OT - Ms Pinky Vs. ?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Tone Deft
Posts: 23565
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm
Location: SF, CA

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:01 am

Synthesizer Patel wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:yeah, knew you were just a hater, that's cool, there are still some hot heads
after the drama of late.
i see wat u r typin but all i see is

****** fail **************
you have no cred until you step out from behind the alter-nick.

all you're going to do is say fail, you won't listen. I'm blocking Patel until the
real idiot behind the name wants to step up. grow some balls and post to
me mano a mano little pussy.

and seriously, you're just fanning the flames of this shit with Nathan,
which he doesn't want, neither do I. Nathan and I are cool, you're being a twat.

careful about cutting off your nose despite your face. you can't call me out
for not being cool to Nathan and pull this shit.
oddstep wrote:I agree with all of this. I'm just bored of writing "its music, just listen and trust your judgement"

Synthesizer Patel
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:08 pm

Post by Synthesizer Patel » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:04 am

Tone Deft wrote:
Synthesizer Patel wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:yeah, knew you were just a hater, that's cool, there are still some hot heads
after the drama of late.
i see wat u r typin but all i see is

****** fail **************
you have no cred until you step out from behind the alter-nick.

all you're going to do is say fail, you won't listen. I'm blocking Patel until the
real idiot behind the name wants to step up. grow some balls and post to
me mano a mano little pussy.

and seriously, you're just fanning the flames of this shit with Nathan,
which he doesn't want, neither do I. Nathan and I are cool, you're being a twat.

careful about cutting off your nose despite your face. you can't call me out
for not being cool to Nathan and pull this shit.
i not teh fail u r!

lols

use a rakc!!

lololol

all talks -- no DOES

u shuld be usin frootyloops it vrey smple evans u can rox

yoshitosser
Posts: 135
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:03 am

Post by yoshitosser » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:27 am

I normally hate grammarwhores but

"Cutting off your nose despite your face'

is total WIN. Love it TD.

Winston
Posts: 303
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:35 pm

Post by Winston » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:01 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
best $100 ever spent. on gear.
I can't believe it took you this long. 8O Haven't I ranted about this long enough with all my "Fyck serato, this this costs 100 bucks...".

Anyways, are using it with a midi crossfader to control live's crossfader or routing back out to your mixer. I use to have pinky going to my mixer, but that took 4 ins and 2 outs for one deck. Now with the x-session pro, just 2 ins is fine. And the faders good (with the minor adjustment). Set your sample folder in pinky to your live recordings folder and scratch what you record.

Anyways, welcome to the club. :)

Tone Deft
Posts: 23565
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm
Location: SF, CA

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:02 pm

Winston wrote:I can't believe it took you this long. 8O Haven't I ranted about this long enough with all my "Fyck serato, this this costs 100 bucks...".
dunno man, dunno... I wrote it all off until I could scratch clips, this isn't a bad solution.
Anyways, are using it with a midi crossfader to control live's crossfader or routing back out to your mixer.

I ended up using both the mixer x-fader and the whammy bar on a synth that's right next to the mixer. midi seems to be a better solution when latency's high, there's the audio latency then the latency for the system to sync onto the timecode and get going (I assume that's correct.)
Anyways, welcome to the club. :)
thanks!! I did a great job on my first day insulting their god, great job TD!!! it'll be interesting to see how ammobox turns out, it's definitely much more than the initial video.

edit - Winston - on my mixer if I put both contour knobs all the way clockwise the audio in Pinky cuts but it's just loud enough to keep sending clock. too cool. too cool.

btw I'm thinking aa CDJ is in order, I have a TTX and the SL1200 is on a shelf, I don't DJ and I stopped learning beat juggling when I got Live. BUT a CDJ seems great just to keep as a steady clock source, I'm browsing a lot and replaying the vinyl many many times. any tips on a CDJ? LOL I guess any CD player will do for that. ahhh, to be a n00b.
oddstep wrote:I agree with all of this. I'm just bored of writing "its music, just listen and trust your judgement"

Winston
Posts: 303
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:35 pm

Post by Winston » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:15 am

Tone Deft wrote:
edit - Winston - on my mixer if I put both contour knobs all the way clockwise the audio in Pinky cuts but it's just loud enough to keep sending clock. too cool. too cool.

btw I'm thinking aa CDJ is in order, I have a TTX and the SL1200 is on a shelf, I don't DJ and I stopped learning beat juggling when I got Live. BUT a CDJ seems great just to keep as a steady clock source, I'm browsing a lot and replaying the vinyl many many times. any tips on a CDJ? LOL I guess any CD player will do for that. ahhh, to be a n00b.
Can't say I have any tips for those, I'd never get one, but we probably have different uses for the stuff. I just have ms.pinky to scratch whatever I want in live and save the setup/samples with the song as the pinky plug-in. So you don't have to remember what samples go where from an external source. I don't mix anymore, so I don't need the clock source stuff or anything.

