dub only page!!!!

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:59 am

i bet he would if he was our age now. I think he'd be an electronic god and he'd kick aphex's ass

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Fri May 02, 2008 4:48 am

Just saw Grimy Styles live recently....killer! They are a live band that dubs it waaaay out....insanely good bass, the drummer is a freaking machine, keyboard player does a mean skank in one hand with the melodica on the other (nice!), and the guitar player keeps it just right in the mix. I remember one song seemed to go from punk to dub to bluegrass to drum-n-bass and back to dub, all smooth as butter with studio level playing. Awesome!

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Fri May 02, 2008 7:10 am

ethios4 wrote:Just saw Grimy Styles live recently....killer! They are a live band that dubs it waaaay out....insanely good bass, the drummer is a freaking machine, keyboard player does a mean skank in one hand with the melodica on the other (nice!), and the guitar player keeps it just right in the mix. I remember one song seemed to go from punk to dub to bluegrass to drum-n-bass and back to dub, all smooth as butter with studio level playing. Awesome!
Awesome band, man. thanks for the linkage. Loved that youtube vid on there.

evon

Post by evon » Fri May 02, 2008 1:37 pm

Great Post :P Never thought I'd see the day. (realy, that line should be:"I knew the day would come")

I remember back in the '60's dancing/floating to the music of King Tubbys one night in a dance at Four Roads in Barbican and thought to myself, contrary to what the status quo would have us think, that: surley this music is bigger than Yard.

Just like how I felt then, I am figuring now that so many others were thinking the same thing, and that concentration of thoughts, may have also contributed to where Dub is now, and this post also attests to that. I recall also that in those days we used to check out the various "sets" to see which "sound system" would be the first to play a Dub of popular tunes of the time. There was this tune called "Fredom Blues" sung by Roy Richards (mouth Organ Player), yes sung by him. The first sound to play that dub was a sound from Above Rocks called "Sting Ray"

I think I should stop now though, but once again...Gret Post.
fe real!

p8guitar

Post by p8guitar » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:14 pm

NI's new fx soundpack for kore 2 (deep transformations) features very good dub effects. Very cool and very usable.
For instance try "tuvalu blues", you'll get addicted to that immediately... 8)
Live 9.0.6; Push; Mac OS 10.8.5; MacBook Pro 2.4GHz/8GB Intel Core i7

kramer

Post by kramer » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:36 pm

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:15 pm

dub

duluxdog

Post by duluxdog » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:54 pm

Shit the bed. FUCK DUB. FUCK. DUB.

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:36 pm

i dont know much about dubstep, and to be honest i always found it a little boring. I always thought it was kind of trainspotter music. Whenever someone mentioned a dubstep party I just envisioned a bunch of stoned people bobbing their heads.

however, i went to my first dubstep show last night and it wasnt half bad. Was cool to see most people dancing to it. i also think the guy was careful about what he selected. A lot of syncopated, more energetic stuff as opposed to the slow, boring stuff that i'd heard before.

last night might have just turned me on to it... any recommendations?

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:17 pm

dubstep.fm on itunes to get you started on the sounds. Then go ask djshiva :)
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

FORMAT

Post by FORMAT » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:57 am

jackmazzotti wrote:do you know about this new flick?

i can't wait to see it!

http://www.dubechoes.com/
Looking forward to seeing it on dVD too!

Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:19 am

aqua_tek wrote:i dont know much about dubstep, and to be honest i always found it a little boring. I always thought it was kind of trainspotter music. Whenever someone mentioned a dubstep party I just envisioned a bunch of stoned people bobbing their heads.

however, i went to my first dubstep show last night and it wasnt half bad. Was cool to see most people dancing to it. i also think the guy was careful about what he selected. A lot of syncopated, more energetic stuff as opposed to the slow, boring stuff that i'd heard before.

last night might have just turned me on to it... any recommendations?
Burial always turns people. Maybe not your thing (quite hard & dirty) but the only ones holding my attention dubstep-wise are Vex'd & Milanese

Goran@Irrupt

Post by Goran@Irrupt » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:29 am

Meef Chaloin wrote: Burial always turns people. Maybe not your thing (quite hard & dirty) but the only ones holding my attention dubstep-wise are Vex'd & Milanese
hey meef, not really the best recommendations - vex'd and milanese are cool, but they make grime more then dubstep (harder sound) and burial is the best, but so unique he's almost alone in the game. ;)

to the people on this board who like minimal techno (doesen't we all?), there's a whole new group of people making techno-ish dubstep. i'd say it's a new trend and you all might like this sound. there's some really amazing stuff there. check out 2562/a made up sound, martyn, ramadanman, peverlist, must check french label 7even... all dope music.
and when you have time, check some of my tunes... :D

w :!:
http://www.irrupt.com ? Irrupt Studios / A&R

Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:11 am

yeah those ones you recommend are probably a lot better, and you're probably right about Milanese & Vex'd....I really got in to dubstep but now im a bit bored with it & that's why I find M & V so interesting, they seem to be the only ones doing anything individual or original. Whatever style they are they're both not to everyone's taste though.

definitely agree on Martyn/Ramadaman

ps. i'll check yours when im next at home

Deadbeat

Post by Deadbeat » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:44 am

here's my 2 or 3 cents on the subject... and a covert yet still shameless plug for the new album :wink:

www.myspace.com/deadbeatcomputermusic