So what's the intial verdict on the MPD32 ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
condra

Post by condra » Fri May 16, 2008 12:39 pm

contakt321 wrote: It's 15.5" x 12"
tyvm

condra

Post by condra » Mon May 19, 2008 12:41 pm

Mine arrived just an hour ago.

So far it's great fun. Pretty big and sturdy.
Feels more like the centre of the studio rather than a drum pad "accessory".

The sliders are great and the buttons are pretty good (if a little "clicky").
The endless rotaries are large and solid, and although I would have liked a more rubbery feel, they're pretty nice to use.

The pads feel nice - a bit softer than the pads on my old Axiom, and they actually press down slightly, which feels quite tactile.

Couple of issues to iron out still, but setting up was a walk in the park.

Very pleased so far.

Dologo

Post by Dologo » Sat May 24, 2008 9:02 am

Im thinking of getting this next week and want to know what the mappings are like with Live 7.Is there a master Volume preset?

I tired this at Guitar Center and it was hooked up to a MAC with Garagebands.I only saw Live lite as a preset,is this what you use with Live 7 before setting up the midi inputs/outputs in Live?

Any feedback who be nice.

TY.

whizerbyte

Post by whizerbyte » Sun May 25, 2008 11:03 am

whizerbyte wrote:
circuitslave wrote:
whizerbyte wrote:1. 360 degree knobs weren't incremental/decremental making them worst then none 360 degree knobs (despite what the akai's product manager said on a youtube vid)

What do you mean---can you elaborate?
he (the Project Manager for Akai) kind of explains it here (@ 30 seconds)
if it's still not clear i'll try and elaborate more
my bad the link wasn't there http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKxJujHkBvc

Gnosis

Post by Gnosis » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:01 am

Great controller.

Can anyone tell me how to save 'global settings' so that they persist after turning it off and on? Cheers.

Gnosis

Post by Gnosis » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:42 pm

Is there an official or unofficial forum for the mpd anywhere?

Rahlo

Post by Rahlo » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:54 pm

Gnosis wrote:Is there an official or unofficial forum for the mpd anywhere?
I haven't found one yet, but I haven't looked that hard either. It'd be cool if Akai hosted a forum similar to this one.
peace,

rahlo
------------------------------------------------------
http://www.rahlo.com

MacBook Pro, Live 8, Reason 4, Akai MPD 32, Akai MPK 49, Akai APC 40, Metric Halo ULN-2 expanded, Apogee Duet.

nodea

genreal settings

Post by nodea » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:11 pm

Co sign here. I'm sure we're not the only ones that are looking for a way to save General settings and have them restored after turning off and on the unit.
However if it's not clearly stated in the manual I doubt if it's there anyways...Too bad.

Great unit by the way. Gives plenty of space for playing creativly and can be customised quite well. Easy learning curve as well. Well, at least for me. I started playing with it today and so far it was simple and I finished reading the magical manual already.
Don't forget to go outside today.

Tone

Post by Tone » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:17 pm

I've found that i don't have any other program running including live, the preset seems to take and is still there on restart.
MacBook Pro 15", 2.0 i7 quad, 16 gb ram, OS X 10.10.2, Live 9.6, PUSH II
https://soundcloud.com/nitepeople

eblomquist

MPD 32 latency problem

Post by eblomquist » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:00 pm

i'm wondering how you all are finding the latency with the mpd32. i find that if i activate record quantize, the beats are on the right timing, but without it, the beats are getting recorded late. And I'm pretty sure I'm playing them on time, so it seems to be a latency problem.

Any thoughts?
I teach at Berklee. MacBook Pro, Push, APC-40, Ultralite, iOS devices, Axiom 61, BX8A's, LIVE 9 Suite, MicroBrute, KORG MS-20, AKAI S-612, GUILD STARFIRE II BASS/STARFIRE III GUITAR.
http://www.underwaterairport.com "Kuhli Loach" on Facebook

eblomquist

MPD 32 latency problem

Post by eblomquist » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:00 pm

i'm wondering how you all are finding the latency with the mpd32. i find that if i activate record quantize, the beats are on the right timing, but without it, the beats are getting recorded late. And I'm pretty sure I'm playing them on time, so it seems to be a latency problem.

Any thoughts?
I teach at Berklee. MacBook Pro, Push, APC-40, Ultralite, iOS devices, Axiom 61, BX8A's, LIVE 9 Suite, MicroBrute, KORG MS-20, AKAI S-612, GUILD STARFIRE II BASS/STARFIRE III GUITAR.
http://www.underwaterairport.com "Kuhli Loach" on Facebook

chris_in_london

Re: genreal settings

Post by chris_in_london » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:00 pm

nodea wrote:Co sign here. I'm sure we're not the only ones that are looking for a way to save General settings and have them restored after turning off and on the unit.
However if it's not clearly stated in the manual I doubt if it's there anyways...Too bad.
i contacted akaipro support a couple of months back. they actually told me that some settings aren't saved at present. they didn't say the firmware had bugs, just that the unit not saving all global settings on power off was 'normal behaviour'.

the guy did say that they would be working on it, but it's pretty slack that they haven't fixed this with a firmware update as yet...

and the fader's don't allow 'soft takeover' with Live, either. I've contacted both akai pro and ableton about that one, and both said they will be working on it. no dates, though...

dbolt

Post by dbolt » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:42 am

My experience.... Well the way I set it up with Live 7.0.9 was by selecting it in the pref. section under controllers and setting the ins and outs and then hit dump and it worked kinda like Automap that you find on the Remote SL series but with much less flexibility. You can start with a fresh Live set and the faders will work for the volume right away even by starting out with 1 audio track and then adding them as you go the MPD32 will map them out and if you select a plugin the 1st 8 parameters will be mapped to the 1st bank of knobs. The buttons under the faders will enable record and I like how if you enable record on which ever track and if their is a plug in on that track it will take focus and you can use the knobs to control the very 1st plug in, works well with macro racks. With soft take over selected in Live I haven't seen my faders jump they seem to work as long as Live was set up. And with drumracks as long as you set the small box to show the 1st 16 set of samples then the MPD would be mapped that way and it you select another pad bank they would move accordingly.. but I wish the box in the drum racks would move also that would be nice. The pads I had to tweak them in the global settings like an earlier poster said just dial in what fits you best. I'm still not completely happy with the pads. I wish their were softer maybe and not so noisy and I mean just the sound it makes on the hardware not audio wise. I tend to rather drum on my Remote SL rather than the MPD and use the MPD to fire off loops and FX.... I hope maybe you have to break them in a bit I dunno.. I've only had it for a week and half.. If it wasn't for all the knobs and faders and control bank feature I would have really consider the Korg Padkontrol.

I hope this helps!

Dan Dare

Post by Dan Dare » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:50 am

Hey MPD32 users,

Are any of you guys playing live (on stage etc.) with your MPD32's.

I'm doing a show soon where I'm launching lots of different sampled scenes, I'm also using drum racks like a MPC to fire off one shots and other samples with fx.
I have a drummer and a guitarist playing along. It would be great to see if anyone else is doing something similar to discuss your approach and MPD integration.

Cheers.