otherwise, we wouldn't do it.
True, true...thanks for the input. Maybe I'm being too philosophical haha...

adventurepants_

Post by adventurepants_ » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:03 am

art is worthwhile for its own sake.

talking about art while stroking your beard is the height of self indulgent vanity!

dn83

Post by dn83 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:10 am

adventurepants_ wrote:

talking about art while stroking your beard is the height of self indulgent vanity!
Yes but I need a reason to feel OK to create and not feel guilty that people are starving, while I'm finger painting and strumming my Ukulele, you know? Not to be sarcastic, just making a point...
Last edited by dn83 on Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

gjm

Post by gjm » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:12 am

If you are the vehicle, then let the muse speak. It's not your place to judge.
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

OvertoneZero

Post by OvertoneZero » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:13 am

The world is fucked, you can't save it, nor it you.

Don't worry about it.. just do your own thing and call it self-indulgent vanity if it pleases you, and if it doesn't, tell the armchair analysts to eat your ass.
stonee wrote:
EVERYTHING we do is for self gratification in the end, otherwise, we wouldn't do it.

OvertoneZero

Post by OvertoneZero » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:14 am

dn83 wrote:
Yes but I need a reason to feel OK to create and not feel guilty that people are starving or worse, while I'm finger painting or strumming my Ukulele, you know?

Why? If you feel that guilty, then go help people in a more direct way.

TITBAG

Post by TITBAG » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:17 am

DRINK HENNESSY

OvertoneZero

Post by OvertoneZero » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:17 am

That works too

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:19 am

dcease wrote:
dn83 wrote:Negative as in depressing. Like, creating art brings joy to a lot of people. For someone like this to be told something to the effect of 'creating art is a waste of time', is discouraging.

Someone recently said something similar to me, so I wanted to get others' opinions on the matter.
does it make you happy? yes? fuck 'em then.
+1 I have ZERO ambition to make a dime from my music, it makes me happy.

I saw a signature once that read "do you dance to the sound of your washing machine?" I have.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

dn83

Post by dn83 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:20 am

gjm wrote:If you are the vehicle, then let the muse speak. It's not your place to judge.
Good point.

dn83

Post by dn83 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:20 am

OvertoneZero wrote:The world is fucked, you can't save it, nor it you.

Don't worry about it.. just do your own thing and call it self-indulgent vanity if it pleases you, and if it doesn't, tell the armchair analysts to eat your ass.
stonee wrote:
True haha!

dn83

Post by dn83 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:23 am

TITBAG wrote:DRINK HENNESSY
HAHAHA another good point.

Maybe I should lighten up.

dn83

Post by dn83 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:24 am

Tone Deft wrote:
dcease wrote:
dn83 wrote:Negative as in depressing. Like, creating art brings joy to a lot of people. For someone like this to be told something to the effect of 'creating art is a waste of time', is discouraging.

Someone recently said something similar to me, so I wanted to get others' opinions on the matter.
does it make you happy? yes? fuck 'em then.
+1 I have ZERO ambition to make a dime from my music, it makes me happy.

I saw a signature once that read "do you dance to the sound of your washing machine?" I have.

=)

dcease

Post by dcease » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:38 am

Tone Deft wrote:I saw a signature once that read "do you dance to the sound of your washing machine?" I have.
i freestyle to all sorts of stuff, and i try to match tones with various sounds, i don't really dance, but i tap my foot and bob my head to all sorts of stuff. and if i hear techno, i thrust my hips. a la beavis and butthead :lol:

don't even get me started on the songs i sing all day, about all kinds of stuff, i figure if i do anything musically related, such as listening to music, talking about music, writing music, writing a few lines of lyrics, or just practice my scales and such, or freestyle for a bit, i have been productive. so i am really productive everyday! i just don't open live everyday... and have recently accepted this does not make me lazy :lol: like gjm said... the muse... i just try and let it flow, you know?!

op, i go thru the same shit, who knows, maybe one day your "worthless" art will propel someone to achieve great things. you have done your part 8) we are all just clicks of the clock, after all. we are what we are. be you, you know what is right for you.

"a man cannot avoid what he is meant to do, even if he really does not want to do it..." just go with the flow... what is, will be.

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:40 am

system of a down should have topped themselves after the first album...

same with every other established musician, actually
spreader of butter