Controlling Live with a USB Footwitch

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Buleriachk

Controlling Live with a USB Footwitch

Post by Buleriachk » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:06 pm

Has anyone tried to control start/stop of ableton live using a USB footswitch (e.g., those used for trancription programs - there are numerous types available)?

mikemc

Re: Controlling Live with a USB Footwitch

Post by mikemc » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:20 pm

Buleriachk wrote:Has anyone tried to control start/stop of ableton live using a USB footswitch (e.g., those used for trancription programs - there are numerous types available)?
If the switch comes with software that allows you to map the button(s) to keystrokes, then it should be no problem.
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:32 pm

The problem is that there are two controls (one for stop and one for stop).

I want to use the same footswitch (press once for start, press again for stop), just to use Live for backing tracks for my guitar....

Has anyone tried one of these for Live?

http://www.kinesis-ergo.com/fs-savant-elite.htm

http://www.delcom-eng.com/DelcomCD/Foot ... Delcom.htm

If I can program it to emulate the space bar, it will provide the function I want (via the Keyboard map)
Last edited by Buleriachk on Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bgc

Post by bgc » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:12 pm

Depending on what the foot switch outputs(a keystroke of some kind? an Ascii character?), you could use something like Pure Data to render that into the MIDI command of your choice, route it through some intermediary such as Midi Yoke, and map something in Live to it. Depending on your setup you would need to adjust some things accordingly.

For instance, based on a tutorial on the Cycling '74 site, I have a USB number pad(like something you'd buy to extend the functionality of your laptop keyboard) that outputs regular Ascii characters. By hooking this up to the laptop and using built in objects in Pure Data I can take Ascii input and turn it into MIDI and send to Live. I have momentary switches hooked up to the key pad instead of the regular buttons. These can be mounted inside a box to make a usable footswitch.

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:45 pm

I cannot BELIEVE it is so difficult to simply start/stop Live with a simple footswitch (like every drum machine can do). I'm a guitarist, and all I want to do is play patterns using Live with a Laptop.

One solution would be Frontier Design's AphaTrack, except their footswith function is hardwired to Record, for chrissakes. And I don't want to carry around a bulky FCB1010, with all its problems.

Oh well, I've ordered a transcriber's footswitch to see if that will work.

But start/stop with a footswitch is such a No-Brainer. Why all the damn hoops? I/'m not even asking for A/B pattern fills. JUST SIMPLE START/STOP function with a footswitch......

sheesh!

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:09 pm

Buleriachk wrote:I cannot BELIEVE it is so difficult to simply start/stop Live with a simple footswitch (like every drum machine can do). I'm a guitarist, and all I want to do is play patterns using Live with a Laptop.

One solution would be Frontier Design's AphaTrack, except their footswith function is hardwired to Record, for chrissakes. And I don't want to carry around a bulky FCB1010, with all its problems.

But start/stop with a footswitch is such a No-Brainer. Why all the damn hoops? I/'m not even asking for A/B pattern fills. JUST SIMPLE START/STOP function with a footswitch......
:) :) look, kid, you're not just a guitarist anymore-- you're using Live now, and what you thought and were before doesn't amount to a hill o' beans in this crazy mixed-up world.... :) :)

There are several types of software that will convert keyboard or mouseclicks to MIDI notes., or several types of software that will convert button clicks to kestrokes. Once you get your computer recognizing the device, re-post.

[added] and, again, if it comes with software that maps to keystrokes, you can use the Live "KEY" map button to assing the keystrokes to controls. It may be that just spacebar will do it, or you may prefer to start/stop all clips using whatever keystroke (this lets you quantize your 'rests').

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:20 pm

Actually, uh, I'm 67, and have been playing guitar for 48 years, and am cranky, besides that....:-) Not only that, I've been using drum machines ever since they first came out (and even before, converting some of the old boom-chicky stuff).

And I bought an RC-50 which works just fine for playing loop sequences that I've created in Ableton (I took loops of everything - including the Turk/Arabic card from the Korg PA-80, and also converted them to 3/4 by lopping off the last beat...:-)

It is just that the RC-50 is too bulky to fit on my motorcycle, and I'd like to do carry my processor(s) - Guitar Rig 3 and Live in my small-but-powerful laptop in my Guitar backpack, and my Amp (DA5) on my rack, with my footswitch in my pocket.

I just can't see why start/stop with a footswitch shouldn't be EASY. (I guess the next suggestion would be to put the laptop on the floor, take off my boot, and press the spacebar with my big toe......:-)

Sheesh....:-)
mikemc wrote:
Buleriachk wrote:I cannot BELIEVE it is so difficult to simply start/stop Live with a simple footswitch (like every drum machine can do). I'm a guitarist, and all I want to do is play patterns using Live with a Laptop.

:) :) look, kid, you're not just a guitarist anymore-- you're using Live now, and what you thought and were before doesn't amount to a hill o' beans in this crazy mixed-up world.... :) :)

There are several types of software that will convert keyboard or mouseclicks to MIDI notes., or several types of software that will convert button clicks to kestrokes. Once you get your computer recognizing the device, re-post.

