If I were to go Mac...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
doc holiday

Post by doc holiday » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:35 pm

misteron wrote: Does anyone know if I can use my current XP license for the installing XP on bootcamp?
you use the same SN, it is just a matter of getting more unlocks for it.

misteron

Post by misteron » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:02 pm

With mac being much safer re viruses/malware - could I just use the net from osx even if it's in bootcamp?
Or is there still some reason to keep my separate net machine?

I ask because someone is interested in buying my net machine and i could really use that money to put towards the mac !

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:31 pm

I use my MBP for web surfing, writing music, everything, never worrying about viruses and the like. (yet).

leonardrock

Post by leonardrock » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:14 pm

+1 to that.....

Go for it misteron, use Bootcamp to boot Windows out of your life....

The ONLY thing I miss from my Windows days is MS Word. I use it at work everyday on PC and although I can get it for OSX I don't feel like installing the bloated Office Package which includes all the typical Microsoft "what the hell is that" program extensions, services, etc.

If they offered "Microsoft Word - Pro Audio Edition" I would buy it. Until then....
15" MBP 2.5 gHz, 4 GB, OSX 10.5.6, M-Audio FW-410, Axiom 49, Trigger Finger, Line6 POD XT, Live 7, PTMP 8

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:23 pm

leonardrock wrote:The ONLY thing I miss from my Windows days is MS Word. I use it at work everyday on PC and although I can get it for OSX I don't feel like installing the bloated Office Package which includes all the typical Microsoft "what the hell is that" program extensions, services, etc.
You can buy just Word for Mac without Office.
http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Word-Ma ... 037&sr=8-5

I did a job for a guy who works on Office and got the Mac version a while ago, I just didn't instal anything but Powerpoint, Excel and Word, works fine.

My only problem is considering I'm a freaking construction worker by day, I barely get around in Word! :lol:

glu

Post by glu » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:27 pm

got an Imac earlier this year, of course with the intention of using bootcamp..
I have not gotten around to it yet, mainly because I really enjoy working in OSX.
Expose and spaces are amazing, programmable hot keys speed up my work,
and I have no complaints- I have a 20 track Live set open, a few PDFs in Preview( which also kicks major ass) itunes opened, 10 tabs in Firefox, etc etc.. I have crashed the Imac maybe 2 or three times, but I suspect it has been from Firefox each time.

Don't look back, I waited like 2 years before making a decision, then I wondered why the hell I waited that long.

You can always try it out for a year and sell the machine if you are not happy. At throw 4 GB ram in it for $100, and you should get most of your money back if you resell. Try doing that with a PC.

Or just get a PC and stay happy with all those free VSTs. I do miss a few of them, but
limitations force creativity, and I have had a productive three months of music making.

just look at the few playlists I have already made in 2008 (sig below). I was a
shareware VST junkie on XP- it was a painful withdrawal, but there are a million
ways to skin a cat, and not having a few particular VSTis did not stop me from
making new tuens.
no prevailing genre of music:
http://alonetone.com/glu

robfoster

Post by robfoster » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:43 pm

I use macs and pc's at work, i only ever get major problems with the pc's, if i get a problem with the macs its always easily solveable, they really do just work. I also use mac soley for music creation, and again everything works.

Geebag

Post by Geebag » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:27 pm

Id rather jack than fleetwood mac

misteron

Post by misteron » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:51 pm

Hambone1 wrote:they've each got their strengths and weaknesses
...What weaknesses

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:11 pm

misteron wrote:
Hambone1 wrote:they've each got their strengths and weaknesses
...What weaknesses
PC weaknesses: unknowns involving the millions of combinations of hardware components, reliance on anti-virus software, necessity to tweak "under the hood" for reliable performance, inability to run OSX with major hacking.

Mac weaknesses: umm... I'll get back to you on that one...

My opinion only, for what little it's worth!

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:44 am

Well, we have plenty of problems that occur with our Macs in our school board, sometimes abuse from children, but they fail at least as much as the PCs we used to have, the techs tell me they fail more (esp. harddrive failures) and that PCs are better for big networks as used in school computer labs etc, but maybe they're just mad that they all had to go back to school and get trained on Macs on their own dime ...

Other weaknesses : cost, fewer hardware/component choices (although this is paradoxically a strength), not so great for gaming.

Many strengths offset this. Although I have been a proponent of PC for ages, my next computer purchase is looking more and more likely to be a Mac, especially given the state Vista is in right now.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

epiphanius

Post by epiphanius » Sun May 11, 2008 11:33 pm

What weaknesses
When I worked at an ISP, we discovered the hard way that deleting an email account config on a Mac also deletes ALL THE USER'S MAIL. Without warning. This is insane. If this terrible design flaw exists, you can be pretty sure there are others.

That said, I'm also looking forward to buying a Macbook, my first Mac. I don't have unrealistic expectations, but look forward to any bright sides.

I agree with the earlier post in this thread about getting Logic - it really is a great deal, one that Ableton should look at in terms of competitiveness. Does anyone know if the instruments in Logic can be used directly in Live? I sure hope so, but will go with the Sunflower approach if not.

e.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon May 12, 2008 1:06 am

epiphanius wrote:Does anyone know if the instruments in Logic can be used directly in Live? I sure hope so, but will go with the Sunflower approach if not.

e.
They do not work directly, you'd need to use soundflower (and mainstage IMO).

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Mon May 12, 2008 3:35 am

hambone1 wrote:PC weaknesses: unknowns involving the millions of combinations of hardware components
not really an issue. Also, we see them as "options", not obstacles, like the ability to choose between 1000s of graphics cards. Those are nice options, so we read reviews and pick the best ones - it works for us
hambone1 wrote:reliance on anti-virus software
Definitely not really an issue, unless the user is dumb enough to think trojan.exe is a condom-measuring app, hehe.
hambone1 wrote:necessity to tweak "under the hood" for reliable performance,
not an issue either, for my money.
hambone1 wrote:inability to run OSX with major hacking.
Very true - as designed by Apple. At its core it could easily run on regular inexpensive PC hardware, but was designed to only work with Apples own. Not for "compatibility and support" but for proprietary reasons. Shame, they could have made an extreme killing selling OSX for pcs. I would have gotten it, for sure, and would gladly have given Microsoft the finger in the process!
hambone1 wrote: My opinion only, for what little it's worth!
true , as is the same with mine.

epiphanius

Post by epiphanius » Mon May 12, 2008 4:36 am

Thanks, Tarekith.

e.