thinkpad power settings vs. battery powered audio

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
djastroboy

thinkpad power settings vs. battery powered audio

Post by djastroboy » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:35 pm

I have a new thinkpad that works great on AC, but won't play audio smoothly on battery.
The sound is realllllly bad. The glitches are so bad that there's more silence than sound.
As soon as I plug it in, it comes to life and works great.

I've gone over all the power settings to make sure nothing is being powered down or limited and that the CPU runs full tilt all the time regardless, but no joy so far, I can't use Ableton on battery power.

I tried a program called "SpeedSwitchXP" that was supposed to get the CPU to not drop it's clock rate, but that didn't help either.

What's the secret incantation to get me working?

I've got a X61 running XP home (totally optimized to the point of no networking ever) & I want it to work on ASIO4ALL 2.8 on the internal audio.

rikhyray

Re: thinkpad power settings vs. battery powered audio

Post by rikhyray » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:20 pm

djastroboy wrote:I have a new thinkpad that works great on AC, but won't play audio smoothly on battery.
The sound is realllllly bad. The glitches are so bad that there's more silence than sound.
As soon as I plug it in, it comes to life and works great.

I've gone over all the power settings to make sure nothing is being powered down or limited and that the CPU runs full tilt all the time regardless, but no joy so far, I can't use Ableton on battery power.

I tried a program called "SpeedSwitchXP" that was supposed to get the CPU to not drop it's clock rate, but that didn't help either.

What's the secret incantation to get me working?

I've got a X61 running XP home (totally optimized to the point of no networking ever) & I want it to work on ASIO4ALL 2.8 on the internal audio.
NHC
The IBM utilities are good but for biz, corporate users. You could get rid of most of it except for backup/Recovery-which is better then anything else including acronis,I kept also Presentation driector, useful for me since I do live visuals, kept the security manager and HD protection too.
get rid of IBM power management and download this one.
http://www.pbus-167.com/
IBM dealer gave me this tip, it is really good not just for Thinkpad but any pc. Very quick for changing power setting plus I like all the other visible info. That should work as your requested secret incantation

djastroboy

Re: thinkpad power settings vs. battery powered audio

Post by djastroboy » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:21 pm

rikhyray wrote: That should work as your requested secret incantation
Great program thanks.
Unfortunately, I misdiagnosed the problem, it was really the ASIO4ALL settings.
I had to check the "Use hardware buffer" box.
Now I can get smooth playback.
BUT, there's a fixed latency that doesn't go away even with 64 samples.
Not perfect.
It's almost as though the normal latency setting doesn't have any effect.

Off for more trial and error...or maybe I'll have to break down and read the ASIO4ALL instructions...