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:33 pm

Buleriachk wrote:Actually, uh, I'm 67, and have been playing guitar for 48 years, and am cranky, besides that....:-) Not only that, I've been using drum machines ever since they first came out (and even before, converting some of the old boom-chicky stuff).

And I bought an RC-50 which works just fine for playing loop sequences that I've created in Ableton (I took loops of everything - including the Turk/Arabic card from the Korg PA-80, and also converted them to 3/4 by lopping off the last beat...:-)

It is just that the RC-50 is too bulky to fit on my motorcycle, and I'd like to do carry my processor(s) - Guitar Rig 3 and Live in my small-but-powerful laptop in my Guitar backpack, and my Amp (DA5) on my rack, with my footswitch in my pocket.

I just can't see why start/stop with a footswitch shouldn't be EASY. (I guess the next suggestion would be to put the laptop on the floor, take off my boot, and press the spacebar with my big toe......:-)

:) it IS easy. Here's what you do. You start up Live, open a blank set.

Then, you click the "KEY" button in the upper right. The screen changes color, controls are highlighted. Then, mouseclick on the button with the mouse that you want to 'push'. Then, press your footswitch. At that point, whatever keystroke you have set up your footswitch to produce will 'click' the Live interface control you want to turn off/on.

Then, save the blank set as your template. Henceforth, by default, all your live sets will recognize the footswitch as you have set it.

There *are* several choices of which thing to press to get it to start-- you can launch a scene, launch an individual clip, etc.

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:43 pm

Yeah, but I want to press the spacebar. The footswitch will either let me start OR stop, but not toggle (I would need two footswitches)....

Enlighten me.....

Chuck
mikemc wrote:
Buleriachk wrote:Actually, uh, I'm 67, and have been playing guitar for 48 years, and am cranky, besides that....:-) Not only that, I've been using drum machines ever since they first came out (and even before, converting some of the old boom-chicky stuff).

:) it IS easy. Here's what you do. You start up Live, open a blank set.

Then, you click the "KEY" button in the upper right. The screen changes color, controls are highlighted. Then, mouseclick on the button with the mouse that you want to 'push'. Then, press your footswitch. At that point, whatever keystroke you have set up your footswitch to produce will 'click' the Live interface control you want to turn off/on.

Then, save the blank set as your template. Henceforth, by default, all your live sets will recognize the footswitch as you have set it.

There *are* several choices of which thing to press to get it to start-- you can launch a scene, launch an individual clip, etc.

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:53 pm

Buleriachk wrote:Yeah, but I want to press the spacebar. The footswitch will either let me start OR stop, but not toggle (I would need two footswitches)....

Enlighten me.....

Chuck
Describe how it is you want to play-- for example, do you plan on loading a set for each piece, starting it, then stopping it, or loading a clip or 'row' of clips, and then stopping and starting those?

[edit] look at the 'midi and key remote control' section in the manual (not sure which version you have). Remember, when you are using keyboard commands that the window you want to control needs to have the 'focus'.

[another edit] so if all you want to do is to press the spacebar, then all you need to do is set up your footswitch with the included software to send a "space", and make sure that Live is the application with the focus.

Marx

Post by Marx » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:49 pm

http://www.xlr8r.com/tv/42

Takes you through it. He has part 2 and three too. Check it out.

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:13 pm

That's what I'm hoping; that the transcriber's footswitch I ordered will allow me to access the space command when Live has the focus. In my original post I was wondering whether anyoned had done this.

Nevertheless, I think the easiest method would be a button representing options for the spacebar in both the MIDI and the Keyboard mapping, so I could use Frontier Design's footwsitch to toggle start/stop. Or punch in/out, etc....

Well, I'll report back on the footswitch when it comes in......

smutek

Post by smutek » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:11 am

Have you ever thought about getting one of these?

http://www.behringer.com/FCB1010/index.cfm?lang=ENG

Behringer FCB 1010, I just bought one from guitar center online, $99 refurb. A lot of people here on the forum use them.

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:22 am

I actually had an FCB1010 fow awhile (thinking to control Guitar Rig 3), but it is way overkill and too bulky and heavy for what I want (a SIMPLE start/stop toggle).

I did get start/stop toggle to work by using the Bome MIDI translator and the left pedal of my FS-6. Trouble is, BOME license is $50 and needs a switch to midi converter (I used my RC-50). There is a converter available for around $60 as I remember, so that is over $100 for an awkward solution.

I would like to use Frontier Design's Alphatrack, but you can only set the switch to EITHER play OR record, but NOT toggle. Of course I could get an MPD32 and use two switches (or use one and get BOME), but I can't understand why Ableton can't make the SpaceBar available via the Keyboard interface....

smutek wrote:Have you ever thought about getting one of these?

http://www.behringer.com/FCB1010/index.cfm?lang=ENG

Behringer FCB 1010, I just bought one from guitar center online, $99 refurb. A lot of people here on the forum use them.

adventurepants_

Post by adventurepants_ » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:28 am

get an old usb keyboard, pull all the keys off it. glue something on the spacebar that raises the height a bit. plug into computer, put on floor.

tread on it. job done.