All times are UTC

Post subject: Techno music with Guru - How to organise tracks?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:23 pm 

I'm making techno music in Dave clark-white noise type groove, using Guru for my pattern-making and drum samples.

Currently I drag my patterns into clips in a main 'guru midi' channel, and then use for four outputs from the plugin into seperate audio tracks (kick/snare/hats/perc) that Guru has in the options to add reverb and other effects.

It works great for making 8-16 beat loops with a guru pattern, maybe something from Newskool and a bassline, but when it comes to full tracks and I want to add a lot of little variation to keep things interesting, it just gets really confusing.

Watching some future music videos a lot of house/techno producers seem to have a separate channel for every sound. Is that a better way of doing it? How can I do that with Guru?

Should I be bouncing patterns to audio and having separate audio channels, or keeping it as midi and just outputting it all from guru onto separate tracks?

Any tips much appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:38 pm 

apart from your question - how are you enjoying guru? does it enable you to make much more creative rhytm then just drawing them out with e.g. drum racks?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:49 pm 

The really nice thing about Guru is the built in swing, if you set that up in a pattern and then drag it from Guru into a Midi clip it keeps all the swing settings.

I find it loads easier to make really funky beats with Gurus swing. Thats the main thing I use it for over impulse to be honest, the sounds that come with it are good but I tend to use vengeance samples in it now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:14 pm 

not to derail (to add a little for kozaks question), but im a newb producer and i recently bought guru and a padkontrol. it is SO MUCH easier than just drawing stuff in a midi clip... its a lot more fun and i can be a lot more creative. my wife and i were just tinkering around when i first got it all and she (knowing nothing about music production) saw how easy it was versus just drawing stuff out. the built in sequencer is awesome. i love guru. well worth the purchase.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:08 am 

Damon_Chambers wrote:
not to derail (to add a little for kozaks question), but im a newb producer and i recently bought guru and a padkontrol. it is SO MUCH easier than just drawing stuff in a midi clip... its a lot more fun and i can be a lot more creative. my wife and i were just tinkering around when i first got it all and she (knowing nothing about music production) saw how easy it was versus just drawing stuff out. the built in sequencer is awesome. i love guru. well worth the purchase.

so are you triggering samples with the padkontrol instead of drawing them out now or what is your method and what kind of music do you make?