live sampling a double bass

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bosonHavoc

live sampling a double bass

Post by bosonHavoc » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:34 pm

i plan on sampling and looping my acoustic double bass live.

anyone on the forums do this?

i know from recording my bass that the only mic that i have thats worth anything for recording it is Neumann KMS 105 but thats my singers mic so i cant use that live.

the pick up i have is good but sucks for recording.
i do plan to buy The Realist Acoustic Bass Tranducer next.

i would like to get an EUB but the only ones i like are like 5,000 usd.
all the cheaper ones seem like they took a fretless bass and put it on a stick. thats freaking silly to me lol.. if i wanted that sound and feel i would just play a fretless bass.

anyone have any working suggestions for live recording an acoustic upright bass?

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:16 pm

you say:

"the pick up I have is good, but sucks for recording" -

remember that "live" you're not "recording", but rather treating audio before it reaches the audience, right?

I would reckon that pickup->Live->amp should work quite well, and integrate quite well in, unless you depend heavily on the unamplified sound of your bass (like when playing really small clubs)
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Yhtomit

Post by Yhtomit » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:50 pm

ow shoot for a moment there i thought the topic title was "free samples of live double bass"

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:36 am

Yhtomit wrote:ow shoot for a moment there i thought the topic title was "free samples of live double bass"
lol, when i can make some recordings i'm happy with i'll upload some loops.

vanheusen

Post by vanheusen » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:19 am

For good sound, a condenser mic or a good dynamic like the EV E20 is important. However, if you plan to record and resample live( If I understand correctly) I would recommend the realist. It does not sound real in any way but it is musical. Maybe try a dynamic like the re20 , but condensers can be messy live if you dont have the right
circumstances.

4am

Re: live sampling a double bass

Post by 4am » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:53 am

bosonHavoc wrote: anyone on the forums do this?
yep
bosonHavoc wrote: the pick up i have is good but sucks for recording.
just curious, which one do you actually use?
i actually have an underwood transducer and have to use an preamp to get acceptable results, it pushes high frequencies to much and lacks in bass frequencies. fishman transducers usually do the opposite

bosonHavoc wrote: anyone have any working suggestions for live recording an acoustic upright bass?
in a studio i usually use a normal microphone so that the sound of the resonant table is also recorded, sometimes a mix between pick up and microphone but it can cause trouble with the phase.
on stage it is difficult to set up because the microphone will amplify also the other sources, a good pick up is better in this case.

bosonHavoc

Re: live sampling a double bass

Post by bosonHavoc » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:55 am

4am wrote: just curious, which one do you actually use?
i have a k&k bass max

my live performance set is a k&k through a wah and delay then i run a split 1 goes to my galen kruger micro bass amp and the other goes into a fishman D.i. to the board. i get great results with this set up.. i can hear myself great and i dont need to be in the monitors and the sound engineer (sometimes thats me too lol) can dial in my bass really good for the audience.

i've tried alot of things for recording and the only thing that i've found exceptable was using a condenser but that wont work for stage.

i'm planning on getting a new pick up cause i dont realy like the k&k. it sounds good and even. but it moves around and falls out when i get to rockin.

the David Gage Realist Pickup has my eye.
all the bassists and cellists i know around town seem to use them.
i just don't know how well they are going to translate for live looping.

i've also read about the Beyerdynamic M88TG some guys over at gearslutz said they used that mic to record upright bass in a live room setting. they said it has good of axis rejection and picks up the bass tones good.

i'm going to rent some gear for a show i'm doing sound for and performing in so i plan to see if they have they m88tg for me to rent out.

i'm not ready to do any looping yet .. i need to get some foot switches and practice first. i'm really just triing to plan my next 6 months of gear purchasing budget.

Yhtomit

Post by Yhtomit » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:21 pm

bosonHavoc wrote:
Yhtomit wrote:ow shoot for a moment there i thought the topic title was "free samples of live double bass"
lol, when i can make some recordings i'm happy with i'll upload some loops.
That would be awesome
Been trying to buy an acoustic bass but threy're all kind of expensive. It's still on my list, though :--)