Tone Deft
Posts: 23565
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm
Location: SF, CA

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:35 pm

Winston - is this a 'new' trick?

'crop' all your clips (right click)
then point Ms Pinky to the crop directory.
boom, perfectly cropped sample loops that are in sync with your project. 8)

yeah, I do similar things, a handful of battle records to scratch over and get goofy with. I was learning to beat juggle when I got Live 3, then it was all over and just begun.

have you been able to get the max/msp stuff working? I opened the example projects the other night and nothing would react, haven't really tried to hard, Pinky is a million times more fun than max.
oddstep wrote:I agree with all of this. I'm just bored of writing "its music, just listen and trust your judgement"

Machinate
Posts: 11646
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:15 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Post by Machinate » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:44 pm

Tone Deft wrote:yeah, I do similar things, a handful of battle records to scratch over and get goofy with.
hey, what's with the not-sharing?

Winston
Posts: 303
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:35 pm

Post by Winston » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:57 pm

Tone Deft wrote:Winston - is this a 'new' trick?

'crop' all your clips (right click)
then point Ms Pinky to the crop directory.
boom, perfectly cropped sample loops that are in sync with your project. 8)
Cool trick man, hadn't thought of that.
Tone Deft wrote: have you been able to get the max/msp stuff working?
Do you mean stuff specifically for max/msp owners? 'cause I don't have that. Or do you mean binky toy, maxi-patch and maxi-patchAO? Those all work fine, but I use the pinky pluggo mostly.

piZMo
Posts: 387
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:46 am
Location: London, England.

Post by piZMo » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:06 pm

yoshitosser wrote:I normally hate grammarwhores but

"Cutting off your nose despite your face'

is total WIN. Love it TD.
this is an eggcorn. the correct phrase TD was after is 'cutting off your nose to spite your face' not despite.

http://www.newscientist.com/channel/opi ... corns.html

(not picking holes BTW TD)
Tone Deft wrote:Winston - is this a 'new' trick?

'crop' all your clips (right click)
then point Ms Pinky to the crop directory.
boom, perfectly cropped sample loops that are in sync with your project. 8)
TD is this 'crop all clips' in Live 7? i can't find it, and this is a good idea i'd like to try out.

Tone Deft
Posts: 23565
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm
Location: SF, CA

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:32 pm

crop - ctrl-a to select all your clips, right click on one to see crop in the menu. you should then see your clips to that progress bar thing one at time. the manual says Live adds 50mS to each end of a cropped sample. I didn't notice this because I kept scratching the sample, but it does drop back in the mix rather nicely.


re that saying: I was listening to some Beastie Boys track and a line came up that sounded like 'despite' instead of 'in spite' which got me thinking of how much that phrase can change by swapping one syllable. I was wondering if anyone would notice the change, they most certainly did! :D rap and the 'net ain't nothin but wordplay.
oddstep wrote:I agree with all of this. I'm just bored of writing "its music, just listen and trust your judgement"

Tone Deft
Posts: 23565
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm
Location: SF, CA

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:19 am

for anyone playing along at home, I started n00bing it up over here
http://www.mspinky.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=781

just got some good advice on stream scratching and sending CCs.
oddstep wrote:I agree with all of this. I'm just bored of writing "its music, just listen and trust your judgement"

Tone Deft
Posts: 23565
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm
Location: SF, CA

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:14 am

Pinky forums is dead so I'm ranting here.

Winston - I accidentally recorded the timecode being scratched instead of Pinky's output. but now I have something like a 'scratch envelope' that I can apply to anything in Pinky.

my head's spinning about the usefulness of this. ultimately you have to move the vinyl on the beat, IOW the end of the envelope has to leave off so the scratched section is on the beat, all the while you're emulating all this back and forth scratching, all those back and forths have to add up to being in time with the loop's length, make sense? is this feasible/possible?

I could play around with that but I'm off on other tangents.


btw freeze/flatten then crop a midi loop to make it scratchable. then just hit undo to return the midi to normal, or copy it off first.
oddstep wrote:I agree with all of this. I'm just bored of writing "its music, just listen and trust your judgement"

Nathan Ramella
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:48 am

Post by Nathan Ramella » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:24 pm

Tone Deft wrote:Pinky forums is dead so I'm ranting here.

Winston - I accidentally recorded the timecode being scratched instead of Pinky's output. but now I have something like a 'scratch envelope' that I can apply to anything in Pinky.

my head's spinning about the usefulness of this. ultimately you have to move the vinyl on the beat, IOW the end of the envelope has to leave off so the scratched section is on the beat, all the while you're emulating all this back and forth scratching, all those back and forths have to add up to being in time with the loop's length, make sense? is this feasible/possible?

I could play around with that but I'm off on other tangents.


btw freeze/flatten then crop a midi loop to make it scratchable. then just hit undo to return the midi to normal, or copy it off first.
You got your ammobox replacement done yet Tone? :oops:
remix.net - versus / liveapi / hangthedj / ammobox

Post Reply