dub only page!!!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Goran@Irrupt

Post by Goran@Irrupt » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:40 am

Deadbeat wrote:here's my 2 or 3 cents on the subject... and a covert yet still shameless plug for the new album :wink:

www.myspace.com/deadbeatcomputermusic
D is the man! check him out at Dis-patch festival in Belgrade this autumn. ;)

w :!:
http://www.irrupt.com ? Irrupt Studios / A&R

Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:06 pm

Deadbeat wrote:here's my 2 or 3 cents on the subject... and a covert yet still shameless plug for the new album :wink:

www.myspace.com/deadbeatcomputermusic
you're the real Deadbeat?!
wow....big big big respect if you are

Deadbeat

Post by Deadbeat » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:03 pm

yes looking very much forward to Belgrade :D

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:37 pm

evon wrote:Great Post :P Never thought I'd see the day. (realy, that line should be:"I knew the day would come")

I remember back in the '60's dancing/floating to the music of King Tubbys one night in a dance at Four Roads in Barbican and thought to myself, contrary to what the status quo would have us think, that: surley this music is bigger than Yard.

Just like how I felt then, I am figuring now that so many others were thinking the same thing, and that concentration of thoughts, may have also contributed to where Dub is now, and this post also attests to that. I recall also that in those days we used to check out the various "sets" to see which "sound system" would be the first to play a Dub of popular tunes of the time. There was this tune called "Fredom Blues" sung by Roy Richards (mouth Organ Player), yes sung by him. The first sound to play that dub was a sound from Above Rocks called "Sting Ray"

I think I should stop now though, but once again...Gret Post.
Roots. Now here's a man who probably knows about Roy Shirley, Alton Ellis, & Ken Boothe!

I had a friend who traveled to Jamaica numerous times. Man had about 1000 45's when I last saw him. While in Jamaica, he met up with the owner of Dukey's Disco sound system, & got permission to use that name for his own reggae DJ nights in San Francisco.

I joined him as a DJ, & we played vintage reggae, rocksteady, ska, rockers, & dub from the 60's & 70's. I'll never forget listening to huge bass lines & sweet sweet harmonies, drinking pints of ice cold I.P.A., & watching the dancers masshed together in that hot packed club. Cheers & people singing all night long!

To this day, this is still the music I listen to the most.

Soma

Post by Soma » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:52 pm

bookmarked

panners

Post by panners » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:32 am

Soma wrote:bookmarked
Can you do that with the ableton forum?

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:02 am

Hi, just popped by to pimp some new mixes on our Myface, including a yummy one from International Observer, and to re-pimp our Live Workshop video here: http://www.pitchblack.co.nz/Default.asp ... bletonlive
Demo'ing dub mixing inside Live starts at around 37 minutes.
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

evon

Post by evon » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:20 pm

oblique strategies wrote:
evon wrote:Great Post :P Never thought I'd see the day. (realy, that line should be:"I knew the day would come")

I remember back in the '60's dancing/floating to the music of King Tubbys one night in a dance at Four Roads in Barbican and thought to myself, contrary to what the status quo would have us think, that: surley this music is bigger than Yard.

Just like how I felt then, I am figuring now that so many others were thinking the same thing, and that concentration of thoughts, may have also contributed to where Dub is now, and this post also attests to that. I recall also that in those days we used to check out the various "sets" to see which "sound system" would be the first to play a Dub of popular tunes of the time. There was this tune called "Fredom Blues" sung by Roy Richards (mouth Organ Player), yes sung by him. The first sound to play that dub was a sound from Above Rocks called "Sting Ray"

Roots. Now here's a man who probably knows about Roy Shirley, Alton Ellis, & Ken Boothe!
Yes my friend, I know them. Funny you should mention Roy Shirley. He is probably even greater than Bob Marley. Just didn't get the promotion., and he just couldn't get it. It would have been different. I guess that's the way life goes. Therefore, I know I am privillaged to have witnessed someone like Roy Shirley, and to have lived my teen years during his era.

Roy Shirly was a bag of soul. He wasn't good looking by any stretch of the imaination, and I guess he knew it. He performed most of the time with a hood over his head, and cried when he sang. He didn't put much on his lyrics having any meaning, just used any word to match the mood and what he was feeling.

I saw him at many stage shows usually in a caberet format, and i have tried to see his face distinctly and never have. He was a bungle of energy on stage and would go through various contortions in time with his music when he sang. His movements were like a snake all knotted up and moving.
fe real!

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:03 pm

evon wrote:

Yes my friend, I know them. Funny you should mention Roy Shirley. He is probably even greater than Bob Marley. Just didn't get the promotion., and he just couldn't get it. It would have been different. I guess that's the way life goes. Therefore, I know I am privillaged to have witnessed someone like Roy Shirley, and to have lived my teen years during his era.

