spilled beer on the mixer!!!!!!

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
ghast

spilled beer on the mixer!!!!!!

Post by ghast » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:42 pm

This is what I get for not finishing beers! I was trying to clean up, and knocked an old half full beer on my mixer, right on the master fader! It's just my utility mixer for my monitoring setup, but now I have fader noise. Will it be ok? Anyone out there ever done this? :cry:

Mesmer

Post by Mesmer » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:38 pm

Just don't turn it on for two weeks.
If you find a nice hot very sunny day take your mixer out for a sunbathe. Extra points for taking off it's enclosure/cover.
Find a woman's hairdryer, set it on low and blow at the master fader for 20 mins.

As you can see you'll be trying to evaporate all the moisture without burning or melting anything important.

If it was sweet sweet beer, perhaps a little bit of RAID insecticide won't hurt either :)

good luck.
http://www.mesmero.net
---
---
Hidden Driveways wrote:This doesn't answer your question at all, but I said it anyway simply for the joy of making a post.

thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:41 pm

I've spilled liquids on electronics before but nothing really valuable (calculators, etc.)

My guess is you will have to start by taking the top cover off and attempting to dry the board out. Consult professionals not just this forum.

Probably my biggest fear about playing out live. Much moreso than stage fright! If someone spilled their drink on my macbook or synth I would probably have to fight them as I wouldn't expect them to actually pay me for it. (Not to mention all that lost data.)

Good luck. Alcohol no doubt, has caused many a similar fuck up. Just last week, some idiot manged to smack the mirror off of my Jetta's drivers side door while it was parked on the street. They had to be drunk because you couldn't simply hit a mirror off someones car on that street otherwise. $300 repair out of my own pocket. No note. Luckily, they managed to avoid hitting my car. Not wishing death on them but you have to be accountable, at least through Karma.

laird

Post by laird » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:47 pm

Mesmer wrote: As you can see you'll be trying to evaporate all the moisture without burning or melting anything important.
You do not want to evaporate all the h20 and etoh, leaving all the hops and gunk in your mixer!!

unlplug the beast. take it to be cleaned soon, or open it up and start diluting the beer spill with some water (got deionized?) and soak it up passively (no rubbing).

Water will evaporate off of gear with no side effects.
(unless you turn it on to hear what the damage is.... next time, DONT DO THAT!! IMMEDIATELY TURN IT OFF AND UNPLUG)

Heat is probably not a good idea, especially if you have goo still inside.
Leaving beer residue will just leave power shorts (bad!) and noise problems, which will only get worse as mold begins to grow.

xrayfish

Post by xrayfish » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:49 pm

I'd be more inclined to wash it in fresh water (with the power off of course) and then let it dry as per above. Water is unlikely to damage it but you sure don't want a load of sticky crap deposited on your fader - have you seen what dried up beer on a table looks like?

If you can't face that then a generous spray of switch cleaner might get rid of the gunge.

BTW was the glass half full or half empty? :)

edit: yeah what laird said (beat me to it!)

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:53 pm

I spilled a beer on an Apple keyboard once. The keyboard was useless afterward.

I dunno man. If it's just a utility mixer, please, exercise extreme caution here.

thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:55 pm

See what I mean... take it to a professional and let them sort it out.

No disrespect to people trying to help but in all fairness, unplug it and put it in someone's hands who has done this before.

Mesmer

Post by Mesmer » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:58 pm

laird wrote:
Mesmer wrote: As you can see you'll be trying to evaporate all the moisture without burning or melting anything important.
You do not want to evaporate all the h20 and etoh, leaving all the hops and gunk in your mixer!!
read: "without burning or melting anything important" part....
laird wrote:Heat is probably not a good idea, especially if you have goo still inside.
I disagree. Deposited solids could short circuit things, but the main danger is definiteley the liquid. Are you handy with a Qtip?

best regards
-h
http://www.mesmero.net
---
---
Hidden Driveways wrote:This doesn't answer your question at all, but I said it anyway simply for the joy of making a post.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:00 pm

I'd take the thing apart and wash it. what's the mixer? I was surprised that once I got the x-fader apart it was easy to clean, just some lint on the contacts, I pulled them off, good as new. which mixer is this?
oddstep wrote:I agree with all of this. I'm just bored of writing "its music, just listen and trust your judgement"

laird

Post by laird » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:06 pm

Mesmer wrote: I disagree. Deposited solids could short circuit things, but the main danger is definiteley the liquid. Are you handy with a Qtip?
i saw that, and I'd agree... except.... how will he know?

Safest bet is to avoid blow Drying the beer in your mixer ... and drying beer by any method with no washing/dilution steps is a bad idea.

Florida should be warm enough that a few days of evaproation will be good enough unless he's in a swamp.... i see no benefit to blow drying the unit. ESPECIALLY if there is beer residue in the unit.

Water poses no threat to your mixer as long as the power is off.

globalgoon

Post by globalgoon » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:17 pm

wash it in soapy water (unplug it first)

arachnaut

Post by arachnaut » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:47 pm

I have had things like this happen to me in the past and I first tried to clean things with denatured alcohol. That never worked.

I switched to filtered water and water with Ivory soap and these attempts worked well.

Your mileage may vary. Make sure things are absolutely dry before you plug it back in.

As to whether the glass was half full or half empty - the correct answer depends on the prior state. Since you were probably drinking the beer, it was half empty; if you were filling it and stopped, it was half full.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:50 pm

the problem is that you want the x-fader surface to be completely free of ANY contaminants, and doing that without physically scrubbing it is rough, especially when you consider that you can't even squirt a stream of fluid directly onto those surfaces.
oddstep wrote:I agree with all of this. I'm just bored of writing "its music, just listen and trust your judgement"

roach808

Post by roach808 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:40 pm

Gainesville, hey i grew up there woohoo. anyho, normally i'm pretty fussy bout drinks near the gear when im at any form of gig where there is drinking near, on, around the stage.
roach- the other white meat
http://www.themenacetosobriety.com/blog/
MBP, Live Suite, and lots of nice analogue gear.

ironwill2000

Post by ironwill2000 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:00 am

What are all you fuckers on crack??? DO NOT PUT WATER ON IT... You only clean the non working parts (i.e. outer surfaces) with water, even soapy water. H2O will cause corrosion on any of the components if it gets inside and the slider contacts especially.

Unplug it, take the cover and knobs off, wash any affected working and electrical parts off with rubbing alcohol only and clean with a Q-Tips until all of the sticky stuff is gone. If you cant get the sticky stuff out of small areas, soak them in an alcohol bath and use toothpicks to get the gunk out.

Set it out in the sun to dry for a day. If there is any moisture outside, set it in a window in sunlight to dry or on the dash of your car.