MacBookPro - I think I was sold a REFURB!!!

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
leonardrock

MacBookPro - I think I was sold a REFURB!!!

Post by leonardrock » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:14 am

Fellow Forumites, I'd like your input on what I believe to be a possible scam:

I have had a serious problem with my MBP and the FW/USB ports which, to make a long story short, has caused 4 of my external hard drives (2 Maxtors and 2 WD's) to be rendered unusable. One of the drives was brand new so I am ruling out user error. I brought the MBP to my local Apple Store where they sent it out to be repaired. Although I can't recall exactly the process of the repair it involved replacing the "logic board" and replacing both I/O panels on each side of the laptop. Perhaps I'm missing something but let's just call it a serious overhaul for a laptop that is still under its initial 1-year warranty.

I got the MBP back, wiped the system drive and reinstalled OS X (to eliminate any issues from software) and the problems reoccurred immediately.

Here's where it gets sketchy.....I bought this machine "new" from the above Apple Store this past July and until a few days ago thought this was freshly unwrapped from the Apple factory. However, upon an initial phone call to Apple Care, in which I provided my model's serial number, the associate said that it was not registered under my name for some reason and registered under another person's name.....

WHAT?!?!?

Upon bringing the MBP to my local store to setup a repair I asked the Genius why my machine was registered under another person's name when I purchased what I was told was a brand new unit for full price. He did not provide a definitive answer however he did say that if my machine was indeed a refurb, the serial number would be re-coded with an "R" at the beginning. Mine did not and therefore "was not a refurb".

Personally, I feel this is absurd. Unless Apple is NAMING their MBP's upon birth in the factory, how could a BRAND NEW product have any association whatsoever to another person unless it was opened, registered, and then returned?

My questions to all of you:

1. What do you make of this?
2. After an extensive repair and complete reinstall of OS X already, can I assume this MBP is a lemon?
3. Should I actively pursue a full replacement since I am still within warranty?
15" MBP 2.5 gHz, 4 GB, OSX 10.5.6, M-Audio FW-410, Axiom 49, Trigger Finger, Line6 POD XT, Live 7, PTMP 8

Sales Dude McBoob

Re: MacBookPro - I think I was sold a REFURB!!!

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:59 am

leonardrock wrote:...this was freshly unwrapped from the Apple factory.

...if my machine was indeed a refurb, the serial number would be re-coded with an "R" at the beginning. Mine did not and therefore "was not a refurb".

2. After an extensive repair and complete reinstall of OS X already, can I assume this MBP is a lemon?
3. Should I actively pursue a full replacement since I am still within warranty?
2> Yes

3> Yes

morerecords

Post by morerecords » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:03 am

Apple has gone WAAAYYY downhill in the ethics category since the dawn of the iPod. They truly suck, I don't have time to type my whole stroy, but GD, necxt time I get a computer, it's going to be a PC.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:08 am

I never had any problems with their ethics. Of course your experience may have been different but they certainly aren't all evil is what I'm saying.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

kaffein

Post by kaffein » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:31 am

Refurbs are typically in better shape than the new ones.
Though you should have been charged less.

leonardrock

Post by leonardrock » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:37 am

Ha! I'll be doubly screwed because even if I get a replacement it's probably going to ship with Leopard.....
15" MBP 2.5 gHz, 4 GB, OSX 10.5.6, M-Audio FW-410, Axiom 49, Trigger Finger, Line6 POD XT, Live 7, PTMP 8

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:44 am

Dude, just have Apple replace the damn computer over and over until they get fed up and send you a brand new one. They will eventually, as long as Apple Care is active. You did get the 3 year extension, right?

