Release advice?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
woodwardjnr

Release advice?

Post by woodwardjnr » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:12 am

I sent a track I did to few Djs and friends. I had kind of forgotton about it until a Radio dj from germany liked it and wants to release it on his label. He wants the parts so he can also do a remix. He wants to release it on vinyl and split anything 50/50 but with no contract. they will however do all promo distribution, pressing of vinyl etc.
I had put the track to bed and left it as just another project. I'd be happy just to have a piece of vinyl with my tune on it.

any thoughts?

pbasonuk

Post by pbasonuk » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:07 am

You may get something put on Vnyl but dont you want to be able to see peoples reactions to your music?

If you agree to this then you will get shafted.

woodwardjnr

Post by woodwardjnr » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:33 am

surely somethings better than nothing?

googoo

Post by googoo » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:40 am

No contract.......no deal. Easy as that. Who's to say he'll do all he said he would.

mdk

Post by mdk » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:41 am

and what if your something turns out to be nothing? with no contract you dont have a leg to stand on. you might not even get sent a copy of your own record. 8O

at least get something in writing that you're both agreed on
Pr0k Records - Bandcamp Facebook Twitter

b0unce

Re: Release advice?

Post by b0unce » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:41 am

woodwardjnr wrote:He wants the parts so he can also do a remix. He wants to release it on vinyl and split anything 50/50 but with no contract
I want to ask you if you are on any heavy medication for any brain-wrongness owing to severe head trauma or if you suffer from retardation due to birth complications, but I realise that might come off as rude. so I won't say anything at all.
spreader of butter

cressy

Post by cressy » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:47 am

Yeah you're likely to get shafted - but then you're likely to get shafted even if you release it on a label local to you, and with a contract.

I say do it - you'll be getting your name out there, and making contacts - it's rare to make any kind of money on a one off release anyway, but there is even the possibility you could earn some cash from this - it could even blow up and be your big break.

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:52 am

cressy wrote:you'll be getting your name out there
oh he will, will he ?
how can you be so sure ?

besides, that's what the fuckin interweb is for.
Last edited by b0unce on Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
spreader of butter

woodwardjnr

Post by woodwardjnr » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:52 am

cressy wrote:Yeah you're likely to get shafted - but then you're likely to get shafted even if you release it on a label local to you, and with a contract.

I say do it - you'll be getting your name out there, and making contacts - it's rare to make any kind of money on a one off release anyway, but there is even the possibility you could earn some cash from this - it could even blow up and be your big break.
exactly, was hoping to get DJ gigs out of it more than anything. Im aware you make jack shit from a single release.

Funnily enough, I do have a brain condition, I have a brain tumour. whether it will have an effect on my decision who knows, but, i know it would be nice to have something released before i leave.

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:56 am

it's not operable ?

who care's about the money, it's about copyright control. You must have that for your own music. Handing over the stems plus permission to release the original AND a remix with no contract ....just seems like madness to me. Although I am open to some PRO schooling me on why that's actually a good thing to do.
spreader of butter

SimonPHC

Post by SimonPHC » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:05 pm

no contract no deal
easy

there are thousands of ways this could end bad for you and your tune if you give him the music without any deal. it might even become a popular ring tone in Sweden for all you know, but without a contract you wouldn't get any credit nor money.

I understand you're not doing this because you expect to get rich, but even for the love of music, get a contract.

or maybe you're on of those "oh my I didn't realize this was a blackroom, oh well" types

cressy

Post by cressy » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:05 pm

oh he will, will he ?
how can you be so sure ?

besides, that's what the fuckin interweb is for.
Well, you can never be sure of anything. Maybe he'll send off the stems and the tune, and never hear anything again till he see's his tune, with a different name and a few minor changes being released by this german DJ dude.

Still - I'd do it - It's worth the risk unless you don't think you;re ever going to make another tune of the same or higher standard, or unless you're especially precious about your music.

As for the interweb, it's great for getting your name out, but best used in combination with networking in real life too.
I have a brain tumour.
Sorry to hear that - good luck

SimonPHC

Post by SimonPHC » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:15 pm

b0unce wrote:Although I am open to some PRO schooling me on why that's actually a good thing to do.
I aint no pro, yet, but I can try to explain why I always get a contract made and signed.
basically what a contract says is: "I hereby give this other person the right to exploit my music for this amount of time, on these media for which I get so many percent of the money made"
the most important aspect in a way is that, by doing this both parties agree beforehand that the tracks for which the contract is made are attributed to you. there is no doubt on that issue. If you're with the MCPA, or SABAM, or BIEM/Stemra or whatever copyright organization, this might not concern you, but for those that aren't members, this proves you are in fact the real owner of the work.

ScholarlyGent

Post by ScholarlyGent » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:16 pm

Coming from a current law student focusing on contract and entertainment law... USE A CONTRACT!! Now, because I'm a law student, I cannot offer you official legal advice but here is my personal opinion on the matter. If you do not use a contract, you really risk losing your rights to your own stuff. Its not as simple as splitting proceeds from the vinyl pressing 50/50. What if another larger label wants to re-release the remix? What if a DJ wants to use the track for a compilation? What if for some reason someone wants to use your track in a commercial? If you dont put this deal in a contract you SERIOUSLY risk forfeiting any future proceeds and you may even loose credit for the track. Say one of the above situations happens and you have no contract but you want to claim rights over the track. You would have to hire a lawyer at great expense to fight for you and even in that case the lawyer will have a very tough job because you did not have a contract. If this guy wants to go through the trouble of remixing and pressing the track, he must believe there is some profit to be made and therefore so should you. Cover your ass, or risk getting ripped off! That being said, the contract does not necessarily need to be some extremely complex document (it certainly can be, but probably doesn't need to be). You always want to have a lawyer put something together for you to make sure you've covered your ass, but you probably wont do that. If you were to write something up yourself (a layman's agreement), you at least want to explicitly state where the proceeds from the pressing and any future pressing will go and how and when they will be exchanged. You will want to lay out who holds the publishing rights to the original track, the remix, and any future remixes. You also want to lay out any other limits you want to put on this guy's use of your work and explicitly state any rights you want to retain. Also, if your dealing with a guy oversees you should state that you want US law to apply in the case of a dispute. LEt me reiterate to you that what I have just said is in no way meant to be legal advise that you can rely on to insure your covered. Its just my educated opinion on the matter. You should really talk to a lawyer specializing in intellectual property. If you make the contract yourself, it will, legally speaking, be completely jacked up but it will at least offer a judge some guidance as to your intentions in the case of a dispute. But whatever you do, get something in writing! You just never know what might happen, and if your track is making someone money, you should be that person.

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:18 pm

ya Simon, I know.

I meant I am open to a pro telling me why using NO contract might be a good idea.
spreader of butter