Matthew Dear's HD stolen mid set

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:35 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
thelike5 wrote:
massiveheadpain wrote:are most of you brooklyn vegan blog comment posters too? cuz I read some of the comments there and they seem to match a lot of what is said here.....
Nope, never even been to the site before until yesterday.

As far as the NI files, ok, I just wanted to know if bOuncey checked in with them first and was curious as to how fast they told him to go and get fucked. That's all. I'm glad he feels a company like Ableton should give him the free upgrade. So, if everyone here thinks its right, go and complain to Ableton and get your 6 to 7 upgrade for free. Maybe you will put them out if business or cost a developer or to a job. Then they can hire someone for less money that is less skilled and we can we even more bugs. Yeah!
None of what you said makes any sense. From all accounts b0unce bought Sampler right away, and bought some sample libraries for it, which isn't a big surprise considering it doesn't come with any, (lame IMO), and they didn't work. Fortunately for Ableton not everybody did this, otherwise they would all be as ticked off.
NI are not at all responsible for third party sample libraries that are made to work in Kontakt not working in Ableton's Sampler, but Ableton stating that Sampler will import Kontakt libraries is directly Ableton's responsibility, that you can't see that, and are trying to shift blame, and paint out the customer as wrong etc. is pretty funny really. But then, it's just a vain attempt at attacking b0unce isn't it?

Also, it's pathetic that you're trying to paint NI out to be asshole here. At least keep complaints against companies to issues they deserve them for. :roll:
OK, I admitted I was wrong and its been proven that NI wasn't at fault.

The fuck more do you want?

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:00 pm

thelike5 wrote: OK, I admitted I was wrong and its been proven that NI wasn't at fault.

The fuck more do you want?
Nothing, just trying to keep the blame game fair that's all. :)

Personally I don't think there's anything cool about losing your HD mid set, it sucks that people will steal anything, fucking harddrives aren't even that expensive.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:07 am

When it comes to using a laptop live doesnt matter whther on internal drive or external - the most iportant bit is my ipod nano (kept in pocket in a solid case) with a couple of pre mixed set variations incase the frigging computer dies, or some fukwit trashes/nicks something etc.
Nothing to see here - move along!

forge

Post by forge » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:46 am

ha ha - Hambone you're being quoted in other forums!

http://www.wiretotheear.com/2008/04/12/ ... uring-set/
There is also a long thread over at the Ableton Live forum about it. You can find lots of colorful comments including the expected “he was spinning MP3’s he deserved it”. A more useful comment I found from Ableton forum from member “hambone1″ was that he should have had a Kensington Lock. Agreed! Check out the thread: here
:lol:

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:54 am

Hey... it's 3 seconds towards my 15 minutes of Andy Warhol fame! :lol:

Perhaps Kensington should be paying me a commission!

As mentioned, I also stipulate in my contract that any damage or theft of equipment is the responsibility of whoever booked us. I've only had damage once in three years. Before I started, a friend told me to build my equipment into a "fortress" that's inpenetrable by the most drunk/stoned mental midget.

It's sad that we have to take these measure nowadays... :cry:

forge

Post by forge » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:25 am

hambone1 wrote: It's sad that we have to take these measure nowadays... :cry:
well yeah especially in Matthew dear's case - I mean the advice to get a kensington is sound, but his is a pretty extreme case - you really would not think something like that would happen so blatantly

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:31 am

NEWSFLASH:
musical gear & computers are stolen all the time.
It's not reported in the media at large because the victims are just regular joe-soaps nobody has heard of.

carry on.
spreader of butter

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:56 am

b0unce wrote:NEWSFLASH:
musical gear & computers are stolen all the time.
It's not reported in the media at large because the victims are just regular joe-soaps nobody has heard of.

carry on.
True. Why does music seems to draw the scum of the scum?

http://www.musicguard.co.uk/home.asp?affid=57984 is superb.

oune

Post by oune » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:07 pm

Back in the old days : stuff on stage were usually quite heavy : synth, sequencer, mixer and FX : all weight a ton but were less subject of thievery.

So last years, when i played with my rock/electro bands - and after i switched to a software based solution - i usually put everything (except the laptop) in my good old heavy flight case. Soundcard, backup HD, patch, DI, etc.., everything was racked.

Yes, it's a lot less convenient but after the soundcheck, i can take the laptop with me and let the rack on stage or backstage without too many worries.

rasputin

Post by rasputin » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:20 pm

Fortunately criminals are often stupid drug addicts.
A friend of mine owns a little ski/skate shop in the southwest. Last week his shop and the optician down the road were both robbed of a bunch of expensive Oakley glasses and such.

The victims checked out ebay and local craigslist and zeroed in on the stolen stuff pretty quickly. The perp even posted pictures of the stolen items with the OPTICIAN'S INVENTORY TAGS still on them.

The perp had a Myspace page with the same username as his ebay username.

There was an arrest within 48 hours. Hopefully the guy will do some decent time since, surprise, it wasn't the only thing there were warrants out for for him.

No doubt there are people here who want to blame the stores for not having secure enough buildings.
Live 9.1 <> occasionally Reason 4.0.1 <> Reaper.latest! <> Windows 7 on a bespoke Intel Q6600 <> ASUS P5E <> 8GB RAM, M-Audio Delta 2496 and that's it.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:22 pm

what's the guy's myspace? :twisted:
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

8O

Post by 8O » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:29 pm

This thread is a good reminder not only to keep doing my back-ups, but also to check my home-contents insurance policy for when I use my laptop and stuff outside my home...

There must be a thief <-> insurance company conspiracy theory somewhere... :wink:

ironwill2000

Post by ironwill2000 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:25 am

8O wrote:This thread is a good reminder not only to keep doing my back-ups, but also to check my home-contents insurance policy for when I use my laptop and stuff outside my home...

There must be a thief <-> insurance company conspiracy theory somewhere... :wink:
Kind of like the antivirus <-> virus writers conspiracy theory.... :)

8O

Post by 8O » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:50 pm

Just checked my home-contents insurance policy and have zero coverage if playing my laptop in a bar/club. Yikes! Kids, watch out!

Anyone on here recommend a good policy like musicguard for Germany?

kpa

Post by kpa » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:18 pm

Khazul wrote:When it comes to using a laptop live doesnt matter whther on internal drive or external - the most iportant bit is my ipod nano (kept in pocket in a solid case) with a couple of pre mixed set variations incase the frigging computer dies, or some fukwit trashes/nicks something etc.
i do this too. have the ipod plugged into the dj mixer ready to go with the first track being an pretty upbeat floor filler so that if (or more likely when) the laptop goes brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, i can quickly kill it and flick into the ipor to get the crowd going again.

but i'd be pretty ragin if someone stole my ext hard drive. my laptop has a sd card port, and you can now get pretty big sd cards, so i have my set/tracks on my laptop hard drive and also on a sd card inside my laptop.

kpa
Cryptomnesian - the recall of memories not recognised as such, but thought to be original ideas.
www.Cryptomnesian.com
www.myspace.com/thekpa
www.myspace.com/thebodesapha