OT - Ms Pinky Vs. ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:16 am

what the hell did I get myself into now??

/note to self, stfu!!
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Synthesizer Patel

Post by Synthesizer Patel » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:17 am

dcease wrote:
Synthesizer Patel wrote:
dcease wrote:bet :twisted:
u has nothing i want
the bet was for tone... come on... git 'er dun. i just felt like quoting you...
GIVE KME BUTTERS

dcease

Post by dcease » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:25 am

Nathan Ramella

Post by Nathan Ramella » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:27 am

Tone Deft wrote:great idea, no follow through, he made a huge noise about it, disappeared and the project is still barely making headway. lotsa noise, no substance.
Good luck with your project man, I honestly wish you success. Anybody who can step up and complete a project gets my respect.

I definitely suggest using Ms. Pinky instead of doing it the way I did it, I wanted to learn how vinyl decoding worked from the bottom up but it's absolutely not necessary for success, and doing it with Max will shave a lot of development time off your schedule. I just don't like max, otherwise I would have gone that route too.

Really, by using an existing vinyl control mechanism you can probably remake ammobox in 2 days, so I'd be surprised if you weren't done by Saturday with something that blows ammobox out of the water.

By channeling your anger into a positive result I think everyone will win, you get to be the hero and give your thing out for free and you'll have a sense of accomplishment that eludes people who just complain on forums and never take action.

ROCK IT
remix.net - versus / liveapi / hangthedj / ammobox

dcease

Post by dcease » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:36 am

shut up. he can't do it, he's scared...

pfft... pussy :roll:

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:41 am

again, my apologies Nathan, I get really obnoxious at times, I took a joke too far and got it twisted, no worries, I made a right ass of myself. :D

mad props for doing the freaking time code detection by hand! wtf? I think I could just throw a bunch of msp objects to take apart the incoming signal but man I'd miss making music and probably get something half assed compared to the Ms Pinky stuff, for $100!!

it's your fault I ran out and bought Pinky today, I owe it to you everytime my hands are massaging the pink.

oh yeah, not to mention that YOU'RE the one who gets to present your stuff at Yuri's night, sweet. a builder AND a performer, that's cool. I've never been but I understand it's like a performer's makefaire with NASA scientists like this guy
talking science. dunno if I'll go or not, this new toy will be a lot of fun.

peace bro.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

Nathan Ramella

Post by Nathan Ramella » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:05 am

Tone Deft wrote: mad props for doing the freaking time code detection by hand! wtf?
3 months ago I wanted to learn DSP stuff, I got tired of consuming other people's stuff rather than producing my own.

My philosophy is that if you come up with a good / worthwhile project that you want to see complete, along the way you'll pick up a lot of extra bits here and there that you add to your bag of tricks so that the next project you undertake is that much easier.

And I honestly do wish you success, the more forward thinking projects there are the more imagination gets sparked.

The Internet is a wonderful place, because seriously no matter how good what you have is, someone out there will make it a little bit better if you give them the chance. Beauty is a virus.

I'm definitely looking forward to your (and the other people who're working on similar projects) results.

In the end we should have a youtube scratch battle, I'll be practicing. :D
remix.net - versus / liveapi / hangthedj / ammobox

kramer

Post by kramer » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:02 am

this guy is a huge douchebag but he's doing some stuff with Pinky and Live...
http://youtube.com/user/exogamous

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:50 am

Ohhh Lordy!
what a surprise, it seems the alpha-geek agro has now descended into the murky depths of sheer turd burglary. and in record time!

This one's for you ladies >click<
spreader of butter

Synthesizer Patel

Post by Synthesizer Patel » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:55 am

kramer wrote:this guy is a huge douchebag but he's doing some stuff with Pinky and Live...
http://youtube.com/user/exogamous
no way diud he is a faker

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:55 am

Patel - you GEEEEEK!!!!!! who you be?

I now have two vinyl copies of every wav and mp3 I have and could ever care to make. you read about it and it sounds cool, try it and !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fuck max/msp this is fun.

funny the track would play backwards, I had the pink vinyl channels reversed, couldn't figure it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyKnljfwQp8 <--- DJ Cam FTW
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

Winston

Post by Winston » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:21 pm

Ok, I can't be bothered to read that whole something wonderful happened thread, and it seems like this one is still referencing that one a bit, and I really don't understand what everyone is talking about.

Did he basically scratch live clips? That's cool. And Tone Deft, are you now going to find a way to do the same ting using ms.pinky? Or just discovering how fun pinky alone is to play with as a plug-in? If so, yes I agree.