Roy Shirly was a bag of soul. He wasn't good looking by any stretch of the imaination, and I guess he knew it. He performed most of the time with a hood over his head, and cried when he sang. He didn't put much on his lyrics having any meaning, just used any word to match the mood and what he was feeling.

I saw him at many stage shows usually in a caberet format, and i have tried to see his face distinctly and never have. He was a bungle of energy on stage and would go through various contortions in time with his music when he sang. His movements were like a snake all knotted up and moving.
Thank you so much for telling me this. All I know about Roy is what I hear in his songs. And when I put his songs together with your description it just fits so perfectly.

He has a voice that is so full of emotion, & sometimes so funny & odd. I love when his lyrics just turn into weird sounds. A very original artist. I always think of little children laughing when I hear his voice -I can imagine him leading dancing little children, like the Pied Piper!

You must also be familiar with Hopeton Lewis, Pat Kelly, Larry Marshall, Horace Andy, Cornel Campbell, Freddie McKay, Slim Smith, John Holt, Leo Graham, Junior Byles, & Johnny Clarke. These are some great singers.

Did you ever get to see the harmony groups like The Bleechers (Check Him Out, Ease Up, Come Into My Parlor, You Gonna Feel It), Carlton & The Shoes (Love Me Forever), The Cables (Baby Why, What Kind of World), The Pioneers (Longshot Kick The Bucket, Samfi Man), The Kingstonians (Singer Man), The Starlights (Samfiman, You're A Wanted Man), The Termites (My Last Love), Earth & Stone (In Time To Come), The Wailing Souls (Breddah Gravilicious, You Should Have Known, Stick Together). The list just goes on & on.
I just found this video clip of Roy Shirley being interviewed & performing “Get On The Ball”:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNDXanDd8fg
This moved me to tears :cry:

You are indeed very, very fortunate to have experienced all the great music in the Rocksteady & Reggae eras. I am constantly amazed by the incredible amount of talent in the little island of Jamaica. Thanks again for writing back.

"A world without music, yes that would be a dead world"
Roy Shirley

DaffyDub

I have to add.....

Post by DaffyDub » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:29 pm

Truth and rights by Johnny Osbourne.....

just had to......... it's so beautiful I could cry :cry:
More bass in the hihat
http://www.youtube.com/DAFFYDUBBY

first 124 posts as: Overdub

evon

Post by evon » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:50 pm

evon wrote:
You got it right, well probably not children, (although, come to think of it we were children then) or children alone. When he sang he drew people to him. Seeing him perform for the first time he might come across as comic, but if you stayed for just a few minutes more, you would become totally captivated and enrapt with the sincerity of his emotions. His second, though not similar in character, might be Slim Smith.

However, I know you appreciate the depth of the history of Jamaican music by your remarks. There were so many super stars around then. It was just that their light had not penetrated so far during that time and by the time it did, like a comet they had gone.
fe real!

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:00 am

Thanks again evon. I love Jamaica! :)

Great documentary titled "Roots, Rock, Reggae" filmed in Jamaica in 1977. Check it!

oblique strategies

Re: I have to add.....

Post by oblique strategies » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:10 am

DaffyDub wrote:Truth and rights by Johnny Osbourne.....

just had to......... it's so beautiful I could cry :cry:
Are you listening to the Studio 1 version? I just listened to it. Righteousness! Johnny has some good songs. I like "Come Back Darling" Studio 1 stylee. He put out an album later on titled "Fally Lover" that had some great songs "Man Of Jehoviah" & "Give A Little Love" with some great backing by the Roots Radics band.

DaffyDub

keep 'em coming

Post by DaffyDub » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:50 am

Yes - the Studio One version !!!
And I also have to add "Blood and Fire" by the great "Niney The Observer" Especially in the version that was issued on "Tighten up Vol. 1" "Fisherman" by The Congos Man of the living sung by 13 year old Wayne Wade (in a production by Yabby You)..... I could go on forever..... Ain't this just the greatest topic on this forum EVER????

Jah Rastafari, king of kings, lord of lords, conquering lion of the tribe of Judah

And how could I forget "Bird in hand" sung in beautiful Amharic By his Dubness Lee Scratch Perry

Peace DaffyDub
More bass in the hihat
http://www.youtube.com/DAFFYDUBBY

first 124 posts as: Overdub

ocp

Post by ocp » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:33 pm

MacBook Pro 2.0, 2 GB RAM, Mac OS 10.6.8, Live 7.0.18, etc.

http://ocp.pt.vu
http://doporto.pt.to