For those having reaktor... and any kind of time coded vinyl

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Tone Deft
Posts: 23565
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm
Location: SF, CA

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:04 pm

mdk - just do it yourself. Nathan's done the hard part, step up your game! he even gave you a clue how to do it, help the man out! I doubt Nathan needs a donation as much as he needs the free time, ya know?
oddstep wrote:I agree with all of this. I'm just bored of writing "its music, just listen and trust your judgement"

mdk
Posts: 914
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2005 3:51 pm
Location: Skopje, Macedonia
Contact:

Post by mdk » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:23 pm

Tone Deft wrote:mdk - just do it yourself. Nathan's done the hard part, step up your game! he even gave you a clue how to do it, help the man out! I doubt Nathan needs a donation as much as he needs the free time, ya know?
:D

i was making a joke, you see he asked for a bounty to do it and i gave him a picture that showed 2 chocolate bars, but get this, the bar is called a 'bounty' :)

aside from that, i dont even have turntables. now, if you want to buy me a nice pair of turntables, some timecoded vinyl and a few chocolate bars then i'll build the live scratching add-ons. :P
Pr0k Records - Bandcamp Facebook Twitter

Tone Deft
Posts: 23565
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm
Location: SF, CA

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:28 pm

my bad!

doooooood!!! do it!! it's amazing to scratch beats that you made yourself. then record that and scratch your own scratches on a beat you made yourself, then scratch scratches over scratches of beats you made yourself, to top it off, do all that with a Reaktor creation you made.

I've been doing this with max/Ms Pinky for a long time, almost a week! and it kills me to watch the max patch process a freaking scratch!! it's just numbers and lines on a screen but damn!! can't stop kicking myself for not getting into this earlier, am I doing a good job of hiding my enthusiasm?

1 direct drive turntable and you can probably find the timecode vinyl cheap somewhere. basic scratching isn't very hard, you can get going in a month, lotsa fun.
oddstep wrote:I agree with all of this. I'm just bored of writing "its music, just listen and trust your judgement"

Nathan Ramella
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:48 am

Post by Nathan Ramella » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:45 pm

I've written up ammobox on my wiki, I'll be adding more but this page now has all the important information on it.

http://www.remix.net/wiki/ammobox

-n
remix.net - versus / liveapi / hangthedj / ammobox

Tone Deft
Posts: 23565
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm
Location: SF, CA

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:48 pm

yo man, put that donation link up in there!
oddstep wrote:I agree with all of this. I'm just bored of writing "its music, just listen and trust your judgement"

kpa
Posts: 179
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:50 pm
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Contact:

Post by kpa » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:14 pm

i have been trying to use ammobox in reaktor vst, but it says "Error when reading file ...ammobox.ens: Not a valid file!"

what am i doing wrong? i have used reaktor fine in the past. i am on PC, does this matter?

cheers,

kpa
Cryptomnesian - the recall of memories not recognised as such, but thought to be original ideas.
www.Cryptomnesian.com
www.myspace.com/thekpa
www.myspace.com/thebodesapha

Nathan Ramella
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:48 am

Post by Nathan Ramella » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:21 pm

kpa wrote:i have been trying to use ammobox in reaktor vst, but it says "Error when reading file ...ammobox.ens: Not a valid file!"

what am i doing wrong? i have used reaktor fine in the past. i am on PC, does this matter?

cheers,

kpa
Hmm! What is the filesize of the ammobox.ens you have?

Mine from the ZIP is 29,504,827 and I just opened it successfully on my Mac. May be a PC problem, I'll load up VMware and see what I can do..
remix.net - versus / liveapi / hangthedj / ammobox

stutter
Posts: 488
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:58 pm

Post by stutter » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:35 pm

After 5 minutes playing, sidechained gate seems to work quite nicely after Reaktor to allow my mixer crossfader to function

Nathan Ramella
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:48 am

Donations donations donation.. Make ammobox BETTER

Post by Nathan Ramella » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:50 pm

Hi guys,

A quick note -- so far I've gotten $40 USD (and thank you very much to the people who donated!) But we need more! Here's why..

I've thrown down the gauntlet to the Reaktor community to make ammobox better, I'm offering up $150 total ($40 from donations, $110 out of pocket) to improve ammobox's time code reader.

If I receive more than $150 in donations, I will apply _all_ of what I receive to the contest/bounty, your donations can directly affect how ammobox improves.