My pinky setup is to use it with m-audio's x-session controller. Yes, it is a cheap piece of crap, but it's only 100 dollars and makes for a lot of fun. My tip for using it as a scratch mixer: Assign the crossfader to live's crossfader on the pinky track on the curve with the most sudden ramp. But you'll notice that the sound does not kick in for a small section of the fader, unlike good scratch mixers where it kicks in full as soon as it is pushed from the edge. So find the position of the fader when the sound kicks in. Now take a vinyl that you don't mind breaking and break a small section that will fit flat on the mixer beside the fader to stop it from going to the edge and tape it down. The fader will now stop against the vinyl you've taped down and it's a nice fast cut. The x-session pro is great too because you can assign the knobs and buttons to effects for the pinky track and have it right there on the same mixer you're scratching with. It's also cool to assign other tracks (pads etc) to the crossfader. It's not quite as good as scratching with a rane, but pretty damn good anyways.

Tone, if your'e cooking up something 'wonderful' I'd love to hear about it! I take it that other guy isn't sharing yet?

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:03 pm

Winston wrote:Ok, I can't be bothered to read that whole something wonderful happened thread, and it seems like this one is still referencing that one a bit, and I really don't understand what everyone is talking about.

Did he basically scratch live clips? That's cool. And Tone Deft, are you now going to find a way to do the same ting using ms.pinky? Or just discovering how fun pinky alone is to play with as a plug-in? If so, yes I agree.
if you watch the first minute or so you get all the info he's releasing at this point. he made 'something' and is playing it at a festival tomorrow (this looks cool)
http://www.nasa.gov/centers/ames/events ... index.html
yes, that's a nasa link, to a music festival, it's big huge fucking NASA hanger designed to build blimps back in the day. he's being tight lipped until sometime after that. point is, he made it, he's playing out with it. details TBA. I'm curious what he did, he's totally hip to Pinky and others and knows his demo could be done in short time, there's some home rolled tech in there somewhere.
curious.

so that bit of teasing with gear set me off, I did an impulse buy of Ms. Pinky and this is freaking tasty. I've retired one deck for the sake of deskspace (I quit learning to beat juggle when I got Live) but I might clear space for it again, maybe get a CDJ.
My pinky setup is to use it with m-audio's x-session controller. Yes, it is a cheap piece of crap, but it's only 100 dollars and makes for a lot of fun. My tip for using it as a scratch mixer: Assign the crossfader to live's crossfader on the pinky track on the curve with the most sudden ramp. But you'll notice that the sound does not kick in for a small section of the fader, unlike good scratch mixers where it kicks in full as soon as it is pushed from the edge. So find the position of the fader when the sound kicks in. Now take a vinyl that you don't mind breaking and break a small section that will fit flat on the mixer beside the fader to stop it from going to the edge and tape it down. The fader will now stop against the vinyl you've taped down and it's a nice fast cut. The x-session pro is great too because you can assign the knobs and buttons to effects for the pinky track and have it right there on the same mixer you're scratching with. It's also cool to assign other tracks (pads etc) to the crossfader. It's not quite as good as scratching with a rane, but pretty damn good anyways.
nice. I played with the midi settings briefly, nothing happened, I'll revisit it when I get curious.
Tone, if your'e cooking up something 'wonderful' I'd love to hear about it! I take it that other guy isn't sharing yet?
fuck man, the Quicktime scratching you can do with Pinky along with mp3 and wav, what more do I want? I'm about to wire the audio into Live, I've done max->Live with monome, it should go OK (should.)

aaaaanyway, I'll hit up the Pinky patches for max and blow my mind, lotsa happy scratch toy possibilities, thing is, you need Pinky to use them. I'd rather play with Pinky than max, I'll ease max tweaks into it all.

I think what Nathan did was like a sampler (not Sampler) with scratch input from Pinky, midi notes from Live turn slots of the sampler on and off, so over 4 measures you can have the sample(s) being scratched change by making/moving/creating midi notes on the fly.

I care less about getting scratching into Live now. there's the syncing issue with Live and vinyl, but fucking-A (in the voice of a pissed off Spartan) THIS IS VINYL!!!! gotta leave some art to it, right?

if you have a turntable and $100 and don't have Ms Pinky shoot yourself in the head right now, you're too stupid to live.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

Synthesizer Patel

Post by Synthesizer Patel » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:46 pm

Tone Deft wrote:I care less about getting scratching into Live now. there's the syncing issue with Live and vinyl, but fucking-A (in the voice of a pissed off Spartan) THIS IS VINYL!!!! gotta leave some art to it, right?

if you have a turntable and $100 and don't have Ms Pinky shoot yourself in the head right now, you're too stupid to live.
YOU COST ME 9 STICS BUTTER ASSJACK

I LOSE BET

JSUS

STIK TO HELPING NOOBZ

LEAF AWESUM TO THE PROS!!

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:57 pm

my motherfuckin watch says Friday.

if I win, I get 8 sticks of butter.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz