Interesting Burial interview

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
eggnchips

Interesting Burial interview

Post by eggnchips » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:53 pm

Casio keyboard with 48k ZX Spectrum, a couple of tambourines and a triangle.
MUHK RECORDS

morerecords

Post by morerecords » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:35 pm

"B: So I thought to myself fuckit I’m going to stick to this shitty little computer program, Soundforge. I don’t know any other programs. Once I change something, I can never un-change it. I can only see the waves. So I know when I’m happy with my drums because they look like a nice fishbone. When they look just skeletal as fuck in front of me, and so I know they’ll sound good."

forge

Post by forge » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:06 pm

hey thanks for this - I checked it a day ago but it made me get the Burial album to which I am now listening

it was inspiring interview - to think he did all this with just sound forge is inspiring

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:45 pm

forge wrote:he did all this with just sound forge
you know, that just wreaks of urban legend/marketing..

forge

Post by forge » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:48 pm

noisetonepause wrote:
forge wrote:he did all this with just sound forge
you know, that just wreaks of urban legend/marketing..
1. you mean "reeks"
2. did you read the inteview?

;-)

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:59 pm

full of shit

forge

Post by forge » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:03 pm

actually listening again I really dont want to know if he used somethign else - i could believe he just used sound forge and if he did it really makes me think that inspiration is the number 1 pre-requisite in making music - way above anything else

if you know exactly what you want to do then you just do it, with whatever tools you have available

I remember a mate in about 2001 showing me how to use sound forge to do really cool things editing loops and I actually got on for quite a while working with Acid and Sound Forge making up loops on just a shitty PC laptop - Pentium 2 266 or something

I could totally believe if someone just stuck to that and mastered it they could achieve wonders

in fact I think my own biggest weakness has been fucking around with too many different things

nepotist

Post by nepotist » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:26 pm

I always just believed it, am I a sucker??
The Sales Department
TWITTER
FACEBOOK
BANDCAMP Download "Airlock" free-10 songs recorded in 10 Days

mdk

Post by mdk » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:40 pm

i think its totally reasonable, way back when i used to make all my tracks that way.

it was on an Atari ST and I had a little sample cartridge that plugged in the side to record stuff. It had this basic sample editor that you could do a few things with, trim, cut, copy, paste, paste and mix..etc..

So far a particular bpm i would calculate the time where each division was (quarters, 8ths, 16ths) and do the 'paste and mix' into the main file to add stuff to it.

of course it was really tedious, but i could do the same in SF a hell of a lot quicker these days. i still occasionally sequence tracks in SF using regions and playlists.

its good fun and gives you a different perspective...

like they say, dont knock it until you've tried it.
Pr0k Records - Bandcamp Facebook Twitter

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:43 pm

before i stick to my 'bullshit' comment.. can u multi track in soundforge?

Tuur

Post by Tuur » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:43 pm

forge wrote:hey thanks for this - I checked it a day ago but it made me get the Burial album to which I am now listening...
Pretty good innit?

morerecords

Post by morerecords » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:56 pm

I used to make tons of music in Bias Peak.
THere is a mix function, which allows you to mix the clipboard to varying degrees.
Plus, everyone knew he was usgin soundforge long before there was any hype about the guy

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:02 pm

morerecords wrote:I used to make tons of music in Bias Peak.
THere is a mix function, which allows you to mix the clipboard to varying degrees.
Plus, everyone knew he was usgin soundforge long before there was any hype about the guy
interesting but doesnt make it more likely.. or does it?

forge

Post by forge » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:31 pm

sweetjesus wrote:
seriously there was a time about 7 years ago where i was right into making sounds with SF / It had this integration with Acid at the time where they were a really good combo, but I could totally believe some people just staying there and getting it perfect - absolutely

you can have loads of waveforms open at once and there is a mix function where you can choose the level of the sound you are mixing in

this is like SF 3 or 4, but if you were really familiar with it you could easily make tunes with it - in fact we did

I actually have a lot of respect for people who stuck with something simple but mastered it

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:41 pm

forge wrote:
sweetjesus wrote:
seriously there was a time about 7 years ago where i was right into making sounds with SF / It had this integration with Acid at the time where they were a really good combo, but I could totally believe some people just staying there and getting it perfect - absolutely

you can have loads of waveforms open at once and there is a mix function where you can choose the level of the sound you are mixing in

this is like SF 3 or 4, but if you were really familiar with it you could easily make tunes with it - in fact we did

I actually have a lot of respect for people who stuck with something simple but mastered it
i have been playing this possible scenario in my mind.. it may be possible with the mix function and multiple waveforms and if he really did do it like this fucking mad props to him .. thats one hardcore technique