Ableton: Why have you reversed the drum pads on the SL?...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Make it nromal.

yes please.
100%
I like things that don't make sense.
No votes

Total votes: 2

Winston

Ableton: Why have you reversed the drum pads on the SL?...

Post by Winston » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:01 pm

When using a drum rack. Why the F are the pads reversed so that C1 is sent from the first pad, yet it plays E1 and vice versa?

This makes no sense, people have asked about this before and I'd like an answer.

Please just put it back and make it normal.

I've got a kick on C1, then I want to hit the pad that says C1 and it to play the kick on C1. Simple.

I'd just like to know what you are thinking and why this is the way it is.
Last edited by Winston on Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

willdahbe

Post by willdahbe » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:16 pm

You do know that you can change this yourself in the SL right.

Winston

Post by Winston » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:29 pm

willdahbe wrote:You do know that you can change this yourself in the SL right.
what, you mean change my pads around so that E1-G1 are on the first four and C1-D#1 are on the last four? So that C1 is playing where I want it even though it says it is playing E1? What if I use the pads for more than just drum racks? Then all of a sudden my first pad is playing E1 instead of C1. I want it to chromatic like it should be. Actually the point is that I want the pad to play whatever note it says it is sending. Because that's normal. That's how things should work. I should not have to rearrange to get them to play what they are supposed to play.

Or is there some alteration I don't know about? Like a switch that says "play the note it says its playing in ableton"?

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:45 pm

I´m interested in the SL adjustment, would you be so kind to tell me how to do that?

Winston

Post by Winston » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:05 pm

Grappadura wrote:I´m interested in the SL adjustment, would you be so kind to tell me how to do that?
I'm not sure if this is the method that willdahbe had in mind, but you can press a pad, then hit edit on the SL. Then turn the knob under where it says 'note' on the LCD screen until it's at the note you want.

So if you want the SL pad to play C1, make it E1, and vice versa. If you want a pad to play C#1, make it F1 etc. Maybe I'm missing something but I find this ridiculous.

willdahbe

Post by willdahbe » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:18 pm

Sorry my bad, I misread your question. I thought you just wanted the pads to conicide from left to right and then up. Anyways just flip them around.. who cares about chromatic. It's only 8 pads and horrible to play any synth on.

Winston

Post by Winston » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:25 pm

willdahbe wrote:Sorry my bad, I misread your question. I thought you just wanted the pads to conicide from left to right and then up. Anyways just flip them around.. who cares about chromatic. It's only 8 pads and horrible to play any synth on.
Sure, I can flip them around. Then any time I use battery or kontakt or any other drum program where I want to use the pads, they are laid out backwards from what the program says. I think the simplest thing would be for ableton to just make it normal, don't you?

I mean if they're going to do that, why not just make CC1-CC4 actually control CC5-CC8 and vice versa. That's ok, we'll just remember to flip it around. :roll:

KnowhatI'msayin'?

But perhaps there is a good reason that I'm totally missing. That is a possibility. That's why I'd like someone from ableton to respond and let me know why it's done this way.

willdahbe

Post by willdahbe » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:35 pm

There is a easy work around I just found. Use the scale plugin on your drumrack. You can leave the sl note#'s the same and just rack the scale plugin and drumrack for easy access. I can't take a picture of how I set mine up but it seems to work just fine and dandy.

Winston

Post by Winston » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:38 pm

willdahbe wrote:There is a easy work around I just found. Use the scale plugin on your drumrack. You can leave the sl note#'s the same and just rack the scale plugin and drumrack for easy access. I can't take a picture of how I set mine up but it seems to work just fine and dandy.
You're right, that's a good workaround.

Not that it's a big problem, it's just one of those things that you should not need a workaround for, you know? I shouldn't need a scale plug-in before my drum rack, that's all. but cheers anyways.

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:13 pm

Thx for the info Winston!