Now, $150 isn't much, but it's more than anyone offers for Reaktor work, and it's a commitment from me that I want to see ammobox improve for its users. It's a prototype but I want to make it the single best DJ tool available before 2008 is over. You can help by donating! Instead of it being a measly $150, the sky is the limit if you help, reward whoever makes it happen!

Goto http://www.remix.net/wiki/ammobox for details. If you're a DSP badass and a Reaktor user, throw your hat in the ring and win the prize, you will be glorified in the future of ammobox as the person who made a good idea great.
remix.net - versus / liveapi / hangthedj / ammobox

stutter
Posts: 488
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:58 pm

Post by stutter » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:22 pm

so, I was pretty tired last night, incredibly tired in fact, and after I'd cooked some dinner and stared blankly at the wall for a little bit as my body subliminally tried to shut down, I came upstairs to try my new mic and the Serato record I'd received in the post, only to find I couldn't quite figure out even how to plug my decks into my soundcard into Reaktor. Frustrating. Gave up, slept.

Tonight, in five minutes, I've just sung and beatboxed into the mic over a drumloop of mine I tend to load into Live when I'm testing things. Then scratched stabs over all of that looping, with the snares from the drum loop. Then exported my voice, re-imported into Ammobox, and scratched myself over all of that. Gotta love technology.

Nathan Ramella
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:48 am

Post by Nathan Ramella » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:38 pm

stutter wrote:so, I was pretty tired last night, incredibly tired in fact, and after I'd cooked some dinner and stared blankly at the wall for a little bit as my body subliminally tried to shut down, I came upstairs to try my new mic and the Serato record I'd received in the post, only to find I couldn't quite figure out even how to plug my decks into my soundcard into Reaktor. Frustrating. Gave up, slept.

Tonight, in five minutes, I've just sung and beatboxed into the mic over a drumloop of mine I tend to load into Live when I'm testing things. Then scratched stabs over all of that looping, with the snares from the drum loop. Then exported my voice, re-imported into Ammobox, and scratched myself over all of that. Gotta love technology.
OUR FIRST SUCCESS STORY

BAM
remix.net - versus / liveapi / hangthedj / ammobox

nonnus
Posts: 420
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:10 pm
Location: Portugal
Contact:

Post by nonnus » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:06 am

nathan,

from what i understand u are wiling to try new approach towards digital scratching, kudos to u for that

but...

is it possible to use ammobox as a "regular" digital dj system ?
i.e: just to beatmatch different tracks

from the quick growing rate of this thread, this topic seems quite hot now:
wouldn t it be interesting if these knowledge could be applied into live itself, probably developing live devices that would receive timecoded input and do anything with it, either midi or audio


p.s: how to use the timecode gen ?
i cannot seem to find any output from it

p.p.s: never mind, found it, just had to route the spd signal to output

should the timecode be recorded in dual mono ? same spd signal on L and R
Last edited by nonnus on Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kpa
Posts: 179
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:50 pm
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Contact:

Post by kpa » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:54 am

Nathan Ramella wrote: Hmm! What is the filesize of the ammobox.ens you have?

Mine from the ZIP is 29,504,827 and I just opened it successfully on my Mac. May be a PC problem, I'll load up VMware and see what I can do..
Yeah, from the ZIP it's the same size as above. Tried it again today and it still says tha same problem.

I've no idea what to try next. Maybe ill reinstall reaktor, see if that works.


kpa
Cryptomnesian - the recall of memories not recognised as such, but thought to be original ideas.
www.Cryptomnesian.com
www.myspace.com/thekpa
www.myspace.com/thebodesapha

Nathan Ramella
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:48 am

Post by Nathan Ramella » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:56 pm

kpa wrote:
Nathan Ramella wrote: Hmm! What is the filesize of the ammobox.ens you have?

Mine from the ZIP is 29,504,827 and I just opened it successfully on my Mac. May be a PC problem, I'll load up VMware and see what I can do..
Yeah, from the ZIP it's the same size as above. Tried it again today and it still says tha same problem.

I've no idea what to try next. Maybe ill reinstall reaktor, see if that works.


kpa
I just did a clean install of Reaktor on a stock WinXP system and was able to load ammobox no problem. Try reinstalling Reaktor.
remix.net - versus / liveapi / hangthedj / ammobox

emptypond
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:52 pm

Post by emptypond » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:23 pm

not working here.. live6, os x, traktor vinyls, halp... any detailed instructions how to work this thing? thanks

Post Reply