Release advice?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
SimonPHC

Post by SimonPHC » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:32 pm

b0unce wrote:ya Simon, I know.

I meant I am open to a pro telling me why using NO contract might be a good idea.
oh I misread. carry on.

andydes

Post by andydes » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:51 pm

That's good adv...I mean, opinion, ScholarlyGent.

If this guy wants to make vinyl pressings, he obviously thinks there's money to be made there. It's really not that hard to make a simple contract, I'd wonder why this guy doesn't want one. Just lazy, perhaps? Doubtful.

creature

Post by creature » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:02 pm

I agree, you absolutely must have a contract in place. I am in the process of licensing my sample dvd, electronic critters, to a larger sample provider company. The first thing we are doing is sorting out the contract negotiations. It's a slow process, it has token nearly 6 weeks so far, but that means myself and the sample provider are both legally covered and we know where we both stand.

If this dj isn't prepared to offer a contrac then walk away. The fact he has shown interest could well mean someone else could be interested and is more likely to do things the correct, legal, way.

Just my 2 pence worth. Good luck with the track :-) Do you have it anywhere for us abletonites to listen too, myspace or something like that. Id like to hear it :-)

Steve

ScholarlyGent

Post by ScholarlyGent » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:03 pm

andydes wrote:That's good adv...I mean, opinion, ScholarlyGent.

If this guy wants to make vinyl pressings, he obviously thinks there's money to be made there. It's really not that hard to make a simple contract, I'd wonder why this guy doesn't want one. Just lazy, perhaps? Doubtful.
Indeed!

xzusa8ky

Post by xzusa8ky » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:06 pm

not serious! 8O
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

andydes

Post by andydes » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:08 pm

creature wrote:
Just my 2 pence worth. Good luck with the track :-) Do you have it anywhere for us abletonites to listen too, myspace or something like that. Id like to hear it :-)

Steve
The full project folder would be nice. Heh, heh, heh!

ScholarlyGent

Post by ScholarlyGent » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:12 pm

xzusa8ky wrote:not serious! 8O
Not seemingly so at the outset of the deal indeed. But I wouldn't bet my work on the fact that a serious problem wont arise... and if does your screwed without a contract. You've got to think beyond the initial picture and beyond that of a person with their head up their ass. (0)<---- Thats a representation of an ass. Its looks a little better from the outside.

landrvr1

Post by landrvr1 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:28 pm

God, I can see this now.

Your tune gets passed around after you essentially give it up. A major Hollywood director hears it at some party or club. Loves it. It becomes the theme for some super cool new spy flick based in space. The soundtrack sells in the millions. The song is everywhere.

And I was here to see it all go down from the start.

*wipes a tear from his eye*

ScholarlyGent

Post by ScholarlyGent » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:33 pm

landrvr1 wrote:God, I can see this now.

Your tune gets passed around after you essentially give it up. A major Hollywood director hears it at some party or club. Loves it. It becomes the theme for some super cool new spy flick based in space. The soundtrack sells in the millions. The song is everywhere.

And I was here to see it all go down from the start.

*wipes a tear from his eye*
Ok, thats some funny shit. But for real, aside from this guy being the next Tiger Beat teen sensation or going from burff days as the worst days to sippin champagne when he's thurstay, there may very well be some money to be made from his track and he should make sure he gets it so he can go get a 60 inch screen money green leather sofa and perhaps even two rides, and a limousine with chauffeur

compositeone

Post by compositeone » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:07 pm

If the guy is gunna do what he's says he should have no problem putting it in writing. Some one who won't back up their own word with a contract is a bullshitter as far as I'm concerned.
http://www.myspace.com/compositeswerve

"So what kind of music do you make?"
"Both kinds...... drum and bass."

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:08 pm

IF the oversees radio DJ is legit, there's no reason he'd not have even a basic contract in place already, especially if he supposedly owns his own label already. The fact that the label head did not even offer one, or says specifically that he will not do a contract would make me run like hell. That's a huge warning sign that you will likely never see any money, any exposure (who says he puts your name on it?), or any type of reimbursement at all. Even if it was a dead project you had shelved, you should still value your work and take some pride in it.