Also, how is a refurb any worse than a computer you sent in to be repaired? When you send your computer in, they replace broken parts with NEW PARTS, test it, and send it back. A refurb has broken parts replaced, is tested, and then sold. They are functionally identical. The only difference is that Apple can't legally sell refurbed computers as "New" because they are not. And with new parts inside, technically a refurb is "newer" than your machine would be otherwise.

leonardrock

Post by leonardrock » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:23 am

the_planet wrote:
Also, how is a refurb any worse than a computer you sent in to be repaired? When you send your computer in, they replace broken parts with NEW PARTS, test it, and send it back. A refurb has broken parts replaced, is tested, and then sold. They are functionally identical. The only difference is that Apple can't legally sell refurbed computers as "New" because they are not. And with new parts inside, technically a refurb is "newer" than your machine would be otherwise.

Simply, I did not choose to purchase a refurb, I chose to purchase new product and paid the full price to do so. I understand the repair/refurb process and, if they remedied the problem, would be willing to accept the situation seeing as though my only interest is that my machine functions properly.

Currently, with the new parts, it does not. So, I'm left questioning the overall build quality of this thing. Some refurbs may turn out better, some refurbs may turn out worse but all of them have a history. IMO, you can't polish a turd and thus I would have avoided the purchase altogether if I had been informed.

I still need to confirm the details with Apple and although I would be a little pissed, in the end, I just want to get back to work.

Thanks though for the replies...

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:24 am

First up, don't go back to the store, deal with apple through the support phone number.
Make sure you get a job number, and make sure that every time you call you have the problem logged under that same number.
Do yo have a receipt from when you first bought the lap top?
How did you buy it?
did you buy it from an apple store IN PERSON, over the phone through the ON LINE apple store or from an authorized apple reseller?
Make sure the receipt says that the lap top was bought new and not bought as a referb.

If all of these ducks are in line call the support number and explain your story, if the person you initially talk to is unable to help ask ask for your job/support number and to be put through to a customer relations representative. At this point you will probably need to repeat our story again, tell them that you are very disappointed in how things are working out and that you would like to swap your faulty lap top for a new one. They will probably then call you back and should organize for you to get a like for like swap.

I just went through this process a month or so back as my original MBP was a total lemon, by the time they conceded to swap it out about all that was original was the hard drive 8O .
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

leonardrock

Post by leonardrock » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:40 am

Homebelly....

Thanks. Yup, bought in person at an Apple Store, I have all the paperwork as well as the current work order. In addition, I've drawn up a document that explains each of the situations I encountered and the variations in my means of troubleshooting them.

How long did you have to pursue your problem? You said a month ago but was that from start to finish? I've been out of action for about 2 weeks now and it really sucks. If I'm looking at a month or two.....holy crap.

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:22 am

once they okay the swap it takes about a week.
My only regret is that i didn't hang on to the mag safe power supply from the first MBP. I use my MBP for work as well as play so i spend a lot of time carrying it around.
It would have been cool to be able to keep the first power supply to keep at work, those things weigh almost as much as the computer,,,
Good luck with this.
I can't imagine it won't work out for you. 8)
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.

leonardrock

Post by leonardrock » Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:49 am

HB-
Did you swap it from home or from the Apple Store? Shipping costs if from home? That's a good point about the power adapter, I'll try to hang on to mine.....

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:11 am

I did it through the apple store.
I'm in NZ and the apple store is in Australia so i had to use a courier, but apple took care of all of that stuff, i just had to sign the pickup and delivery note.

TITBAG

Post by TITBAG » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:11 pm

genius bar lol useless faggots

Atomikat

Post by Atomikat » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:08 pm

Strange...I've bought lots of items from Apple since 2001, never had a problem, even my Macbook Pro is a refurb and it works better than all those new ones (Tiger on it) oh...it doesn't have an R at the beginning of the serial, long time ago I got an ipod (10Gb) through ebay...it came broken...they gave me a new one (twice) with no questions asked... :wink: and the Geniuses...they're all very helpful. OT..I don't know where you live in but...here...Apple has worked great for me...by the way...I don't work for them (and I don't want to... 8O )
It just works... :D