Matthew Dear's HD stolen mid set

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ScholarlyGent

Post by ScholarlyGent » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:38 pm

To all you playa hattin ass Mofos- MAtts one of the nicest guys you'll meet. This sucks.

logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:47 pm

ScholarlyGent wrote:To all you playa hattin ass Mofos- MAtts one of the nicest guys you'll meet. This sucks.
Ass hat? What?

For someone of a 'scholarly' nature, your spelling ain't up to much, son!

It does suck about Matt's gear, but a big slap on the wrist for not backing up. Although, I think the incident would be enough of a slap...!
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

andydes

Post by andydes » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:00 pm

I don't think it's a point about backing up. Some arsehole grabbed the hard drive halfway through a set and ruined the performance.

Have you seen the comments on the linked story. People slagging off his hair, vinyl vs mp3 cemments, bitching about laptop users not being musicians, etc. What a bunch of twats.

ScholarlyGent

Post by ScholarlyGent » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:01 pm

logic_user99 wrote:
ScholarlyGent wrote:To all you playa hattin ass Mofos- MAtts one of the nicest guys you'll meet. This sucks.
Ass hat? What?

For someone of a 'scholarly' nature, your spelling ain't up to much, son!

It does suck about Matt's gear, but a big slap on the wrist for not backing up. Although, I think the incident would be enough of a slap...!
Chumon now! My scholarly nature will always be subservient to a little humor.

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:03 pm

I know lots of really nice people.

'Nice' and 'competent' aren't necessarily the same thing.

TITBAG

Post by TITBAG » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:06 pm

HI MATT NO YOU CANT HAVE IT BACK

8O

Post by 8O » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:38 pm

andydes wrote:I don't think it's a point about backing up. Some arsehole grabbed the hard drive halfway through a set and ruined the performance.

Have you seen the comments on the linked story. People slagging off his hair, vinyl vs mp3 cemments, bitching about laptop users not being musicians, etc. What a bunch of twats.
+1

For the smug, holier-than-thou ones, just wait until you have your gear stolen. You'll really appreciate the wise-cracks and criticism directed at you. Guaranteed.

nobbystylus

Post by nobbystylus » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:39 pm

i don't think it actually says that he didn't have a back up..
http://www.myspace.com/wardclerk
http://www.myspace.com/bighairufreqs
LIVE 8.21/ Reaktor 5.51/VDMX/Quartz Composer

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:42 pm

8O wrote: For the smug, holier-than-thou ones, just wait until you have your gear stolen. You'll really appreciate the wise-cracks and criticism directed at you. Guaranteed.
other than a few closet homosexuals, I don't think anyone from the public at large would give a shit if hambone's HD was stolen.
spreader of butter

8O

Post by 8O » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:45 pm

b0unce wrote:other than a few closet homosexuals, I don't think anyone from the public at large would give a shit if hambone's HD was stolen.
:lol:

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:12 pm

b0unce wrote:
8O wrote: For the smug, holier-than-thou ones, just wait until you have your gear stolen. You'll really appreciate the wise-cracks and criticism directed at you. Guaranteed.
other than a few closet homosexuals, I don't think anyone from the public at large would give a shit if hambone's HD was stolen.
Actually, I don't think ANYONE would want it.

But if they did, that's what Kensington locks, insurance and off-site backups are for.

Common sense to any professional who relies on IT.

Although not perfect, they're a good deterrent: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 8346205814

Trust no one.

thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:20 pm

Having your hard drive stolen would suck whether or not you have an established name with a several hundered dollar TB drive or if you are just starting out and have a cheapy little flash based drive. We are talking about private data being ripped off; throw in private data being ripped off DURING THE MIDDLE OF A PERFORMANCE and you have a case for a serious ass kicking.

Matt Dear is a super nice guy with more experience and musical talent than just about anyone I've ever met. I've opened for him before and his repuatation of being a great guy is well deserved. This story sucks. Matt's one of the hardest working performers in the industry. He's constantly trying to evolve his sound and tours pretty much non-stop.

That being said it sounds like whoever stole this is probably going to get off unless the individual is dumb enough to proclaim to the public what he did. Hopefully, guilt sets in and he does the right thing and returns the drive. Still, that shouldn't get him off from getting a beat down for ruining what I can only imagine was a great set. Asshole.

If someone such as bOunce (surprise) thinks it's funny to have your hard drive or any other musical gear stolen than it's clear to me that he hasn't a shred of musical cred nor a friend in the world.

I'm sure Matt had a backup. He's a professional and actually does this sort of thing for a living.

thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:22 pm

b0unce wrote:
God damn this forum is getting dumber by the day...
Last edited by thelike5 on Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:29 pm

lol, wrong as usual thewank. I derive no funnies from Matthew's HD being stolen.
and yes the forum IS getting dumber by the day, by the post even!

greetings from Scotland,
b0unce aka TITBAG

:roll:
spreader of butter

thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:32 pm

b0unce wrote:lol, wrong as usual thewank. I derive no funnies from Matthew's HD being stolen.
and yes the forum IS getting dumber by the day, by the post even!

greetings from Scotland,
b0unce aka TITBAG

:roll:
Whoops. Titbag strikes again.

C'mon, man. Tell the truth for once; you would LOVE to see someone succesful lose something valuable. I couldn't imagine you wanting something more.