If I were to go Mac...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Pasha

Post by Pasha » Mon May 12, 2008 6:31 am

Winston wrote:I use macs, and I like 'em. But mostly for the OS.

I'd say if you're not going to use OSX at all, just save yourself money and get a PC.

BTW, learning OSX isn't that hard.
+1
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

muscleandhate

Re: If I were to go Mac...

Post by muscleandhate » Mon May 12, 2008 7:19 am

misteron wrote:MBP is looking way too expensive so I'd go MB or stick with PC
Main reason for the switch would be lack of 6pin FW port on any PC laptop, and lack of choice (info/specs) to deal with when buying a mac.

If I "switch" I would be running XP on the macbook fo sho! as I don't want to spend time learning a new OS.

So is there actually any benefit to using Mac hardware if not running Mac OS?
I see people mention MBP a lot... is MB good enough?

And finally, if you'd be so kind, do either of these macbooks look good?

979euro
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.1 GHz ( Dual-Core )
3 MB - L2 Cache
1 GB (installed) / 4 GB (max) - DDR II SDRAM - 667 MHz - PC2-5300 ( 2 x 512 MB )
120 GB - Serial ATA-150 - 5400 rpm
CD-RW / DVD-ROM combo - integrated
13.3" TFT 1280 x 800 ( WXGA )
Intel GMA X3100 Graphics Controller
Dynamic Video Memory Technology 4.0
Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11a, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11n (draft), Bluetooth 2.0 EDR (not sure what this part means)
MacOS X 10.5

1165euro
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz ( Dual-Core )
3 MB - L2 Cache
2 GB (installed) / 4 GB (max) - DDR II SDRAM - 667 MHz - PC2-5300 ( 2 x 1 GB )
160 GB - Serial ATA-150 - 5400 rpm
DVD±RW (±R DL) - integrated
Intel GMA X3100 Graphics Controller
Dynamic Video Memory Technology 4.0
Network adapter - Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11a, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11n (draft), Bluetooth 2.0 EDR
MacOS X 10.5

thanks for any help
As people are saying, don't buy a MAC if you're only going to run XP. Just buy a cheapo laptop, after all there isn't much in it between laptops these days - they all use cheap internal components.

XP/Vista will never catch up to OS X, the latter being literally lightyears ahead. I use my Mac for music production (Logic rocks, great price now as well), photography (Aperture 2.1 is awesome) and surfing the web (no viruses, malware etc) running camino, the only browser you need (completely blocks all advertising, it's great).

OSX needs no tweaking. Since most stuff has gone intel, OSX NEVER CRASHES. I got my macbook shipped over and have been using it for a few months after updating software. Seriously it hasn't crashed once.

MacBook without OSX - waste of money.

Kozak

Post by Kozak » Wed May 14, 2008 9:46 am

Yhtomit wrote:I wanted OSX purely to get rid of clicks, pops and latency. So far (six months) I never heard a click or drop out and Im working with low latency all the time. Either with the onboard system soundcard or the apogee interface. You can't get this glitch-free sound from a Windows machine. Even if the machine is setup correctly with fi the (by far the best) Hammerfall driver..
Also, OSX makes better use of memory. I don't know how to explain it but it does do wonders.
As for workflow preferences, that's up to the user but I also prefer osx. Especially with neath things like Expose, Audio Units, etc
So you're saying noone will ever be able to perform on an XP installed laptop?
Are there actually people who perform on an XP laptop? My best guess is that everyone here are MB fanboys who pay 1200$ dollar more and only get a glowing apple...
Ableton Live 7.0.2 / Keyboard / Mouse

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat May 17, 2008 3:43 am

Kozak wrote:
Yhtomit wrote:I wanted OSX purely to get rid of clicks, pops and latency. So far (six months) I never heard a click or drop out and Im working with low latency all the time. Either with the onboard system soundcard or the apogee interface. You can't get this glitch-free sound from a Windows machine. Even if the machine is setup correctly with fi the (by far the best) Hammerfall driver..
Also, OSX makes better use of memory. I don't know how to explain it but it does do wonders.
As for workflow preferences, that's up to the user but I also prefer osx. Especially with neath things like Expose, Audio Units, etc
So you're saying noone will ever be able to perform on an XP installed laptop?
Are there actually people who perform on an XP laptop? My best guess is that everyone here are MB fanboys who pay 1200$ dollar more and only get a glowing apple...
Hey don't throw us all to the wolves? I get drop outs, and yes, people can and do use Windows all the time for live. Some people have an easier time with OSX that's all. but yeah, they tend to blame the entire platform for their problems etc.. :?