I just ripped a track from CD by dragging it into Live!

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
jonny72

Post by jonny72 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:24 am

o0o wrote:
jonny72 wrote:Probably the biggest problem I had when I switched to a Mac was getting used to things working the way you'd expect them to. I was so used to doing things in convoluted ways in Windows that I carried on doing them the same way on my Mac.

I've found plenty of things like this, normally by chance or by watching someone who doesn't know what they're doing - they often just do the most logical thing and it works.

it would be nice if there was a list of such things compiled somewhere.
I'm surprised they don't include a switching from Windows tutorial with Macs, it would make a lot of sense.

A couple of other things which are useful to know, if you don't already:

- When you copy a folder in Finder if it already exists in the destination folder you get a warning, if you continue it replaces the existing folder rather than merging it (which Windows does).

- Click on the text name of an item in Finder and drag it and it will move / copy it. Click to the right of the text name and drag down / up and it allows you to select multiple items. When you select multiple items, to move / copy them make sure you click and drag on the text name of one of the items or it goes back to select. Useful, but it took me ages to figure this out and was real confusing at first.

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:44 am

jonny72 wrote: - Click on the text name of an item in Finder and drag it and it will move / copy it. Click to the right of the text name and drag down / up and it allows you to select multiple items. When you select multiple items, to move / copy them make sure you click and drag on the text name of one of the items or it goes back to select. Useful, but it took me ages to figure this out and was real confusing at first.
Just to clarify, this only works in List View. If you work in Column View like I do it doesn't work. To get the same effect you just Shift-Click on the file or folder at the bottom of the list that you want to select. If you want to pick individual files or folders in the list then you Command-Click on the ones you want and any files in between won't be selected. Those two tips work in List View as well.
Unsound Designer